Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

How do you recommend using "has sight" & advanced FoW reveal controls with light radius

Hi all! So, when using Advanced Fog of War, im finding it tricky to get the intended effects of traditional 5e vision rules. Shouldn't light radius be the same control as "advanced FoW reveal"? Or would it be a good rule of thumb to sort of always mimic the values? In what situations would that not be the case? Let's say a group is in a dungeon that's pitch black. Of the three, one of them has darkvision out to 60 feet, but the others are humans. Would the darkvision person get 60ft of light emitted and 60ft AFoW reveal, thus allowing the player to see for 60 feet?  At the same time, those humans would see their tokens above the FoW which will essentially be all black until they light a torch or something? And then when they light a torch is it just 40/20 light with a 20 foot AFow Reveal? Any insights would be appreciated! Thanks so much

Edited 1585846985
A player that has darkvision does not actually see properly in the dark. They only see darkness as dim light and only in shades of gray. I see a lot of DMs misunderstand this and give them a full range of sight in darkness so allow me to point it out. If I have an Elf with a darkvision of 60 ft and he has not lit a torch, the Emits Light should be at 60/0 settings. This will give the player a vision of dim light within 60ft because he has no light source. If the elf lights a torch, the elf will be able to see a total of 40ft in bright light because a torch has 20ft of bright and 20 ft of dim light. The elf with a torch will have an Emits Light of 60/40.
I feel like I have traditionally understood it how you explained, but not until I started using Roll20 did I get a more clear picture of how it should literally affect the game. So that said, lets say the Elf is at 60/40 with the torch - in that circumstance, what would you set the AFoW reveal to? 40?