Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

“5E Monster Manual” template?

I saw a youtube video set up by taking 20, and he set up a template for each of his monsters. Does anyone have a great set up for their monster manual template besides the ones he shared? 
Spren
Sheet Author
I'm not sure what you mean. Could you post the video or give a bit more detail?

Edited 1585538183
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Cody's method is to set up an NPC template with some fairly universal Actions. He then duplicates that template, and drags the entry from the compendium over the open sheet of the copy. This fills in all of the fields. It's a quirky approach, and I'm not sure if it still works for all fields (the video is fairly old.)
keithcurtis said: Cody's method is to set up a n NPC template with some fairly universal Actions. He then duplicates that template, and drags the entry from the compendium over the open sheet of the copy. This fills in all of the fields. It's a quirky approach, and I'm not sure if it still works for all fields (the video is fairly old.) so what if I wanted to make this template without being able to drag Entries over. I don’t mind entering them in manually. 
I use the one he posted but I added a skill check macro. Works great just double check the character sheet before combat to make sure you're not missing something @{selected|wtype}&{template:simple} @{selected|rtype}?{Skill |Acrobatics,+[[(@{selected|acrobatics_bonus}@{selected|pbd_safe}*(1-ceil((@{selected|npc})*0.00001)))+(@{selected|npc_acrobatics}*@{selected|npc})]][ACRO] ]]}} {{rname=^{acrobatics-u}}} {{mod=[[ [[(@{selected|acrobatics_bonus}@{selected|pbd_safe}*(1-ceil((@{selected|npc})*0.00001)))+(@{selected|npc_acrobatics}*@{selected|npc})]][ACRO] ]]}} {{r1=[[@{selected|d20}+[[(@{selected|acrobatics_bonus}@{selected|pbd_safe}*(1-ceil((@{selected|npc})*0.00001)))+(@{selected|npc_acrobatics}*@{selected|npc})]][ACRO] ]] |Animal Handling,+[[(@{selected|animal_handling_bonus}@{selected|pbd_safe}*(1-ceil((@{selected|npc})*0.00001)))+(@{selected|npc_animal_handling}*@{selected|npc})]][ANIM] ]]}} {{rname=^{animal-handling-u}}}{{mod=[[ (@{selected|animal_handling_bonus}@{selected|pbd_safe}*(1-ceil((@{selected|npc})*0.00001)))+(@{selected|npc_animal_handling}*@{selected|npc})]][ANIM] ]]}} {{r1=[[@{selected|d20}+[[(@{selected|animal_handling_bonus}@{selected|pbd_safe}*(1-ceil((@{selected|npc})*0.00001)))+(@{selected|npc_animal_handling}*@{selected|npc})]][ANIM] ]] |Arcana,+[[(@{selected|arcana_bonus}@{selected|pbd_safe}*(1-ceil((@{selected|npc})*0.00001)))+(@{selected|npc_arcana}*@{selected|npc})]][ARC] ]]}} {{rname=^{arcana-u}}} {{mod=[[ [[(@{selected|arcana_bonus}@{selected|pbd_safe}*(1-ceil((@{selected|npc})*0.00001)))+(@{selected|npc_arcana}*@{selected|npc})]][ARCA] ]]}} {{r1=[[@{selected|d20}+[[(@{selected|arcana_bonus}@{selected|pbd_safe}*(1-ceil((@{selected|npc})*0.00001)))+(@{selected|npc_arcana}*@{selected|npc})]][ARCA] ]] |Athletics,+[[(@{selected|athletics_bonus}@{selected|pbd_safe}*(1-ceil((@{selected|npc})*0.00001)))+(@{selected|npc_athletics}*@{selected|npc})]][ARC] ]]}} {{rname=^{athletics-u}}} {{mod=[[ [[(@{selected|athletics_bonus}@{selected|pbd_safe}*(1-ceil((@{selected|npc})*0.00001)))+(@{selected|npc_athletics}*@{selected|npc})]][ATHL] ]]}} {{r1=[[@{selected|d20}+[[(@{selected|athletics_bonus}@{selected|pbd_safe}*(1-ceil((@{selected|npc})*0.00001)))+(@{selected|npc_athletics}*@{selected|npc})]][ATHL] ]] |Decpetion,+[[(@{selected|deception_bonus}@{selected|pbd_safe}*(1-ceil((@{selected|npc})*0.00001)))+(@{selected|npc_deception}*@{selected|npc})]][ARC] ]]}} {{rname=^{deception-u}}} {{mod=[[ [[(@{selected|deception_bonus}@{selected|pbd_safe}*(1-ceil((@{selected|npc})*0.00001)))+(@{selected|npc_deception}*@{selected|npc})]][DECE] ]]}} {{r1=[[@{selected|d20}+[[(@{selected|deception_bonus}@{selected|pbd_safe}*(1-ceil((@{selected|npc})*0.00001)))+(@{selected|npc_deception}*@{selected|npc})]][DECE] ]] |History,+[[(@{selected|history_bonus}@{selected|pbd_safe}*(1-ceil((@{selected|npc})*0.00001)))+(@{selected|npc_history}*@{selected|npc})]][ARC] ]]}} {{rname=^{history-u}}} {{mod=[[ [[(@{selected|history_bonus}@{selected|pbd_safe}*(1-ceil((@{selected|npc})*0.00001)))+(@{selected|npc_history}*@{selected|npc})]][HIST] ]]}} {{r1=[[@{selected|d20}+[[(@{selected|history_bonus}@{selected|pbd_safe}*(1-ceil((@{selected|npc})*0.00001)))+(@{selected|npc_history}*@{selected|npc})]][HIST] ]] |Insight,+[[(@{selected|insight_bonus}@{selected|pbd_safe}*(1-ceil((@{selected|npc})*0.00001)))+(@{selected|npc_insight}*@{selected|npc})]][ARC] ]]}} {{rname=^{insight-u}}} {{mod=[[ [[(@{selected|insight_bonus}@{selected|pbd_safe}*(1-ceil((@{selected|npc})*0.00001)))+(@{selected|npc_insight}*@{selected|npc})]][INSI] ]]}} {{r1=[[@{selected|d20}+[[(@{selected|insight_bonus}@{selected|pbd_safe}*(1-ceil((@{selected|npc})*0.00001)))+(@{selected|npc_insight}*@{selected|npc})]][INSI] ]] |Intimidation,+[[(@{selected|intimidation_bonus}@{selected|pbd_safe}*(1-ceil((@{selected|npc})*0.00001)))+(@{selected|npc_intimidation}*@{selected|npc})]][ARC] ]]}} {{rname=^{intimidation-u}}} {{mod=[[ [[(@{selected|intimidation_bonus}@{selected|pbd_safe}*(1-ceil((@{selected|npc})*0.00001)))+(@{selected|npc_intimidation}*@{selected|npc})]][INTI] ]]}} {{r1=[[@{selected|d20}+[[(@{selected|intimidation_bonus}@{selected|pbd_safe}*(1-ceil((@{selected|npc})*0.00001)))+(@{selected|npc_intimidation}*@{selected|npc})]][INTI] ]] |Investigation,+[[(@{selected|investigation_bonus}@{selected|pbd_safe}*(1-ceil((@{selected|npc})*0.00001)))+(@{selected|npc_investigation}*@{selected|npc})]][ARC] ]]}} {{rname=^{investigation-u}}} {{mod=[[ [[(@{selected|investigation_bonus}@{selected|pbd_safe}*(1-ceil((@{selected|npc})*0.00001)))+(@{selected|npc_investigation}*@{selected|npc})]][INVE] ]]}} {{r1=[[@{selected|d20}+[[(@{selected|investigation_bonus}@{selected|pbd_safe}*(1-ceil((@{selected|npc})*0.00001)))+(@{selected|npc_investigation}*@{selected|npc})]][INVE] ]] |Medicine,+[[(@{selected|medicine_bonus}@{selected|pbd_safe}*(1-ceil((@{selected|npc})*0.00001)))+(@{selected|npc_medicine}*@{selected|npc})]][ARC] ]]}} {{rname=^{medicine-u}}} {{mod=[[ [[(@{selected|medicine_bonus}@{selected|pbd_safe}*(1-ceil((@{selected|npc})*0.00001)))+(@{selected|npc_medicine}*@{selected|npc})]][MEDI] ]]}} {{r1=[[@{selected|d20}+[[(@{selected|medicine_bonus}@{selected|pbd_safe}*(1-ceil((@{selected|npc})*0.00001)))+(@{selected|npc_medicine}*@{selected|npc})]][MEDI] ]] |Nature,+[[(@{selected|nature_bonus}@{selected|pbd_safe}*(1-ceil((@{selected|npc})*0.00001)))+(@{selected|npc_nature}*@{selected|npc})]][ARC] ]]}} {{rname=^{nature-u}}} {{mod=[[ [[(@{selected|nature_bonus}@{selected|pbd_safe}*(1-ceil((@{selected|npc})*0.00001)))+(@{selected|npc_nature}*@{selected|npc})]][NATU] ]]}} {{r1=[[@{selected|d20}+[[(@{selected|nature_bonus}@{selected|pbd_safe}*(1-ceil((@{selected|npc})*0.00001)))+(@{selected|npc_nature}*@{selected|npc})]][NATU] ]] |Perception,+[[(@{selected|perception_bonus}@{selected|pbd_safe}*(1-ceil((@{selected|npc})*0.00001)))+(@{selected|npc_perception}*@{selected|npc})]][ARC] ]]}} {{rname=^{perception-u}}} {{mod=[[ [[(@{selected|perception_bonus}@{selected|pbd_safe}*(1-ceil((@{selected|npc})*0.00001)))+(@{selected|npc_perception}*@{selected|npc})]][PERC] ]]}} {{r1=[[@{selected|d20}+[[(@{selected|perception_bonus}@{selected|pbd_safe}*(1-ceil((@{selected|npc})*0.00001)))+(@{selected|npc_perception}*@{selected|npc})]][PERC] ]] |Performance,+[[(@{selected|performance_bonus}@{selected|pbd_safe}*(1-ceil((@{selected|npc})*0.00001)))+(@{selected|npc_performance}*@{selected|npc})]][ARC] ]]}} {{rname=^{performance-u}}} {{mod=[[ [[(@{selected|performance_bonus}@{selected|pbd_safe}*(1-ceil((@{selected|npc})*0.00001)))+(@{selected|npc_performance}*@{selected|npc})]][PERF] ]]}} {{r1=[[@{selected|d20}+[[(@{selected|performance_bonus}@{selected|pbd_safe}*(1-ceil((@{selected|npc})*0.00001)))+(@{selected|npc_performance}*@{selected|npc})]][PERF] ]] |Persuasion,+[[(@{selected|persuasion_bonus}@{selected|pbd_safe}*(1-ceil((@{selected|npc})*0.00001)))+(@{selected|npc_persuasion}*@{selected|npc})]][ARC] ]]}} {{rname=^{persuasion-u}}} {{mod=[[ [[(@{selected|persuasion_bonus}@{selected|pbd_safe}*(1-ceil((@{selected|npc})*0.00001)))+(@{selected|npc_persuasion}*@{selected|npc})]][PERS] ]]}} {{r1=[[@{selected|d20}+[[(@{selected|persuasion_bonus}@{selected|pbd_safe}*(1-ceil((@{selected|npc})*0.00001)))+(@{selected|npc_persuasion}*@{selected|npc})]][PERS] ]] |Religion,+[[(@{selected|religion_bonus}@{selected|pbd_safe}*(1-ceil((@{selected|npc})*0.00001)))+(@{selected|npc_religion}*@{selected|npc})]][ARC] ]]}} {{rname=^{religion-u}}} {{mod=[[ [[(@{selected|religion_bonus}@{selected|pbd_safe}*(1-ceil((@{selected|npc})*0.00001)))+(@{selected|npc_religion}*@{selected|npc})]][RELI] ]]}} {{r1=[[@{selected|d20}+[[(@{selected|religion_bonus}@{selected|pbd_safe}*(1-ceil((@{selected|npc})*0.00001)))+(@{selected|npc_religion}*@{selected|npc})]][RELI] ]] |Sleight of Hand,+[[(@{selected|sleight_of_hand_bonus}@{selected|pbd_safe}*(1-ceil((@{selected|npc})*0.00001)))+(@{selected|npc_sleight_of_hand}*@{selected|npc})]][ARC] ]]}} {{rname=^{sleight_of_hand-u}}} {{mod=[[ [[(@{selected|sleight_of_hand_bonus}@{selected|pbd_safe}*(1-ceil((@{selected|npc})*0.00001)))+(@{selected|npc_sleight_of_hand}*@{selected|npc})]][SLEI] ]]}} {{r1=[[@{selected|d20}+[[(@{selected|sleight_of_hand_bonus}@{selected|pbd_safe}*(1-ceil((@{selected|npc})*0.00001)))+(@{selected|npc_sleight_of_hand}*@{selected|npc})]][SLEI] ]] |Stealth,+[[(@{selected|stealth_bonus}@{selected|pbd_safe}*(1-ceil((@{selected|npc})*0.00001)))+(@{selected|npc_stealth}*@{selected|npc})]][ARC] ]]}} {{rname=^{stealth-u}}} {{mod=[[ [[(@{selected|stealth_bonus}@{selected|pbd_safe}*(1-ceil((@{selected|npc})*0.00001)))+(@{selected|npc_stealth}*@{selected|npc})]][STEA] ]]}} {{r1=[[@{selected|d20}+[[(@{selected|stealth_bonus}@{selected|pbd_safe}*(1-ceil((@{selected|npc})*0.00001)))+(@{selected|npc_stealth}*@{selected|npc})]][STEA] ]] |Survival,+[[(@{selected|survival_bonus}@{selected|pbd_safe}*(1-ceil((@{selected|npc})*0.00001)))+(@{selected|npc_survival}*@{selected|npc})]][ARC] ]]}} {{rname=^{survival-u}}} {{mod=[[ [[(@{selected|survival_bonus}@{selected|pbd_safe}*(1-ceil((@{selected|npc})*0.00001)))+(@{selected|npc_survival}*@{selected|npc})]][SURV] ]]}} {{r1=[[@{selected|d20}+[[(@{selected|survival_bonus}@{selected|pbd_safe}*(1-ceil((@{selected|npc})*0.00001)))+(@{selected|npc_survival}*@{selected|npc})]][SURV] ]] }}} @{selected|global_skill_mod} @{selected|charname_output}
So where do I put all this amazing info? 

Edited 1585543913
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Heh, I just got finished posting something very similar: NPC Statblock Chat Menu for D&D 5e sheet — No API The installation instructions in that post will also work for the above macro.
keithcurtis said: Cody's method is to set up an NPC template with some fairly universal Actions. He then duplicates that template, and drags the entry from the compendium over the open sheet of the copy. This fills in all of the fields. It's a quirky approach, and I'm not sure if it still works for all fields (the video is fairly old.) So you said it’s quirky how would you go about having the macros from the character sheet for each monster across the top of your screen? 

Edited 1585618155
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Follow the link I gave above. The installation instructions tell you exactly how. :) Basically, save a macro in the collections tab as a token action. It becomes available for any selected token you control.
Oh is that different than how he did it seemed similar 
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
His way is a little more fine-tuned to each character but a LOT more work. And again, I'm not sure how well the "drag a compendium entry over an open character sheet" method works these days.
I wanted to enter them in I don’t need the drag from the compendium I just want a great template so I don’t have to enter all the macros and everything in for each monster. 
More work to set up or more work with each new entry? 

Edited 1585638446
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
You are welcome to use whatever method you want, of course. I'm just trying to save you time and effort. The installation method I outlined means that the macro is automatically available to every monster, regardless of whether it came from the compendium, a module, or you created it from scratch. The button is just there. It's not a template, just a button that works for every NPC monster.