Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

[GURPS] - Sheet #1 - Thread 1

Steve said: Is there a way to reference a combat skill level in the combat tab? Yes, there is.  (I presume you mean something like the Shortsword skill and using it for the skill level of an attack using the Shortsword.)  If you hit the expand arrow to the left of your skill's name, it will show a field called "Row ID", like so: You can copy-paste this ID (note: include the hyphen '-' character in your selection)  and paste it into a similar box under your attacks in the combat tab, as shown here: Currently, the sheet supports linking attacks to Skills , Spells , and Techniques , and defaults the selection to Skill .
First off...love the sheet.  When I play, I prefer to use the character sheet popped out so I can pull the sheet into a separate monitor. So my question has to do with the Roll Modifier Option and using a popped out and character sheet. When I use the "Single Modifier Prompt" on the popped out sheet, the pop up window opens in the base game window instead of the character sheet window. This may seem trivial but is there a way to make it open in the character sheet window and make the field active so once the pop up opens you just type instead of having to select the field to type.  Sorry if it seems trivial, just curious if there was a way to change where that pop up opens in.  
GiGs
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
The behaviour of pop windows isn't something that sheet designers have any control over. That can only be changed by roll20 developers. 
A number of Roll20 functions stop working in popped out windows.
GiGs said: The behaviour of pop windows isn't something that sheet designers have any control over. That can only be changed by roll20 developers.  Thanks. Wasn't sure how it worked just that it was inconvenient. 
MadCoder
Pro
Sheet Author
Hi Loomisc,  There are some css issues with the popup that we're working on. One issue is the drag/drop handle not working on the repeating tables and the open/close buttons for the first three active defenses are misaligned, those are fixable. I didn't notice anything not working but if you have another bugs you noticed, please describe it and maybe provide a screenshot. 
Flame
Sheet Author
Hey all, I'm working on a new feature for the character sheets, spun off from the sheet styles: Now a character's rolls are styled after their sheet as well. That way, you can select a style that fits your character's visual identity, and it will be reflected on your rolls. (Keep in mind that a roll can't change style once it's made). As with the sheet itself, Classic White keeps the old look. With that said, it would be good if any players with a knack for web design pitched in with ideas for styles. I don't think adding a style for every character is a good idea, but there's likely a decent amount of niches and visual identities that could probably be added.
Ian said: Steve said: Is there a way to reference a combat skill level in the combat tab? Yes, there is.  (I presume you mean something like the Shortsword skill and using it for the skill level of an attack using the Shortsword.)  If you hit the expand arrow to the left of your skill's name, it will show a field called "Row ID", like so: You can copy-paste this ID (note: include the hyphen '-' character in your selection)  and paste it into a similar box under your attacks in the combat tab, as shown here: Currently, the sheet supports linking attacks to Skills , Spells , and Techniques , and defaults the selection to Skill . Thanks!
Tame Flame said: Hey all, I'm working on a new feature for the character sheets, spun off from the sheet styles: Now a character's rolls are styled after their sheet as well. That way, you can select a style that fits your character's visual identity, and it will be reflected on your rolls. (Keep in mind that a roll can't change style once it's made). As with the sheet itself, Classic White keeps the old look. With that said, it would be good if any players with a knack for web design pitched in with ideas for styles. I don't think adding a style for every character is a good idea, but there's likely a decent amount of niches and visual identities that could probably be added. Oh man, those look great! I think if you could somehow finagle the 6 primary & secondary colours that'll have most players content, I imagine. Might be difficult to get a nice red that doesn't come off as kinda-pink because of the failure box, but you smashed it with the green style so I have faith ;) 
Hi guys I like the sheet setup, Iam fairly new at gurps and am trying to setup the roll damage button, but it only comes up as the dice damage eg: Iam rolling for thrust of a knife that is 1d but comes up as 1 damage and doesn't roll? I know I'm missing something but haven't been able to find the solution. Thanks again.
You have to say 1d6.
Ninja'd by Captain Joy! Yeah, you can't enter the damage as, say, "1d+2," it has to be "1d 6 +2." I knew something!
Ian said: Tame Flame said: … it would be good if any players with a knack for web design pitched in with ideas for styles. I don't think adding a style for every character is a good idea, but there's likely a decent amount of niches and visual identities that could probably be added. I think if you could somehow finagle the 6 primary & secondary colours that'll have most players content, I imagine. Might be difficult to get a nice red that doesn't come off as kinda-pink because of the failure box, but you smashed it with the green style so I have faith ;)  I would like to see the gold/yellow, blue, and red themes go with a Star Trek TOS aesthetic.
Thanks guys
Hey y'all! A few quick questions as I continue poking around. 1) Are there any community created rollable tables? GURPS is so reliant on them -- random hit location, critical hits, critical misses, etc. -- I figure the GURPS GMs out there must be using something. 2) I've made a few of my own which are serviceable enough, but the problem is -- they're butt-ugly. For example, "What a beautifully formatted attack roll. Omg, who vomited text in my chat? Ah, back to lovely formatting for damage." 3)  Do the integrated character sheet macros for things like combat skill rolls use, or could they use, things like @target and @selected? I.e., so the chat output would indicate the target of the rolled attack. Thanks for all the work put into this! I poke back in once a month or so, and it's always better than the last time I saw it. :)
Mook said: Hey y'all! A few quick questions as I continue poking around. 1) Are there any community created rollable tables? GURPS is so reliant on them -- random hit location, critical hits, critical misses, etc. -- I figure the GURPS GMs out there must be using something. 2) I've made a few of my own which are serviceable enough, but the problem is -- they're butt-ugly. For example, "What a beautifully formatted attack roll. Omg, who vomited text in my chat? Ah, back to lovely formatting for damage." 3)  Do the integrated character sheet macros for things like combat skill rolls use, or could they use, things like @target and @selected? I.e., so the chat output would indicate the target of the rolled attack. Thanks for all the work put into this! I poke back in once a month or so, and it's always better than the last time I saw it. :) I was working on the same thing last week.  I got about as far as you did, and have the same questions ...

