Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Terrible FPS and loss of responsiveness

Edited 1399894106
Sithun
Pro
Sheet Author
This is probably not an issue most people encounter, but me and my players experienced horrible fps/lag last time we played. We played on this map and all of us noticed that moving or selecting tokens took around half a second each time. Now, im trying to figure out why this happened. The map is of quite large resolution, that could be one thing. The problem does not arise on smaller maps, as far as i've noticed and tested. EDIT: Also, the gratuitous amount of freehand-drawn dynamic lighting borders could have something to do with it. If so, what is the recommended way to draw them? Snap to grid? The problem occurs on all my players, but differs between Firefox and Chrome. In Chrome, There is the afforementioned lag, 0.5 - 1 sec delays in selecting and moving tokens. In Firefox, the lag is less noticable (<0.5 sec delay), but after a while the display locks up, i.e. the view doesnt update the screen when scrolling the map, or moving tokens. The scrollbars update, but not the map. Restarting Firefox solves the issue temporarily. I guess my main question is: What is the upper recommended limit on imported image resolutions in Roll20?
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Frej B. said: This is probably not an issue most people encounter, but me and my players experienced horrible fps/lag last time we played. We played on this map and all of us noticed that moving or selecting tokens took around half a second each time. EDIT: Also, the gratuitous amount of freehand-drawn dynamic lighting borders could have something to do with it. If so, what is the recommended way to draw them? Snap to grid? That bolded section causes the main lag problems. It is noted that freehand dynamic lighting is a memory hog and the work around is not to use freehand but polyline dynamics. The secondary problem that is usually associated with the resolution of maps. The higher the dpi the more memory it uses then when you combine the two it causes severe lag with the computer's video card. That is why you click on something to move it and it seems to lag. I don't remember what the recommended dpi should be but if you redo the dynamic lighting with the polylines you should get better results.

Edited 1399906425
Gid
Roll20 Team
72 dpi for graphics is a good baseline for Roll20 images to start from (and well, the web in general). Image resolution doesn't actually affect how an image displays on screen. It's the image dimensions that matter when working digitally.

Edited 1399909840
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
I thought dpi was the resolution and the X by Y was the dimensions and that effect lag more? Learn something new everyday.
Gid
Roll20 Team
Oops, hopefully this wasn't overly confusing. What I mean, Pat, is that a 5 ppi/dpi image displays exactly the same as a 600 ppi/dpi image on screen. The difference is that a browser is going to chug A LOT harder to process the 600 ppi image because there's more data to the file, even if it displays exactly the same. You want to keep the image resolution small for fast loading web graphics is what I'm getting at.
Sithun
Pro
Sheet Author
/me Pats On Pat S's shoulder. That was apparently it. :D I deleted everything on that layer and it stopped lagging at once. Thanks for the help!
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
You're welcomed and glad it cleared up for you.