Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

[GURPS] - Sheet #1 - Thread 1

MadCoder
Pro
Sheet Author
Jesper V. said: Another question. How do i put in a set of armor? Equipment and armor is on our list of improvements, but here's what you can do for now.  Inventory Go to the Inventory tab, at the bottom is a table for entering your equipment and you can expand the line to enter more notes about the equipment. If you're wearing the armor, check the box under the ON column. This will total up your weight and then your encumbrance will be calculated, which will effect your move and dodge score. Armor Table Go to the Combat Tab. The far right column has a table of hit locations and a column for entering the DR.
The GURPS Character Sheet is amazing and saved me and my players a load of time. However, I'm kind of a noob in Roll20 and GURPS so if anybody would like to give me a few tips on how the character sheet works, macros and stuff like that, that'll be greatly appreciated.
Sriram G. said: The GURPS Character Sheet is amazing and saved me and my players a load of time. However, I'm kind of a noob in Roll20 and GURPS so if anybody would like to give me a few tips on how the character sheet works, macros and stuff like that, that'll be greatly appreciated. Something I do with spells is put the spell effects in the Success and Critical Success boxes, so you don't have to look them up.
A few random little requests: Ability to base an attack off an attribute, not just a skill. Damage based off ST-derived thrust/swing damage, much as muscle-powered weapons typically do in GURPS . Skill level at zero points invested should be four less than what it is with one point, typical of defaults in GURPS . Right now it's one less. Skill defaults, much as attacks can be based off skills. Half-damage and Max damage range as separate blanks. The current blank gets scrunched easily. Maybe some way to have them optionally be multiples of ST as well. Equipment containers, though it sounds like stuff with equipment is on your radar. This one might be tricky, but some way to do variable dice of damage from the sheet. The example is Fireball ; you have a die of burning damage for each point of FP you spend. So, I find my Fireball entry in the combat entry, and, when my foe fails his Dodge, I click the damage die, and first it prompts me is how many dice of damage is it supposed to do before it rolls that damage.
MadCoder
Pro
Sheet Author
Sriram G. said: The GURPS Character Sheet is amazing and saved me and my players a load of time. However, I'm kind of a noob in Roll20 and GURPS so if anybody would like to give me a few tips on how the character sheet works, macros and stuff like that, that'll be greatly appreciated. Charles said: A few random little requests: Ability to base an attack off an attribute, not just a skill. Damage based off ST-derived thrust/swing damage, much as muscle-powered weapons typically do in GURPS . Skill level at zero points invested should be four less than what it is with one point, typical of defaults in GURPS . Right now it's one less. Skill defaults, much as attacks can be based off skills. Half-damage and Max damage range as separate blanks. The current blank gets scrunched easily. Maybe some way to have them optionally be multiples of ST as well. Equipment containers, though it sounds like stuff with equipment is on your radar. This one might be tricky, but some way to do variable dice of damage from the sheet. The example is Fireball ; you have a die of burning damage for each point of FP you spend. So, I find my Fireball entry in the combat entry, and, when my foe fails his Dodge, I click the damage die, and first it prompts me is how many dice of damage is it supposed to do before it rolls that damage. Thanks Sriram G. and Charles! Charles that's a good list, we'll add them to our list of future updates! Ken
Charles said: Damage based off ST-derived thrust/swing damage, much as muscle-powered weapons typically do in GURPS . For this, do you mean each attack can have an assigned ST score that derives the damage, or if the attack field has a selectable Thrust / Swing damage option such that it auto-fills damage? I'm a little confused about what you're looking for, as you can already do @{thrust} and @{swing} in the damage fields. (I don't work on the sheets I'm just super curious!)

Edited 1589450278
Ian said: :you can already do @{thrust} and @{swing} in the damage fields. Wow, I've been using these character sheets for years and never knew you could do that.   Definitely  add these instructions to the hover-text that pops up when you hover over the "DAMAGE" column header. It would be good to be able to see the actual dice of damage the attack does as well, e.g. just because I put @ {thrust} in the field doesn't mean I don't want to see 1d6-1 on my combat sheet. Thank you for this character sheet!!!

