Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Proficiency Die rolling extra dice

So I was hoping to experiment with my group with the proficiency die vs the flat bonus, however when I enable it in the game and/or 5e OGL sheet settings, for the proficiency die, any time it calls for using proficiency with 3d die rolls, extra dice are always rolled. For instance, One of my characters has a +3 dex modifier and is proficient in dex saves, so when I click to roll those die from the character sheet, I get the below 3d die rolls and the chat output. It's consistent in that the chat result only adds one of the die rolled, but depending on the skill, ability score modifier added, and/or prof bonus, I've seen it roll as many as 3 additional  proficiency die (even though it only adds one in the chat output). I initially tried this a week ago with the same results figuring it was a bug somewhere with the latest update, but it's been a week and I haven't been able to find any  posts about others experiencing this sort of thing... like anywhere. Not sure if the Prof Die rule is one that no one uses, no one uses with the OGL 5e sheet, or if I'm the only one having the problem. Things I've tried so far: Disabled all APIs Cleared Chrome cache Disabled VTT Enhancement Suite Chrome addin Tried it with existing and freshly-created PCs Changed the Prof Bonus option to "Custom" with 1d4 (and while this gave the correct result in the chat output, only  the 3d d20 was rolled, not the 1d4, even though it was added in the chat computation) Enabled/Disabled/Added/Removed the global modifier fields As a note, this happens across both my campaigns that I'm DMing, as well as a newly created one, a full copy of an existing one, and a copy carrying over nothing. It also happens when any of may players click their own sheets. Quite puzzled, Agnati
Miguel
Roll20 Production Team
Sheet Author
Thanks for reporting, Agnati. I will investigate this issue.
Miguel said: Thanks for reporting, Agnati. I will investigate this issue. Thanks. If I can help test anything, just let me know.

Edited 1587849881
Just FYI, I'm having the same problem, minus the rolling of extra additional dice beyond the two; I'm consistently seeing a total of two d4s rolled when rolling with Proficiency Dice enabled.  Also using Chrome browser, OGL 5e sheet. So it's not just Agnati.  For the record, Proficiency Dice are an amazing mechanic, you're not the only one using it. :D 
Define amazing.  I'm always looking for a good way to implement skill rolls.
Miguel
Roll20 Production Team
Sheet Author
I have already investigated and found the cause of this issue. Unfortunately, fixing it means refactoring all the rolls in the 5e sheet, skill, saving throws, attacks, etc., so it may take a while before this fix sees the light of the day. 

Edited 1587962348
Miguel  said: I have already investigated and found the cause of this issue. Unfortunately, fixing it means refactoring all the rolls in the 5e sheet, skill, saving throws, attacks, etc., so it may take a while before this fix sees the light of the day.  Oh, so all it takes is rewriting code for half the character sheet from the ground up? What are they waiting for?  XD But yet, knowing what the problem is  is  half the battle. I  eagerly  await this bug fix but I can appreciate the complexity of the situation. Thank you for your response, Miguel! Would this be something we should stack votes for for sake of priority (or lack of) in another thread, to weigh fixing this bug vs. engineering new functionality? -Agnati

Edited 1588268912
Patrick said: Define amazing.  I'm always looking for a good way to implement skill rolls. I'm not sure if you'd like this mechanic for your skill rolls, it really depends on how much tolerance you and your players have for increased "swingyness", as it changes the probability for rolls.  The way it works, you replace the static proficiency bonus of  2,3,4,5,6 with 1d4, 1d6, 1d8, 1d10, 1d12, respectively.  You can find this rule on page 263 of the DMG. You use this substitution with players only , everywhere the standard proficiency bonus is applied, other than passive scores, which, being passive, are calculated as normal; so while in most cases you end up with average numbers which are near those provided by the usual proficiency bonus, there are opportunities to get a result considerably higher or lower than using the static proficiency bonus.  For the players I have, they seem to especially like it for their spell saving throws, where maxing out the die results in their target's save being considerably higher than the usual static proficiency bonus would give them. (They also like rolling dice on the "versus save" rolls in general.) So, defining astonishing the same way Merriam-Webster does, "causing astonishment, great wonder, or surprise" I'd say that more opportunities for dice related mayhem at the table, both positive and negative for the players, results in a more amazing time IMO.
Agnati said: [...] Would this be something we should stack votes for for sake of priority (or lack of) in another thread, to weigh fixing this bug vs. engineering new functionality? I'm not entirely sure how this works, but if you do end up putting this in another thread, please respond here so I know where to go to "add my vote", thanks!
Miguel
Roll20 Production Team
Sheet Author
Just dropping by to let you folks know that this moved into testing. No extras d20s and a single proficiency die being rolled only once for both d20s when using advantage / disadvantage. For now it only works with saving, skills and tool rolls. Click to play:
That's amazing progress. Thank you and your team for working on it and for the update!! :D -Agnati