Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Flame Blade Spell Macro

Hey everyone,  I'm having trouble getting a damage output for the Flame Blade spell. When clicked either from the character sheet or when using a macro that references it, the only thing I can output for Flame Blade is the description, and then the roll must occur manually. I'm trying to rebrand the Thunderwave spell to be Flame Blade, but I figured people with more experience could do it in a more elegant way.  Any help is appreciated, thank you so much.
Looking back, I didn't outline what I'd like the macro to do, which would probably help explain my situation. I would like the macro to do the following: Give the spell description Ask which level you're casting it at Roll for attack using the appropriate modifier for whoever is using the spell Roll the appropriate damage with the correct type (fire).
Sorry for replying to my own post so much, if that's a problem. This is as far as I've gotten with making Flame Blade  be an attack and damage roll: @{selected|token_name}&{template:atkdmg} {{mod=+6}} {{rname=Flame Blade}} {{r1=[[@{selected|d20}cs>20 + 4[WIS] + 2[PROF]]]}} @{selected|rtype}cs>20 + 4[WIS] + 2[PROF]]]}} {{attack=1}} {{range=5 feet}} {{damage=1}} {{dmg1flag=1}} {{dmg1=[[3d6]]}} {{dmg1type=Fire}} 0 {{dmg2=[[0]]}} {{dmg2type=}} {{crit1=[[3d6[CRIT]]]}} {{crit2=[[0[CRIT]]]}} 0 {{desc=}} {{hldmg=[[(1*?{Cast at what level?|Level 2,0|Level 3,0|Level 4,1|Level 5,1|Level 6,2|Level 7,2|Level 8,3|Level 9,3})d6]]}} {{hldmgcrit=[[(1*?{Cast at what level?|Level 2,6|Level 3,6|Level 4,8|Level 5,8|Level 6,10|Level 7,10|Level 8,12|Level 9,12})d6]]}} {{spelllevel=2}} {{innate=}} {{globalattack=@{selected|global_attack_mod}}} {{globaldamage=[[0]]}} {{globaldamagecrit=[[0]]}} {{globaldamagetype=@{selected|global_damage_mod_type}}} ammo= @{selected|charname_output} If there's a more elegant way to do this, I'd be happy to learn. 
You're making it way more complicated than it needs to be. No need to reinvent the wheel, i.e. why make a whole macro when you can just make an entry under Attacks and Spellcasting? Set it to attack using the Spell attack bonus, make sure it doesn't add any modifiers to the damage roll, set the damage type to Fire, and then the only thing you need to do is set the damage calculation. You don't even need a higher level casting field, as you can incorporate all of it into the base damage field with the following formula: [[floor(?{What Spell Level?|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9}/2)+2]]d6 that makes the base, 2nd level damage 3d6, and increases it by 1d6 at every even level, as the spell describes for higher level casting.
... well that was much easier. Thank you so much!