Edited 1587832106
mrianmerry
Sheet Author
Captain Joy said: It would be good to be able to see the actually dice of damage the attack does as well, e.g. just because I put @ {thrust}  in the field doesn't mean I don't want to see 1d6-1 on my combat sheet. What I've taken to doing (as my GM uses the optional rule for converting large modifiers to additional dice)  is calculating the damage and entering that in the damage field (3d6+1)  and then filling the Damage Notes with:  "Raw damage: @{thrust}+1[Base] +4 [Modifiers]"  and then listing the modifiers below it. It works nicely because the damage notes don't auto-roll anything, so it will just output "2d6-1" for the attribute query. I suppose it can get messy when you then have a positive modifier to the basic thrust as your weapon's base damage, but it's close to perfect so I roll with it ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ A few test rolls (rolled with the /talktomyself command put into the chat log beforehand)  to verify, and it works quite nicely!
Hi there, I think I've come across a fairly odd bug, but I could be wrong. I'm just getting use to the sheet, but it appears that the skill defaults are incorrect, I set IQ to 10: And put zero points in Gesture, which is an Easy skill that defaults to IQ at -4, and the sheet calculated Gesture's skill level to 9: Considering that 10 - 4 != 9, I think there's an issue.  I'd rather this either require I manually set the skill modifier than have it incorrectly calculate the modifier, especially since my group has some people who are new to GURPS and won't catch or understand this sort of hiccup.  Is there a patch for this coming out soon or have I just misused the sheet?
MadCoder
Pro
Sheet Author
Humabout said: Hi there, I think I've come across a fairly odd bug, but I could be wrong. I'm just getting use to the sheet, but it appears that the skill defaults are incorrect, I set IQ to 10: And put zero points in Gesture, which is an Easy skill that defaults to IQ at -4, and the sheet calculated Gesture's skill level to 9: Considering that 10 - 4 != 9, I think there's an issue.  I'd rather this either require I manually set the skill modifier than have it incorrectly calculate the modifier, especially since my group has some people who are new to GURPS and won't catch or understand this sort of hiccup.  Is there a patch for this coming out soon or have I just misused the sheet? Hi Humabout,  You are correct, that is an issue because of how the sheet was originally developed. It is using an inline formula that doesn't handle defaults correctly. I think the original idea was the sheet would handle skills/spells that have at least one character point. We'll add this to the list of fixes and updates. Thanks! Ken
Thanks, Ken.  Good to know it wasn't just my ineptitude. I'll warn my players and keep an eye out for the update. Thanks again!
I have a general request, also:  Can you add in Jason Lavine's house rule that makes Per and Will based on 10 instead of IQ? That'd be extremely useful.
MadCoder
Pro
Sheet Author
Ian said: Captain Joy said: It would be good to be able to see the actually dice of damage the attack does as well, e.g. just because I put @ {thrust}  in the field doesn't mean I don't want to see 1d6-1 on my combat sheet. What I've taken to doing (as my GM uses the optional rule for converting large modifiers to additional dice)  is calculating the damage and entering that in the damage field (3d6+1)  and then filling the Damage Notes with:  "Raw damage: @{thrust}+1[Base] +4 [Modifiers]"  and then listing the modifiers below it. It works nicely because the damage notes don't auto-roll anything, so it will just output "2d6-1" for the attribute query. I suppose it can get messy when you then have a positive modifier to the basic thrust as your weapon's base damage, but it's close to perfect so I roll with it ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ A few test rolls (rolled with the /talktomyself command put into the chat log beforehand)  to verify, and it works quite nicely! Thanks Ian, that's a good tip, I didn't occur to me to use that method.
MadCoder
Pro
Sheet Author
Humabout said: I have a general request, also:  Can you add in Jason Lavine's house rule that makes Per and Will based on 10 instead of IQ? That'd be extremely useful. Hi Humabout, I added that request to our list of issues. Since it's a house rule it will probably after the other updates we're working on.
Mike W.
Pro
Sheet Author
Humabout said: I have a general request, also:  Can you add in Jason Lavine's house rule that makes Per and Will based on 10 instead of IQ? That'd be extremely useful. We generally do not do House Rules as there are so many. However we are looking for ways for the sheet not to be hard coded to points and options so people can do just like you want, It will take some thinking and doing but I will admit it is on a low priority right now. Mike W
Mike W.
Pro
Sheet Author
Thanks to everyone for all those suggestions within the last week or so. Many of these ideas have already been on our wish list and we have added anything new we have found posted here. Please be advised we do this on a volunteer basis and there is only the two is doing this so if we do not get to all of them right away, just be advised. We are. however, making progress and always welcome new suggestions, ideas, and comments. Mike W
Mike W.
