Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Maps and images are now dull, dark and no longer bright when placed

Since last evening (4/15) every map I load or place from my library into a game is no longer "bright" and looks very dull and darkened. They are their normal "bright" coloring in the library panel, but when placed on the game area they seem to get a dark coloration added to them. This is happening with all assets in the library. Dynamic Lighting is OFF, Fog of War is NOT ENABLED. Any insight? Thank you.
This is a screenshot of one of the pages. The upper image is the tile from the marketplace and the lower image is the same tile placed on my game map. You can see how the image is now dull and dark when placed. White images are appearing as grey when placed (see below). I can get the overall page to refresh itself and the various tiles will periodically light up for a moment then revert back to their dull and dark view. Here are the page settings:
I can think of three things to check.  Is there a token or aura in the GM layer that covers the whole map?  If you can select the whole GM layer and delete anything that turns up, you can eliminate this possibility. Is the opacity of the GM layer set higher than usual?  If you have been playing with the updated dynamic lighting, this might have happened either on the screen or on the default settings for the game. It is possible for tokens to have a tint set on them as a default.  If you look at the game settings, you will see token settings including tint that can be set by default. If it is none of those, some players have found that using the updated dynamic lighting and switching back to legacy leaves a "mask" on the page.  You may need to have a dev look at that.
Valerie M. said: I can think of three things to check.  Is there a token or aura in the GM layer that covers the whole map?  If you can select the whole GM layer and delete anything that turns up, you can eliminate this possibility. Is the opacity of the GM layer set higher than usual?  If you have been playing with the updated dynamic lighting, this might have happened either on the screen or on the default settings for the game. It is possible for tokens to have a tint set on them as a default.  If you look at the game settings, you will see token settings including tint that can be set by default. If it is none of those, some players have found that using the updated dynamic lighting and switching back to legacy leaves a "mask" on the page.  You may need to have a dev look at that. Valerie M., thank you for your information. I checked each of your recommendations and sadly it is none of those things. Thank you for your insight.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
One more thing to check. Have you verified that the graphics are going onto the appropriate layers?
keithcurtis said: One more thing to check. Have you verified that the graphics are going onto the appropriate layers? Thank you, yes. I am building everything on the background layer, but would move it to various layers to test that it was still happening, and it is.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Can you open the token editing window for one of these graphics, and post screen shots? That might help us track down the issue. Also zoom in as high as you can go and pan to each of the four corners of the map. Are they all dark?
keithcurtis said: Can you open the token editing window for one of these graphics, and post screen shots? That might help us track down the issue. Also zoom in as high as you can go and pan to each of the four corners of the map. Are they all dark? Thank you for your help. As requested, here are the token and zoomed screenshots.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Well that's got me stumped. If you want to send me an invite and gm promotion, I'd be happy to take a look, but I can't see anything wrong from what you have posted.
keithcurtis said: Well that's got me stumped. If you want to send me an invite and gm promotion, I'd be happy to take a look, but I can't see anything wrong from what you have posted. Invitation sent. Thank you for checking things out.

Edited 1656171888
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
For anyone following along, the issue was a default tint set on the settings page. It didn't appear as such to the user because white looks like transparent to people, and even appears as such if no one sets it. Devs, please, please fix this . The inability to set the tint properly on the game pages has been known for years. The interior is in rgba, the settings page is rgb. If you change the tint to anything on the game page, you cannot set it back to transparent without dev intervention. I question the need to even have this as a universal setting. If it cannot be changed, it should be removed to prevent new users from stumbling into this trap. Since this original post, the bug has long since been fixed, and transparency as the default tint may now beset on the Campaign Settings page.
keithcurtis, thanks for posting the solution to this mystery!