Edited 1589702098
Sorry, this seems to be the only active GURPS thread on the entire site, could I add a... 4) How do you guys handle facing? I see a number of scripts scattered across the forums, but some date back years and it's still an issue.
Mook said: Sorry, this seems to be the only active GURPS thread on the entire site, could I add a... 4) How do you guys handle facing? I see a number of scripts scattered across the forums, but some date back years and it's still an issue. I just superimpose tokens (using GIMP) over the transparent hex "border" below. Normally it would be green/yellow/red, but we have one guy who is red/green colorblind, so we use yellow/blue/red. I put a little arrow in the bottom. Once you get the hang of GIMP, it becomes really trivial to drag a token onto this transparent hex token as a new layer, scale it to the right size, and export it to a PNG. I find that making the tokens 90 x 90 makes it fit EXACTLY to a 70 pixel hex (whereas a 70 x 70 pixel size PNG looks a little undersized in a typical 70 x 70 hex grid map).

Edited 1589822805
mrianmerry
Sheet Author
That's a really nice hex overlay, Chef! Looks so much more manageable than trying to add a facing indicator to a token inside of the hex. Would you be willing to make it available in the format that TokenTools requires for their overlays? @Mook; doesn't look like there's a way to get rid of the inline roll background colour (the bolded text) as a user inside the roll20 VTT. It's also a bit ... finickity to try and rework the existing "skillRoll" roll template, probably because I don't know all of the fields that can be used or that are needed. But it should be something the sheet authors could work on; if you can add a red/green recolour to the inline roll, I presume you can set a clear one and probably also change the text weighting so that it's not bold. A little bit of documentation, somewhere, and we have a roll template that can be used to make rollable templates much neater - we can't make a compendium of them because Roll20 doesn't allow that, but there's nothing stopping collaborative effort to make things a little bit easier to run... Is this something that's possible, @MadCoder/@Mike W?
Mook said: 1) Are there any community created rollable tables? GURPS is so reliant on them -- random hit location, critical hits, critical misses, etc. -- I figure the GURPS GMs out there must be using something. I use Pseudobot in Discord for crits and reactions in-game. It would be nice to have a similar tool in Roll20, but I think that's a separate project.
Thanks, that helps. I did a thing! I made a custom hex border for the Roll Advantage Token Maker , now I can just drag images onto the border and download, they all come out with the facing borders already in place. The colors are a bit muted at the moment, but I like it. Couldn't figure out how to attach the border .png, but once I get it posted on my site I'll let y'all know. Facing down, ugly chat to go! Appreciate the help.
The Pseudobot is *amazing*, no doubt about it! But I was hoping for something I have control over -- I don't often use the standard tables, mine are much more streamlined.