Pro
Sheet Author
Charles said: A few random little requests: Skill level at zero points invested should be four less than what it is with one point, typical of defaults in GURPS . Right now it's one less. Skill defaults, much as attacks can be based off skills. This cannot be done for many reasons. 1. Skill defaults are not all at four less. 2. Most IQ based skills are at five less. 3.Some skills have no default. 4. Only some skills can default to another skill. 5. Many skill have multiple default values. Thus when you enter a skill, the character sheet cannot know the default of that skill automatically. Now if there was a teve Jackson GURPS Compendium, then it could be done. To make a default entry just use a Negative MOD entry and label the skill as Skill Name (Default) Mike W
Mike W.
Pro
Sheet Author
Latest Updates Version 2.3.3  – PULL 04/29/2020 –  Successful New Feature : New option to select a style for the character sheet. Classic White, Green, Blue, Beige, and Gray. Contributed by Tame Flame (4822134). Default Sheet Settings : New option to select default sheet style. Traits tab. Advantages, Perks, Quirks, Disadvantages, and Race tables. If the Frequency of Appearance or Self-Control Number is from 3 to 18, show the die button. Skills tab. Techniques (Revised) table. You can link a technique to another technique. Requested by Ian. Combat tab. Active Defenses. Added Unarmed Parry. There are a number of rules specific to unarmed parry. Added Rules as Written (RAW) for unarmed parry. Important : Combat tab. Active Defenses. The Rules as Written (RAW) for active defense success/fail notes are now hard-coded. This is necessary because notes saved to a field can't be fixed or added to. The update improves the display of notes in the chat area. New Sheet Options: Active Defenses. Show RAW Notes. If checked, success/fail notes for active defenses will display on roll template. By default it is unchecked , however I recommend everyone checking this option to be on. Not shown in updates : Added new attribute, LC (Legality Class), to Inventory.  It will default to 4. Note: If you do not use this in your campaign, simply  ignore this attribute. Mike W
Hi, would it be possible to have the old behavior of the row highlighting back, where the text fields don't remain white? With this recent change, it stands out far less. Maybe as an option? :) Still using and loving the sheet, and the style options are quite nice.
MadCoder
Pro
Sheet Author
GroundWalker said: Hi, would it be possible to have the old behavior of the row highlighting back, where the text fields don't remain white? With this recent change, it stands out far less. Maybe as an option? :) Still using and loving the sheet, and the style options are quite nice. Thanks GroundWalker I see what you're talking about, I totally missed that. Yes, we'll get the updated.

Edited 1588125262
Mike W.
Pro
Sheet Author
FYI: With all future sheet updates ONE THING TO NOTE: When we add a new Games Setting option, like the new Sheet Style option and the Active Defenses RAW, these only will apply to new character sheets created within the VTT itself by the GM. For all existing sheets, you need to go to each sheet's option tab and make the setting there. This is a Roll20 issue and has an open bug report on this. Mike W
Hello there, I'm a big fan of this sheet, and I very much appreciate the consistent updates to improve upon it, though with this update I've encountered an odd bug. In addition to the 'show notes' that ends up being in the roll name field for most other rolls, for the Active Defenses rolls, it displays '0' when the 'Show RAW notes' box is left unchecked, and '1' when it is. And finally, I noticed that the Active Defense rolls no longer seem to display the notes for Fencing and Unbalanced weapons, even when you input 'F' and 'U' in that box, like it says. I was hoping if anyone else noticed this. It's a minor thing but it continued to bug me to no end. That said, I found the rest of the update to be pretty good, and I'm sure these little issues will be resolved.
Mike W.
Pro
Sheet Author
Karu We shall certainly look into this. We did notice that Roll20 has some bugs when we codded this and that may be what is causing the issue. Mike W
MadCoder
Pro
Sheet Author
Karu said: Hello there, I'm a big fan of this sheet, and I very much appreciate the consistent updates to improve upon it, though with this update I've encountered an odd bug. In addition to the 'show notes' that ends up being in the roll name field for most other rolls, for the Active Defenses rolls, it displays '0' when the 'Show RAW notes' box is left unchecked, and '1' when it is. And finally, I noticed that the Active Defense rolls no longer seem to display the notes for Fencing and Unbalanced weapons, even when you input 'F' and 'U' in that box, like it says. I was hoping if anyone else noticed this. It's a minor thing but it continued to bug me to no end. That said, I found the rest of the update to be pretty good, and I'm sure these little issues will be resolved. Thanks a lot for reporting the bug with Show Notes on the chat box, that was my fault, I forgot to remove my debugging code. I already removed it and it will be gone next Tuesday's update (5/5/2020).
