Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Firefox 76 now using CTRL + L to Focus Address Bar

Good afternoon, I attempted to go into Firefox to turn off their keybind of CTRL + L for Focusing the Address Bar, which is new only since yesterday's update of Firefox, because I cannot use it, now, for seeing what my Character's see in Roll 20 games.&nbsp; Can you please work with them to have it turned off.&nbsp; You can find the keybind at <a href="https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/keyboard-shortcuts-perform-firefox-tasks-quickly" rel="nofollow">https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/keyboard-shortcuts-perform-firefox-tasks-quickly</a> , under the Miscellaneous header about 4/5ths of the way down that page, and they have two other keybinds that will work, they don't need the third one.&nbsp; I have attempted to let them know what's going on, but have yet to receive any response. Thank you for your time.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
There were apparently some changes recently. Ctrl-L should still work if you are on a page that has Dynamic Light activated.
Right, okay.&nbsp; What sort of work around can be done for folks who don't like to use Dynamic Lighting.&nbsp; I've been using it for years, but with recent changes to the new Dynamic Lighting, it's all starting to piss me off and I've had to turn it off for both games I've been running.&nbsp; Fortunately, one has ended.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
I haven't run into any issues or new behavior with legacy dynamic lighting (I don't use Advanced Fog of War and wouldn't activate UDL in anything but a purely test game). What is it that you use(d) Ctrl-L for?
Seeing what my Character's see on the maps with Dynamic Lighting turned on.&nbsp; I've watched the video's, read the Wiki, etc., and did as instructed and, finally, got it right.&nbsp; I do not have UDL turned on... I made sure it was turned off, though it didn't like to remain off, so I checked it a few times each, but even if I drop light "pellets" all over my maps, my Players suddenly could not see where they were able to, before... anything.&nbsp; I hadn't changed settings, except ensuring UDL was off, but the maps were completely black to them.&nbsp; I've had to turn off legacy DL in both my games just so we could be able to see to play.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
If you would like to post reproduction steps, or page and token light and sight settings, I'm willing to help you troubleshoot.
Reproduction Steps... 1) Load up my game, 2) Select a character token, 3) Hold down CTRL and press L 4) Instead of showing what the Player will see when they load their page, the history bar on my Firefox Browser window pops open, instead.
Pauly da Leg-breaka said: Right, okay.&nbsp; What sort of work around can be done for folks who don't like to use Dynamic Lighting.&nbsp;&nbsp; keithcurtis said: &nbsp;What is it that you use(d) Ctrl-L for? Pauly da Leg-breaka said: Seeing what my Character's see on the maps with Dynamic Lighting turned on.&nbsp; Does Ctrl-L do something for pages without Dynamic lighting turned on?&nbsp; Any time I have used it on a page without DL it didn't do anything before? (Trying to get clarity not anything else if it seem so.)
Right.&nbsp; That's because this is a recent change due to the updated Firefox 76, which came out day-before-yesterday.
Pauly da Leg-breaka said: Good afternoon, I attempted to go into Firefox to turn off their keybind of CTRL + L for Focusing the Address Bar, which is new only since yesterday's update of Firefox, because I cannot use it, now, for seeing what my Character's see in Roll 20 games. You can disable that particular shortcut (or any other) with a firefox addon. Not sure how it will play with roll20 however. - install <a href="https://addons.mozilla.org/en-GB/firefox/addon/shortkeys/" rel="nofollow">https://addons.mozilla.org/en-GB/firefox/addon/shortkeys/</a> - go to addons / extensions and click on shortkeys - select options - click add , write ctrl+l in the shortcut field, select Do Nothing in the Behaviour menu, add a comment and hit save Does it work for you? (you might have to reload the tab) I'm new to roll20 so I never used that function before.
I believe it is a recent change on Roll20's end with Dynamic Lighting, and it made an inadvertent change to behavior on pages without Dynamic Lighting.
Frankye said: You can disable that particular shortcut (or any other) with a firefox addon. Not sure how it will play with roll20 however. - install <a href="https://addons.mozilla.org/en-GB/firefox/addon/shortkeys/" rel="nofollow">https://addons.mozilla.org/en-GB/firefox/addon/shortkeys/</a> - go to addons / extensions and click on shortkeys - select options - click add , write ctrl+l in the shortcut field, select Do Nothing in the Behaviour menu, add a comment and hit save Does it work for you? (you might have to reload the tab) I'm new to roll20 so I never used that function before. I'm sorry, but no, addons are more trouble than they're worth, to me.&nbsp; The next iteration of Firefox always disables previous addons, making them incompatible until a new version of the addon is made, and Firefox iterates far too fast for me to have any interest in that.&nbsp; Thank you, though. Rabulias said: I believe it is a recent change on Roll20's end with Dynamic Lighting, and it made an inadvertent change to behavior on pages without Dynamic Lighting. No.&nbsp; The use of CTRL+L has been there for about four years, now, to the best of my knowledge, on Roll 20.&nbsp; The change was made to Firefox on Mozilla's side.&nbsp; CTRL+L worked for me up until Firefox 76 came out a couple days ago. There are multiple video's on YouTube, older and more recent, that speak of CTRL+L being used to see what the Character's see when planning a map on Roll 20.

Edited 1589044615
Pauly da Leg-breaka said: No.&nbsp; The use of CTRL+L has been there for about four years, now, to the best of my knowledge, on Roll 20.&nbsp; The change was made to Firefox on Mozilla's side.&nbsp; CTRL+L worked for me up until Firefox 76 came out a couple days ago. There are multiple video's on YouTube, older and more recent, that speak of CTRL+L being used to see what the Character's see when planning a map on Roll 20. Sigh. Please see this page from 2008 : <a href="https://www-archive.mozilla.org/docs/end-user/moz_shortcuts.html" rel="nofollow">https://www-archive.mozilla.org/docs/end-user/moz_shortcuts.html</a> and scroll down to Page Navigation Shortcuts and see the entry for Select All Text in Location Bar. Ctrl-L has been a command in Firefox for ages. Edit: Easier proof is that people using Chrome are experiencing this problem, too.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
It is a recent change in Roll20's code. The use of Cmd/Ctrl-L on pages without dynamic lighting was an emergent behavior, undocumented. This was recently changed; I do not have any insight if it is due to be restored; I would hope so. Activating Dynamic Lighting on a page should restore the ability to use the key command on that page. If it does not, then there is likely some larger issue.
I am still confused about the problem. If in Roll20 you don't use Dynamic Lighting, why would you use Ctrl-L as it shows the player's view based on Dynamic lighting?&nbsp; If you don't have Dynamic Lighting on it defaults to the browser setting of jumping to the URL bar. DL is needed to be on for Ctrl-L to be used without jumping to the URL bar. That would be the workaround if you don't want it to jump. Even if you don't have any lines for dynamic lighting set and the players can see the whole map.

Edited 1589055020
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Before the recent code change, it would show the player view for regular Fog of War, as well, irrespective of the state of DL. This was unknown to a lot of people (including some devs, apparently, not to mention me). Like I said it was an undocumented, emergent behavior that some folks were using.
Keith, thank you for your insight.&nbsp; I'm hoping the behavior can be corrected.&nbsp; Good day, all.
Thank you, Keith, I was missing the part about the Fog of War. That makes more sense now.