Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Roll two dice and check the SUM against success number??

I’ve read about success numbers on each due in a dice pool. But what about for the sum of dice in a roll? 
GiGs
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
You can do it in several ways. Put the dice in inline roll brackets so its treated as a single roll, like so /roll [[1d6+1d8]]>7 Put them in a group, and have a second roll that is meaningless to make the group work: /roll {1d6+1d8,1d0}>7
Thanks. I tried this : [[2d6 + ?{attribute mod} + ?{skill mod}]]>7 the roll works fine but the last bit > 7 doesn’t seem to change anything? I’m looking to  get it to compare the result to “8 or more” and say “success” or 7 or less as failure?   I’ve searched the forums but I can’t find anything that helps. My understanding is not great so so I probably missed something..?
Kraynic
Pro
Sheet Author
Using /roll and the inline roll of [[]] have different behavior in some instances.  I believe that success/failure is one of those instances.  Did you try the examples provided by GiGs?  If you need 8 as the threshold, then change the 7 to 8.

Edited 1586019771
Yes  - the roll works and it says 1 success (this is obviously set up for dice pools) but it then doesn’t give the value. I’m playing traveller and want to know if 8 or over and by how much. I can just interpret the raw number of course but thought it would be useful to have “success” or “fail” displayed along with the difference from 8. But I’m starting to think that’s too ambitious ..
Kraynic
Pro
Sheet Author
Ah, I see.  It would probably take an api script to do what you are after.  You could write your macro (and maybe you already are) to display the target number so at least you have an easy reference.  I'm assuming the target number is different for different characters/actions.
Thanks Kraynic.  No, the target is always 8 but the “effect” ie how much above or below 8 is important eg roll a 12 it’s an effect of 4. That adds to weapon damage and the level of success of a task.  What’s an API script?  Thanks for you help. 
Kraynic
Pro
Sheet Author
Access to the api is a pro subscription perk.  There are a lot of scripts already in existence so there may be one already that does something similar to what you want. Or that can be set up to do what you want. Just out of curiosity, have you thought about writing the macro for these checks so that it subtracts 8 from the result?  Anything negative would obviously be a failure and the 0 would be exactly on.  Anything above 0 would be how far the roll exceeded the check.
No I hadn’t thought of that! Excellent idea. Thanks. 
GiGs
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
The reason this [[2d6 + ?{attribute mod} + ?{skill mod}]]>7 didnt work properly is because you still needed /roll at the start of that. [[ ]] turns whatever is inside it into a roll, but doesnt have any effect outside it. So you'd turned the first part into a roll, but the >7 was just text. /roll [[2d6 + ?{attribute mod} + ?{skill mod}]]>7 makes it work again. But since you want to see the total and whether it's a success, you cant do it this way as you've learned. If the subtract 8 method works, great. Personally I'd just remove that part and do /roll 2d6 + ?{attribute mod} + ?{skill mod} You know 8+ is always a success, and you can see the exact roll.  Just because you can do something with the computer, doesnt mean you always should. Sometimes manual is better.
Thanks GiGs, I just saw this. Yes, manual works but would be cool to have it automated. Suprised someone hasn't set this already. I guess the (really quite large) traveller community hasn't made it on here in force yet.
GiGs
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
There are plenty of traveller players-  there's at least 3 editions of traveller have character sheets here. But roll20 dice have some limitations. Some things just aren't possible with a basic dice roll - this is one of them. One of the character sheets might have a built-in rolltemplate that does this, though. The designer of a character sheet can do some things with rolls that normal players can't.