Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

NPC stats seem to be inconsistently accessible

Hey all, I apologize if this is somewhere, but I can't seem to find it. I'm getting ready to DM Lost Mine of Phandelver, and I was putting some macros into NPC sheets and have found that the ones I've cobbled together sometimes work and sometimes don't. The difference appears to be whether I've created the NPC from scratch or if I've used the provided one in the module. Is there a distinction between an NPC and some general monster that I just am not aware of? If I do something like '@{selected|npcd_hp}' with one of the supplied baddies it produces the value. If I do the exact same thing with one I've created selected the result is "No attribute was found for @{selected|npcd_hp}". I feel like I'm missing a crucial bit of info, but I'm not finding it on the NPC Attributes page. Any helpful pointers or assistance appreciated. Thanks, M
OK, I continued to look and found this is a relatively common thing (amazing what you discover when you use the right search terms) for older versus newer character sheets. I'm guessing the LoP stuff is all older and the attribute names have since changed, so I'll have to use only the old attribute IDs to get stuff to work consistently, and see if I can NOT use the newer stuff I created. Move along, nothing to see here now... M
GiGs
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
That's inconvenient! I'm glad you got it sorted, but roll20 shouldnt let this happen - those characters should be updated to the current form of the sheet.
To add a bit more detail here, I discovered this was also entwined with another LoP bug I hadn't realized at the time. Some of the NPCs have missing attributes for some reason. Details on this Reddit post . I was able to finally get it all working after finding that. Thank you all for your patience with my questions, M