Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Issues with hexagonal shaped tokens

I'm trying to use hexagonal shaped tokens on hexagonal grid to make an outdoor map. I'm having some issues. * The tokens will auto scale to be small or larger than a hexagonal tile. I'll have to scale each token directly using the ALT key to make it fill in the entire space. * Moving groups of tokens can be difficult. If I grab an even amount of tokens, they auto snap to the middle of the hexagonal tiles. Selecting an odd amount snaps correctly. Has anyone tried what I'm trying and have any tips?
I got the hidden terrain tokens setup now. Here is a screen shot. <a href="http://screencast.com/t/aEx7z79p" rel="nofollow">http://screencast.com/t/aEx7z79p</a> They are on the token layer. On the map layer I'll put the actually terrain tokens. As players discover the terrain, I'll just delete the hidden terrain tokens. Should be a piece of cake. I just wish it had been a little easier to setup :)
Ok, so this is what the players will see when they start. I'll probably add a visible road to, since they had to get to this castle somehow, but overall, I think this works. <a href="http://imgur.com/W8IZVCu" rel="nofollow">http://imgur.com/W8IZVCu</a>
Noticed the same thing, though I don't do hex mapping. Instead i try to steal a realistic looking map off the internet and then just use the hexes as a proxy for more natural movement, as opposed to doing grids which i don't like because the movement is weird. Hexes work pretty well on non-hex maps. I basically let a player use a half hex, if the hex is at least half over an area they walk. With regards to the hex tokens though. I tried making hex sized player tokens, and it really didn't look good, no matter what I did with the PNG. I think in order to make it work you have to size the image to be exactly a number of pixals as a function of width and height, so that the ratio of pixals is exactly the same as hex. I spent an hour playing with it and couldn't get it to work, .. so i just made my player tokens and monster tokens circular instead.
Yeah, I'll keep PC and creature tokens circular, if nothing else to provide contrast. I'm doing this mostly to force myself not to fixate on the art. I can spend way too much time trying to make nice maps and end up not creating enough detailed content.
Konrad J.
Pro
API Scripter
The problem has existed forever. Hex still needs the devs to work on I think. I did some calculations on Hex size last year, just looked back on the thread and did some calcs today and things seem to be different? :( Here is what I got today. Hex (V) 75x90 Hex (H) 79x93 The problem with the way Hex grids work at the moment is when you place an image on either hex grid it auto snaps to the size of a square grid (70x70). A hex of course is longer in one direction than the other. And the roll20 hex grid isn't even one unit in one direction, its larger than 70 pixels in both directions. The trick is to turn the grid off, then place your hex tokens, then turn the grid back on. If you make the tokens the above size in pxels in a graphics program then they should line up nicely. If you resize them by accident then then snap back to 70x70. Just press Ctrl Z to cancel that change. But there is a problem with making a token the above size in pixels. It won't look that great at all zoom levels. Thats because its only at 70 pixels resolution. Normally you would design a token at maybe 280x280 pixels. Then when roll20 resizes it on a square grid to 70x70 it still looks good at higher zoom levels since roll20 stores the token at different sizes for the zoom and you gave it more pixels to store. But if we created our Hex token at a higher multiple of pixels then when we place it on the map (with no grid) it won't be the right size and we would be back to manually resizing everything.
Thank you so much! Turning off the grid when importing graphics solved the scaling issue. This is exactly what I needed :)