Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Any language scripts available?

Greetings! I am looking for an API Script to handle languages, as in my players and I can speak in languages and only those who understand the language can see the true text. Unfortunately, any decent script I found seems to 404 on the source code. Languages is dead, 404 on the github, not available in the Roll20Api library What did he Say? Is dead. 404 on the github source code. What Say with Unknown, available at <a href="https://gist.github.com/derekkoehl/88c064c4f365d483f133" rel="nofollow">https://gist.github.com/derekkoehl/88c064c4f365d483f133</a>, Does not work Straight up. It doesn't crash, it just doesn't work at all. Tongues, although nice, requires extensive setup and does not do what I want. So any script available? Thanks!
Forget about the script. Set up a character sheet for each language, give all players who can understand control of the character. Whisper to the character sheet and anybody who can understand sees it. I use a macro like: /w Klingon ?{what?|growl} @{selected|token_name} makes a series of grunting noises.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Tongues sounds like what you describe. What is it you want that is different?
al e. said: Forget about the script. Set up a character sheet for each language, give all players who can understand control of the character. Whisper to the character sheet and anybody who can understand sees it. I use a macro like: /w Klingon ?{what?|growl} @{selected|token_name} makes a series of grunting noises. Hmmm.... I guess that could work for the basics, with a macro. keithcurtis said: Tongues sounds like what you describe. What is it you want that is different? It seems to require extensive setup, as it comes with no languages prebuilt for it (to the contrary of the post made by its author, filled with the words to replace the languages and such). There is very little documentation on the script, although I haven't tried to see in game if there is more through the commands, I'll admit. How would I do what I want to do with Tongues?
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
There were a bunch of user-submitted languages in the thread. Lemme Google... The original script thread has some. Be sure to grab the code from The Aaron's update . IIRC, Tongues intercepts the message based on the API command given and "translates" it. If your character understands the language, then it is automatically whispered to you. Everyone else sees the foreign version. It does a simple cipher solution based on number of letters in a word, using an algorithm that each word consistently yields the same translated word, so that it has the appearance of consistency. You can also add a specific vocabulary so that particular words are always translated into specific cognomens: "Dwarves" =&gt; "Naugrim" for instance. The thread probably has better documentation.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Ah, I just found the github repository . More documentation and examples there.
You can even use unicode symbols. <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/7938907/unicode-languages-for-tongues-api-and-some-frog-speak" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/7938907/unicode-languages-for-tongues-api-and-some-frog-speak</a>
I always get an error and the API crashes whenever I have tried to use Tongues. I love the idea of it but I just can't get it to actually work.
If you need any help setting it up drop me a PM and I will see what I can do.
keithcurtis said: There were a bunch of user-submitted languages in the thread. Lemme Google... The original script thread has some. Be sure to grab the code from The Aaron's update . IIRC, Tongues intercepts the message based on the API command given and "translates" it. If your character understands the language, then it is automatically whispered to you. Everyone else sees the foreign version. It does a simple cipher solution based on number of letters in a word, using an algorithm that each word consistently yields the same translated word, so that it has the appearance of consistency. You can also add a specific vocabulary so that particular words are always translated into specific cognomens: "Dwarves" =&gt; "Naugrim" for instance. The thread probably has better documentation. Oh wow! There are some examples by the community, fantastic. Now that helps a lot, thanks! keithcurtis said: Ah, I just found the github repository . More documentation and examples there. Nice, documentation. Now I should be able to set it up. Ravenknight said: If you need any help setting it up drop me a PM and I will see what I can do. Thanks! Will do if I get trouble.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
I thought it sounded like a good fit to what you were looking for.
keithcurtis said: I thought it sounded like a good fit to what you were looking for. With this new information, most likely. The Author really ought to put the community written languages and a link to the documentation in his post! I tried googling earlier for the docs and couldn't find some, as strange as this may sound. Thank you again.
I've got it all setup now, it is working with the new script posted by keith. Fantastic! Thanks all.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Cool. I experimented with it back when it was being developed, but found it didn't fit our play style well, which almost never involves typing.
keithcurtis said: Cool. I experimented with it back when it was being developed, but found it didn't fit our play style well, which almost never involves typing. Out of curiosity, what did you end up going with?
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
We just role play it, like we would at the table. Our group is pretty cool with compartmentalizing meta game knowledge. I just ran a "Suicide Squad" type game, where all of the characters were tempted to betray the others. Some took the bait, some didn't, but no one acted on knowing &nbsp;who did. Same approach to language. If it's important, I'll type a whisper to the appropriate person. If it's an inscription that someone might translate, I'll usually have that typed out ahead of time for quick whispering, so the player can role play saying it out loud without parroting the DM.