Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Dynamic Lighting

I have a curious question regarding your website, specifically the Dynamic Lighting part. On your Main Page it says under "Is this really free?": "We do offer totally optional supporter accounts for those who want additional storage space and to support the costs of running the site, but we will always offer all the features you're reading about completely free -- no gimmicks. " When in fact you are offering Dynamic Lighting only to Supporter and Mentor Levels, which contradicts your statement. Dynamic Lighting is one of your heavily advertised features and is in fact - not free. I wouldnt mind supporting roll20 but i find this part questionable. Will Dynamic Lighting be available to the public? If so, when?
I believe it's still considered to be in the trial stage, but I could be wrong. Supporting the site just allows you access to the experimental functionality first. At least that's my understanding unless that has changed. I'm curious to see what the official response(s) will be.
Dynamic Lighting is still a pretty new feature, introduced near the end of last year if I'm not mistaken, and as such it's probably still considered "in trial", it is pretty stable now though, as far as I know, so unless they've had a change of heart concerning that little claim it'll probably dribble down the levels eventually :). But yes, would be good to have (an) official response(s) to refer to, since it's the third time I've seen this question come up in the past week.
Thomas-- Answered your email, but answering here as well. The website is accurate; the features on the front page that cover the basic and most consistent uses of the program are free.  The more advanced features, like dynamic lighting and mobile support, are paid features as they are above the basic use of the program and give us an opportunity to make income in order to continue working on the program (offering improvements that benefit both free and paid accounts).   There are no plans to bring dynamic lighting to free users, but they will be benefiting from several impending updates that allow maps to load faster and make it easier to find games.  Free users will always be important to us, but without paying users, we wouldn't have a program.  Hope you understand. For those curious-- "Mentor" subscriptions are really where the more experimental features are, while "Supporter" is where features that have additional functionality (and often the need for some additional support on our end) exist.  Additionally, I'd like to add that (as the person who runs the purposeful advertising of Roll20), that dynamic lighting is NOT something we have heavily advertised.  We've made two videos-- as it's best shown via video-- but it's not something we regularly are posting on social media or making a heavy part of our public discussions.  Paid features such as the podcast or marketplace items are currently things that we push, but do so specifically pointing out that they are either for subscribers or purchase. There will probably come a day when we more heavily push dynamic lighting, but when we do so there will be no effort to conceal it as an advanced / paid feature.  We really do maintain transparency on these issues, and it really is very, very possible to play games in Roll20 for free-- something you'll hear me often say is that Roll20 still doesn't have any features that I personally view as something that would have forced my hand in subscribing, and I believe that.  While the advertisements and polish of the site might have made me interested, the game features of the free account fully cover my needs and I'm really proud that we offer something that robust to free users. I won't claim we have this down to a science, but this method is serving us and the community well so far.  We'll see what the future brings.
Well there we have it, right from the oracle's own mouth :)
First i wanna thank you for the quick response, i didnt know if i got the right email adress in the first place or if it will be answered - really fast feedback from your side. Thank you for the honesty and i can understand and accept this business decision even if i find it really disheartening.
To avoid future confusion, we did tweak the start page: Yes! Roll20 is absolutely free to use for both GMs and players. Initial development of Roll20 was funded via Kickstarter, and we do offer totally optional supporter accounts for those who want access to additional perks (like more storage space and direct access to the Dev team) to help fund further improvements. But even if you're on a Base account for free, you'll still have access to everything you need to run your game -- unlimited campaigns and players and access to all the great features listed on this page.