Mike W. said: Charles said: A few random little requests: Skill level at zero points invested should be four less than what it is with one point, typical of defaults in GURPS . Right now it's one less. Skill defaults, much as attacks can be based off skills. This cannot be done for many reasons. 1. Skill defaults are not all at four less. 2. Most IQ based skills are at five less. 3.Some skills have no default. 4. Only some skills can default to another skill. 5. Many skill have multiple default values. On 1 and 2, you're misreading me. I wrote "four less than what it is with one point , typical of defaults in GURPS ." (italics for emphasis) This is a true statement; attribute defaults, when available, are almost always four less than what you would get with one point in the skill, which is true regardless of the controlling attribute. An IQ/Easy skill like Camouflage typically defaults to IQ-4, which is four less than what you'd get with one point in the skill (straight IQ). An IQ/Hard skill like Forgery typically defaults to IQ-6, which is four less than what you'd get with one point in the skill (IQ-2).  What my suggestion/request is this, spelled out a little bit more: When you have no points in the skill, the sheet right now puts the skill level as one less than what you'd get with one point, much as Humabout said. What he and I are saying that it should be three less than what it is now. Yes, some skills have no attribute default or a non-standard one, but 75% of skills do, so by doing this, you'll be closer than what the sheet says now. For skills that do not have this, you can then manually set in the description of the skill once you expand it. As I said, this is " much as attacks can be based off skills." You don't need a compendium from SJG, and I specified how attacks can be based off skills because I don't expect anyone here to ever get a license for one. As an example of what I'm saying, Search defaults to Criminology-5 (as well as Per-5). If I'm basing my Search off Criminology, I'm saying that there could be a line after the expand arrow with a spot for a dropdown for whether I'm basing this off an attribute, skill, spell, or technique, a row ID blank, and a modifier blank. From there, I can select Skill, put the row ID for Criminology, and put the modifier -5.

Edited 1588307267
GiGs
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Charles said: What my suggestion/request is this, spelled out a little bit more: When you have no points in the skill, the sheet right now puts the skill level as one less than what you'd get with one point, much as Humabout said. What he and I are saying that it should be three less than what it is now. Yes, some skills have no attribute default or a non-standard one, but 75% of skills do, so by doing this, you'll be closer than what the sheet says now. For skills that do not have this, you can then manually set in the description of the skill once you expand it. As I said, this is " much as attacks can be based off skills." You don't need a compendium from SJG, and I specified how attacks can be based off skills because I don't expect anyone here to ever get a license for one. As an example of what I'm saying, Search defaults to Criminology-5 (as well as Per-5). If I'm basing my Search off Criminology, I'm saying that there could be a line after the expand arrow with a spot for a dropdown for whether I'm basing this off an attribute, skill, spell, or technique, a row ID blank, and a modifier blank. From there, I can select Skill, put the row ID for Criminology, and put the modifier -5. The problem with the first point is that it looks like the sheet is calculating skill scores through an autocalc field. They follow the same rules as dice macros, where no conditionals are allowed. You cant do: "if the skill has no points, subtract 4". That kind of conditional would require a sheet worker. And the way the sheet is built, converting to a sheet worker for this could be a big job. It might require changing quite a lot of attributes on the sheet, to work properly. Mind you, this should probably be done - because at present the sheet doesnt handle skills where you've put 0.5 points in them, which you can do (I dont know about the latest edition, but earlier editions all had this). Still, it might be a biggish job so it's understandable if they leave it. The second point isn't as easy as it appears either - and probably isnt feasible at all because of the way repeating sections work. There are two row types of row ID you can use. Ones that look like $0, $1, etc. These break when someone reorders skills in their skill list, so they aren't reliable. The second is a hidden form, only discoverable by either studying the sheet's html or having a sheet worker. They look something like -45GTH57HF5463. Asking players to enter an id like that (they would have to manually type it in, there's no way to automate this), is a bit much. And that's assuming they can discover it in the first place.
MadCoder
Pro
Sheet Author
Karu said:  And finally, I noticed that the Active Defense rolls no longer seem to display the notes for Fencing and Unbalanced weapons, even when you input 'F' and 'U' in that box, like it says. I was hoping if anyone else noticed this. It's a minor thing but it continued to bug me to no end. That said, I found the rest of the update to be pretty good, and I'm sure these little issues will be resolved. Hi Karu,  Can you check if Show notes below in roll template was checked? 

