Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Macro with /as @{selected|token_name} breaks for players AND doesnt give GM an error message

Macro with /as @{selected|token_name} works fine for the Game Master, but throws up an error message "Unrecognized command:" for the player. And what's worse, the GM cant even see the error message! Same for /as @{selected|character_name}. This couses confusion. Furthermore, since players might be using a secondary token, such as their wizard's familiar, they also need access to the /as comand in token action macros.

Edited 1586117187
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
What is the macro used for? If they are trying to use it as an emote style macro, test out using the /me or /em instead of /as. The /as command is strictly a GM command:&nbsp; <a href="https://wiki.roll20.net/Text_Chat#Speaking_and_Emoting_as_a_Random_NPC_.28.2Fas.29_.28.2Femas.29" rel="nofollow">https://wiki.roll20.net/Text_Chat#Speaking_and_Emoting_as_a_Random_NPC_.28.2Fas.29_.28.2Femas.29</a>
The macros are for varios actions- attacking, dodging, rolling perception. I dont want the chat to look like chat output: BobThePlayer: token_name uses Perception! Instead I want it to look chat output: AureliusTheWizard: uses Perception! or chat output: FamiliarOfAurelius: uses Perception! using the name of the currently selected token. As I said, it works for the GM, but not for the player. The workauround is for players to set their display name as their characters name, and just leaving the body of the macro itself "uses Perception!". But then it will look as chat output: AureliusTheWizard: uses Perception! no matter which token is selected at the moment.
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Well as I mentioned, the "/as" command is strictly for the GM to use and will produce an error when anyone else uses it. You are going to need to rewrite the macros to reflect this change. If you want to post a macro or two, the community might be able to suggest a change that could work.