Edited 1589902242
Mike W.
Pro
Sheet Author
Mook said: 3)  Do the integrated character sheet macros for things like combat skill rolls use, or could they use, things like @target and @selected? I.e., so the chat output would indicate the target of the rolled attack. Thanks for all the work put into this! I poke back in once a month or so, and it's always better than the last time I saw it. :) The @target and@selected will be an option in a future upgrade of the sheet (at least for the combat Macros). Sorry for the slow resonances on my side, I am in the process of moving. Mike W I was working on the same thing last week.  I got about as far as you did, and have the same questions ...
Mook said: The Pseudobot is *amazing*, no doubt about it! But I was hoping for something I have control over -- I don't often use the standard tables, mine are much more streamlined. I had a quick try at finding this to see if it might be useful for my group, but I can't find it. Can you PM me with a link to it, if posting here is disallowed (although I can't see why it would be!)

Edited 1589915343
This should be the Pseudobot link : <a href="https://discordapp.com/oauth2/authorize?client_id=242855270076645377&amp;scope=bot&amp;permissions=0" rel="nofollow">https://discordapp.com/oauth2/authorize?client_id=242855270076645377&amp;scope=bot&amp;permissions=0</a>
Thanks!

Edited 1590543642
The sheet has crashed.
Not sure if this has been mentioned before, points gained from taking a stat less than 10 are counted as disadvantages, but are not calculated in the disadvantage section of the point sum on the general tab of the sheet.&nbsp; Is this intentional or an oversight?&nbsp;
MadCoder
Pro
Sheet Author
loomisc said: Not sure if this has been mentioned before, points gained from taking a stat less than 10 are counted as disadvantages, but are not calculated in the disadvantage section of the point sum on the general tab of the sheet.&nbsp; Is this intentional or an oversight?&nbsp; Thanks loomisc! That is an issue with the legacy code, I just noticed that a couple weeks ago. It will require some reworking how the totals are calculated, I did add this to my list of issues to resolve.
MadCoder
Pro
Sheet Author
Caines said: The sheet has crashed. Hi Caines,&nbsp; Can you take a screenshot on what happened to your sheet? I rechecked my sheets and they are loading correctly.&nbsp; Thanks, Ken
MadCoder
Pro
Sheet Author
Hi everyone,&nbsp; Version 2.3.5 launched today. The only noticeable difference is the alignment of the static defense buttons on the combat tab. There is another large update that involved adding translation tags to most of the sheet. This will allow Roll20 to have a group to add language translations. If you notice any odd text or wrong information please post it in this thread. GURPS Version 2.3.5 Added translations tags and an English translation file. Combat tab. Fixed bug in pop-out mode where toggle box is misaligned for static defenses. Outstanding Issue: Drag-drop ordering of repeating rows. I went back to February version of the sheet and the drag-drop is still broken. This might involve getting Roll20 involved to figure out the issue.
The sheet is broken. If i make a new party with this gurps sheet don´t load the party. The old party don´t load. I lose the party.
Malkavian50 said: The sheet is broken. If i make a new party with this gurps sheet don´t load the party. The old party don´t load. I lose the party. I failed to decrypt this one. My old sheets seem to load and function properly.
MadCoder
Pro
Sheet Author
Malkavian50 said: The sheet is broken. If i make a new party with this gurps sheet don´t load the party. The old party don´t load. I lose the party. Were you using GURPS (Style #2) and then switched to GURPS? &nbsp;

Edited 1590610786
I can't, the game won't load. Malkavian50 is right. I was always using GURPS sheet (1), not style 2. Created a new game, no diary, no nothing. Just don't pass from loading screen. When I change the sheet in configuration, to sheet 2, it loads normaly. Change back to 1 and it won't load again. MadCoder said: Caines said: The sheet has crashed. Hi Caines,&nbsp; Can you take a screenshot on what happened to your sheet? I rechecked my sheets and they are loading correctly.&nbsp; Thanks, Ken

Edited 1590613190
Strangely, when I create a new game, using a new account, the problem doesn't show up. Not even with all extensions instaled. I can even enter the crashed game with a invite, It works fine.

Edited 1590612113
GiGs
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Have you tried viewing the broken game in a different browser, in your main account ?&nbsp;

Edited 1590613303
GiGs said: Have you tried viewing the broken game in a different browser, in your main account ?&nbsp; Yes, no extension, main account, it wont work in any browser. New account, works with any browser, all extensions, all games. A friend of mine is having the same problem.

Edited 1590614561
It doesn't make much sense. I just tried enter the "broken" game, from a laptop which a don't use to play, never installed any extensions and it wont load. But with a new created account it work in any browser, any pc, any game. Also, if the new account invite my main account to a game the new account created, the main account won't load. The new account loads fine. looks like it is an account problem with the GURPS sheet 1. Anything else worth trying? I don't want to switch accounts.