Edited 1588341545
GiGs said: The problem with the first point is that it looks like the sheet is calculating skill scores through an autocalc field. They follow the same rules as dice macros, where no conditionals are allowed. You cant do: "if the skill has no points, subtract 4". That kind of conditional would require a sheet worker. And the way the sheet is built, converting to a sheet worker for this could be a big job. It might require changing quite a lot of attributes on the sheet, to work properly. Mind you, this should probably be done - because at present the sheet doesnt handle skills where you've put 0.5 points in them, which you can do (I dont know about the latest edition, but earlier editions all had this). Still, it might be a biggish job so it's understandable if they leave it. The second point isn't as easy as it appears either - and probably isnt feasible at all because of the way repeating sections work. There are two row types of row ID you can use. Ones that look like $0, $1, etc. These break when someone reorders skills in their skill list, so they aren't reliable. The second is a hidden form, only discoverable by either studying the sheet's html or having a sheet worker. They look something like -45GTH57HF5463. Asking players to enter an id like that (they would have to manually type it in, there's no way to automate this), is a bit much. And that's assuming they can discover it in the first place. I think I get it on the first point, but … right now, if a skill has no points in it, it already subtracts one point from what it would be if it you had one point in the skill. So you're saying it needs a conditional to instead make the sheet subtract four points instead? (As an FYI,  GURPS 4e does not have half points. The sheet correctly ignores them.) For the second point, I am talking about the hidden form format, which already exists in the sheet. You can link an attack to a skill or spell level through those. For those of us who care (which might be in the single digits, I admit), you can copy/paste the number.
Charles said: If I'm basing my Search off Criminology, I'm saying that there could be a line after the expand arrow with a spot for a dropdown for whether I'm basing this off an attribute, skill, spell, or technique, a row ID blank, and a modifier blank. From there, I can select Skill, put the row ID for Criminology, and put the modifier -5. So the biggest problem I could see with doing this would be how the cost differs when buying skills straight from attributes and when defaulting from other skills; when you default from other skills, you don't go "1 point for a +1", which is how the sheet would represent this without extensive calculation in the background . The cost of buying up from other skills depends on the value of the other skill, and the value of where you'd be buying up to, and as such would in all likelihood require that you use a modifier to indicate this to keep your points total calculated accurately. Also, keep in mind that once you've invested points into a skill defaulted from another skill, further investment into the parent skill does not improve your ability with the child skill. Overall, I think skill defaults are best modelled using the modifier field to apply flat negative/positive changes to bring the skill level in line with the rule's calculations, based on the points that you've invested, as it allows you to fine-tune your skill level without affecting your points total.

Edited 1588360292
GiGs
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Charles said: I think I get it on the first point, but … right now, if a skill has no points in it, it already subtracts one point from what it would be if it you had one point in the skill. So you're saying it needs a conditional to instead make the sheet subtract four points instead? I;m guessing thats because the difference between 1 and 0 is 1. Yes, all of the GURPS skills follow a set progression in costs that isnt too hard to translate into a bonus based on the points put in. But the jump from -4 at 0, and 0 at 1 is much trickier to do with standard macro rolls. I think this is the calculation that is currently being used to calculate the score (I'm not sure how it handles the difference between physical and mental skills, its certainly a complex calculation): @{base} + @{difficulty} + @{bonus} + (floor(((@{wildcard_skill_points}*@{use_wildcard_points} + @{points}*@{use_normal_points}) * 0.25) + 2) * ceil( ( ( (@{wildcard_skill_points}*@{use_wildcard_points} + @{points}*@{use_normal_points}) - 2 ) + abs( (@{wildcard_skill_points}*@{use_wildcard_points} + @{points}*@{use_normal_points}) - 2) ) / 256 ) + (@{wildcard_skill_points}*@{use_wildcard_points} + @{points}*@{use_normal_points}) * abs( ceil( ( ( (@{wildcard_skill_points}*@{use_wildcard_points} + @{points}*@{use_normal_points}) - 2 ) + abs( (@{wildcard_skill_points}*@{use_wildcard_points} + @{points}*@{use_normal_points}) - 2) ) / 256 ) - 1 )) If you can figure out how to modify that to handle -4 at zero, I'm sure they'd appreciate it, but I couldn't do it. Having printed it out, I see there fewer other attributes there than I'd realised when I first look at it, so it wouldnt be too big a job to convert to a sheet worker. And it would be a much easier and more accurate calculation if done that way.  Edit:  I should add - although the sheet worker would be easier to calculate, it might still need changes to attributes in the sheet. And whenever you make a change that affects, say, every users entire skill list, you have to be careful. A mistake could wipe data for all users of the sheet, and that would be far more serious than it not handling 0 point skills properly. So if they choose not to do it, don't berate them for it - it's you they are looking out for.
GiGs
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Ian said: Also, keep in mind that once you've invested points into a skill defaulted from another skill, further investment into the parent skill does not improve your ability with the child skill. Just a GURPS rules question: is that true? I never realised that and didnt play it that way back when I ran it years ago.
For some reason, I can't configure my skills on Active Defences. I have tried a lot of different methods but it seems that the sheet wont recognize the  "ID Row". Is that a API user feat or I'm probably getting something wrong?

Edited 1588369922
GiGs said: Ian said: Also, keep in mind that once you've invested points into a skill defaulted from another skill, further investment into the parent skill does not improve your ability with the child skill. Just a GURPS rules question: is that true? I never realised that and didnt play it that way back when I ran it years ago. With GURPS 4th, according to the Basic Set Characters book, last paragraph on p.170, defaulted skills get a free increase when the parent skill is improved. And I am pretty sure it was that way in 3rd edition too. Edit: Though it can get complicated once you have spent points on skills based on defaults. See the example on p.173. You still see improvement and it still costs you fewer points, but the accounting is tricky.
GiGs
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Rabulias said: GiGs said: Ian said: Also, keep in mind that once you've invested points into a skill defaulted from another skill, further investment into the parent skill does not improve your ability with the child skill. Just a GURPS rules question: is that true? I never realised that and didnt play it that way back when I ran it years ago. With GURPS 4th, according to the Basic Set Characters book, last paragraph on p.170, defaulted skills get a free increase when the parent skill is improved. And I am pretty sure it was that way in 3rd edition too. Edit: Though it can get complicated once you have spent points on skills based on defaults. See the example on p.173. You still see improvement and it still costs you fewer points, but the accounting is tricky. I played through 1st through 3rd edition, and I'm pretty sure defaults continue to be based on the parent skill when you improve either in those editions. Which is why I was surprised to see the opposite being suggested. And yes, cost could be complicated. I had a spreadsheet to handle that :)
Suggestion: A few fields, like the Inventory, at the bottom of the Combat tab with columns for Injury, damage, damage healed so far, hit location and time to heal (That last one for if you're using Conditional Injury). Some things in the book say to track the individual injury, but that'd be a pain, so my group's never really done it. This would make it a lot easier.
Rabulias said: GiGs said: Ian said: Also, keep in mind that once you've invested points into a skill defaulted from another skill, further investment into the parent skill does not improve your ability with the child skill. Just a GURPS rules question: is that true? I never realised that and didnt play it that way back when I ran it years ago. With GURPS 4th, according to the Basic Set Characters book, last paragraph on p.170, defaulted skills get a free increase when the parent skill is improved. And I am pretty sure it was that way in 3rd edition too. Edit: Though it can get complicated once you have spent points on skills based on defaults. See the example on p.173. You still see improvement and it still costs you fewer points, but the accounting is tricky. Yeah if you've not invested into, to use the example, Broadsword after defaulting it from Shortsword, whenever Shortsword gets a bump then Broadsword gets a bump. I was talking about the situation, also mentioned under the rules for Improving Skills from Default (B173) , that you don't get an automatic increase if you've spent points on the child skill. Broadsword doesn't go up after you've spent 2 points to bump it to Shortsword-1 if Shortsword gets bumped up. You might see Broadsword also go up by 1, but it seems mathematically very unlikely for this to happen. This is why I said it would be better to just use a modifier.  The full example from the Basic rulebook: Suppose you have DX 12 and Shortsword at 13. Since Broadsword defaults to Shortsword-2, your default Broadsword skill is 11. Skill 11 is equal to DX-1 for you. This would have cost 1 point had you bought it directly. The next level (DX) costs 2 points. The difference is 1 point; to raise your Broadsword skill from its default level of 11 (DX-1) to 12 (DX), you need only pay 1 character point. You do not have to pay the full 2 points for DX level! Suppose you spend the point to raise Broadsword to 12 (DX). Now you spend 4 more points on Shortsword, improving that skill from 13 to 14 (from DX+1 to DX+2). Does your Broadsword skill also go up a level? No. Your new default from Shortsword is now 12 (Shortsword at 14, minus 2), but to go from level 12 to level 13 (from DX to DX+1) with Broadsword costs 2 points, and you’ve only spent 1 point on Broadsword. Keep track of that point, though. When you spend one more point on Broadsword, it goes up a level, too.