Edited 1590616260
SOLVED: Change your account language to English.
MadCoder
Pro
Sheet Author
Caines said: SOLVED: Change your account language to English. Oh wow, I'm glad you figured out! So, what you were seeing was the translation tags for the sheet because your Roll20 account preferences was set to another language. I would have thought if a translation file didn't exist Roll20 would use an existing file. Roll20 does have a service that will create translation files, when those are available we'll post update to the character sheet and to this thread, then you can switch back to your preferred language.&nbsp;
MadCoder
Pro
Sheet Author
eVie said: The draggable corner for changing the size of the text box for the descriptions on disadvantages doesn't work properly, it overlaps with the other disadvantages and then can no longer be selected.&nbsp; I can't select the corner to rescale this text box back to where it was any more. Reloading the page works, but is inconvenient. Hi eVie, TamedFlame made some css changes that fixed the issue. It should be ready for the 6/2/2020 release.
MadCoder
Pro
Sheet Author
Hi everyone,&nbsp; I did some digging and it appears the issue when a character sheet is popped into its own window and you can't drag/drop a row in a repeating table is Roll20 bug. I tested on the D&amp;D 5E sheet and I couldn't drag/drop items in my inventory when window is popped out but it worked fine when it's still part of the VTT. I reported the issue on their GitHub site.
Andreas J.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Translator
MadCoder said: Hi everyone,&nbsp; I did some digging and it appears the issue when a character sheet is popped into its own window and you can't drag/drop a row in a repeating table is Roll20 bug. There are multiple things that doesn't work when sheets are popped out, here is more info on it: <a href="https://wiki.roll20.net/Character_Sheets#Character_Sheet_in_a_separate_window" rel="nofollow">https://wiki.roll20.net/Character_Sheets#Character_Sheet_in_a_separate_window</a>
MadCoder
Pro
Sheet Author
Andreas J. said: MadCoder said: Hi everyone,&nbsp; I did some digging and it appears the issue when a character sheet is popped into its own window and you can't drag/drop a row in a repeating table is Roll20 bug. There are multiple things that doesn't work when sheets are popped out, here is more info on it: <a href="https://wiki.roll20.net/Character_Sheets#Character_Sheet_in_a_separate_window" rel="nofollow">https://wiki.roll20.net/Character_Sheets#Character_Sheet_in_a_separate_window</a> Thanks Andreas J!
Oh man, I'm sorry to hear that Roll20's translation services crap out when a preferred language option isn't available for a sheet. Feels like an oversight...

Edited 1590765666
Andreas J.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Translator
Ian said: Oh man, I'm sorry to hear that Roll20's translation services crap out when a preferred language option isn't available for a sheet. Feels like an oversight... "Bug" would be the right term for this, and similar reports else have reached Roll20's ears, so this issue is being investigated. (I also posted a link to this mention there.) That being said, When I looked at the GURPS sheet's code on github , I think the problem is caused by faulty submission of translation capabilities this week, that slipped past Roll20's review. As the sheet only have a language file for English, it seems the sheet breaks for all other languages. had a translation.json file been submitted, those would have been auto-generated by Roll20. Edit: Cassie have submitted a fix for this. <a href="https://github.com/Roll20/roll20-character-sheets/pull/6647" rel="nofollow">https://github.com/Roll20/roll20-character-sheets/pull/6647</a>
GiGs
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Todays roll20 update acknowledges the translation issue shouldnt have happened, and they have a fix in development for similar future events: We fixed one of the causes this morning, where games using the community-created GURPS character sheet would not load if your language was set to something other than English. This type of issue comes up once in a while, and we have a fix for the underlying cause in development. So dont feel too bad about it MadCoder- missing the translation file shouldnt cause sheet to fail to load. This was a roll20 issue. Thankfully they recognise it as a problem, so future sheet maintainers shouldnt suffer the same effect.
MadCoder
Pro
Sheet Author
GiGs said: Todays roll20 update acknowledges the translation issue shouldnt have happened, and they have a fix in development for similar future events: We fixed one of the causes this morning, where games using the community-created GURPS character sheet would not load if your language was set to something other than English. This type of issue comes up once in a while, and we have a fix for the underlying cause in development. So dont feel too bad about it MadCoder- missing the translation file shouldnt cause sheet to fail to load. This was a roll20 issue. Thankfully they recognise it as a problem, so future sheet maintainers shouldnt suffer the same effect. Thanks for the info GiGs!