MadCoder said: Karu said:  And finally, I noticed that the Active Defense rolls no longer seem to display the notes for Fencing and Unbalanced weapons, even when you input 'F' and 'U' in that box, like it says. I was hoping if anyone else noticed this. It's a minor thing but it continued to bug me to no end. That said, I found the rest of the update to be pretty good, and I'm sure these little issues will be resolved. Hi Karu,  Can you check if Show notes below in roll template was checked?  Ah yes, I just noticed that recently. Checked it and the notes showed up like normal, when applied. 
Mike W.
Pro
Sheet Author
Jared said: Suggestion: A few fields, like the Inventory, at the bottom of the Combat tab with columns for Injury, damage, damage healed so far, hit location and time to heal (That last one for if you're using Conditional Injury). Some things in the book say to track the individual injury, but that'd be a pain, so my group's never really done it. This would make it a lot easier. Thanks Jared. Something similar to that is in our plans bit keepit comming. Mike W
Mike W.
Pro
Sheet Author
Wow so much chatter about default skills and their values - most excitement that we have ad in this thread for some time. OK on to business: As far as having skills with automatic Default values when set to zero points, it just cannot be done. There are some 472 skills based on 19 or so different Attributes and modifiers, and  47 which do have a default at all, and a good number that only default  to other skills (and multiple ones at that). Some of attribute ones default to a choice of attributes, in fact look at Stealth as it defaults to IQ-5 or DX-5 and is a DX based skill. If your IQ happens to be higher than your DX, then defaulting to IQ is better - until such time as you spend a point on Stealth. Without a compendium, there is now way the sheet can determine the proper Default value. The best way, as mentioned before. is to enter the skill in and use the MOD to adjust them with  negative modifier. Most people are using either GCA or GCS to create their PCs and entering the data in manually. so that is an easy calculation to make. In the following example I have a PC with DX 13 and IQ14.. I am using the Default of Stealth which is either defaults to IQ-5 or DX-5. Well IQ (14)-5=9 and DX  (13) - 5 = 8. Therefore I choose to default from IQ. I enter this as shown below. I set everything normally, except I put in a -2 modifier to make thee skill level 9.(whch is my IQ (14) - 5, The main issue is if you change your IQ or DX. If you change the DX then the attribute value will change thus you will need to adjust the MOD to get it back to the default value. If your IQ changes, then you need to again adjust the MOD to set the new value. A bit wonky I admit but for no =w that is the best we can do. A possible solution it is to have a Default Attribute setting and 'Linking' it to either an attribute or another skill in the skill list, then a Modifier. We would have to put is some logic to determine if a point is spent in the skill, then delete the value and linking that were set for the default and hide the Default attribute from being used. So much to do, so little time. So we have added this to our research list.
MadCoder
Pro
Sheet Author
Lucas S.C.S. said: For some reason, I can't configure my skills on Active Defenses. I have tried a lot of different methods but it seems that the sheet wont recognize the  "ID Row". Is that a API user feat or I'm probably getting something wrong? I'm sorry Lucas S.C.S! That part is still under construction since it's fairly complicated to handle all the different rules and was hidden. For this Tuesday's update it will be hidden again. I do have it slated for the next set of updates, so about two weeks out.
MadCoder
Pro
Sheet Author
Mike W. said: Wow so much chatter about default skills and their values - most excitement that we have ad in this thread for some time. OK on to business: As far as having skills with automatic Default values when set to zero points, it just cannot be done. There are some 472 skills based on 19 or so different Attributes and modifiers, and  47 which do have a default at all, and a good number that only default  to other skills (and multiple ones at that). Some of attribute ones default to a choice of attributes, in fact look at Stealth as it defaults to IQ-5 or DX-5 and is a DX based skill. If your IQ happens to be higher than your DX, then defaulting to IQ is better - until such time as you spend a point on Stealth. Without a compendium, there is now way the sheet can determine the proper Default value. The best way, as mentioned before. is to enter the skill in and use the MOD to adjust them with  negative modifier. Most people are using either GCA or GCS to create their PCs and entering the data in manually. so that is an easy calculation to make. In the following example I have a PC with DX 13 and IQ14.. I am using the Default of Stealth which is either defaults to IQ-5 or DX-5. Well IQ (14)-5=9 and DX  (13) - 5 = 8. Therefore I choose to default from IQ. I enter this as shown below. I set everything normally, except I put in a -2 modifier to make thee skill level 9.(whch is my IQ (14) - 5, The main issue is if you change your IQ or DX. If you change the DX then the attribute value will change thus you will need to adjust the MOD to get it back to the default value. If your IQ changes, then you need to again adjust the MOD to set the new value. A bit wonky I admit but for no =w that is the best we can do. A possible solution it is to have a Default Attribute setting and 'Linking' it to either an attribute or another skill in the skill list, then a Modifier. We would have to put is some logic to determine if a point is spent in the skill, then delete the value and linking that were set for the default and hide the Default attribute from being used. So much to do, so little time. So we have added this to our research list. I also want to thank everyone for their input! Lot's of good stuff.

Edited 1588539963
mrianmerry
Sheet Author
MadCoder said: Lucas S.C.S. said: For some reason, I can't configure my skills on Active Defenses. I have tried a lot of different methods but it seems that the sheet wont recognize the  "ID Row". Is that a API user feat or I'm probably getting something wrong? I'm sorry Lucas S.C.S! That part is still under construction since it's fairly complicated to handle all the different rules and was hidden. For this Tuesday's update it will be hidden again. I do have it slated for the next set of updates, so about two weeks out. Ahaa! I saw it and got excited, and then thought that it was probably unhidden by accident when it didn't work. Good to hear that it's coming soon! Wanted to ask, btw: how difficult do you think it would be to make an attribute that is accessible for the current encumbrance level or to make an option in skills for applying encumbrance penalties? It's too easy to forget you're lugging your life around in a backpack when doing narrative stuff and then jumping into combat, so I feel like I'm not applying penalties when I should be...
MadCoder
Pro
Sheet Author
Ian said: Wanted to ask, btw: how difficult do you think it would be to make an attribute that is accessible for the current encumbrance level or to make an option in skills for applying encumbrance penalties ? It's too easy to forget you're lugging your life around in a backpack when doing narrative stuff and then jumping into combat, so I feel like I'm not applying penalties when I should be... Yes, it's easy to miss applying penalties based on encumbrance. I know a few things like acrobatics is affected by encumbrance. I'll add this to our of list updates/enhancements to look into. Ken
May I ask when we are going to get a SM changes, as a GM i feel this would be useful for building larger characters especially since it would help with sorting out ST, HP and move changes
Mike W.
Pro
Sheet Author
Toma said: May I ask when we are going to get a SM changes, as a GM i feel this would be useful for building larger characters especially since it would help with sorting out ST, HP and move changes Toma It is on our list, the list is long, but it is there. I myself, hope to see it implemented soon as well.
Mike W.
Pro
Sheet Author
Latest Updates Version 2.3.4  – PULL 05/05/2020 –  Successful IMPORTANT: Due to a bug with Default Sheet Settings, a Roll20 feature, the Show Notes fo Active Defenses became unchecked. This fix crates a new field and marks it as checked. And on the Sheet Options page itself. Highlight Row Option. Update style so input boxes use the same background color. Reported by GroundWalker Fixed and revised alignment of custom success/fail notes. Updated by TamedFlame. Several new style themes added by TamedFlame Critical failure by 10 or more points no longer applies to ranged attacks. (See Basic 382: A melee attack ( but not a ranged attack ) or defense roll that fails by 10 or more is also a critical miss) Roll template, removed debugging code for sub-heading. Spotted by Karu. .  Added character name just above the navigation tab. This will allow you to see the name when the sheet has been popped out into its own window. (See Azik below). Combat Tab. Added Close Range Shotgun Damage Tool Fixed bug with repeating rows where the move row handle was missing and didn't work. Fixed by TamedFlame. A number of Minor tweaks, see update for more information. Mike W
The draggable corner for changing the size of the text box for the descriptions on disadvantages doesn't work properly, it overlaps with the other disadvantages and then can no longer be selected.  I can't select the corner to rescale this text box back to where it was any more. Reloading the page works, but is inconvenient.
MadCoder
Pro
Sheet Author
eVie said: The draggable corner for changing the size of the text box for the descriptions on disadvantages doesn't work properly, it overlaps with the other disadvantages and then can no longer be selected.  I can't select the corner to rescale this text box back to where it was any more. Reloading the page works, but is inconvenient. Thanks eVie, we'll try to fix it, the legacy html/css doesn't handle adjustable heights very well, but hopefully we can do something.
Mike W. said: Toma said: May I ask when we are going to get a SM changes, as a GM i feel this would be useful for building larger characters especially since it would help with sorting out ST, HP and move changes Toma It is on our list, the list is long, but it is there. I myself, hope to see it implemented soon as well. ok thanks for letting us know we shall sit patiently for when you can get round to it thanks for letting us know
Is there a way to reference a combat skill level in the combat tab?