Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

[LFP] Job Listing for Crew for the Nebulas Dawn

Edited 1590226317
Hello and let the light of employment shine on you! The owner(s) of the Nebulas Dawn have several positions to fill on their newly acquired ship(*) and are looking for open minded and skilled crew that do not lose sight on profitable trade and transport! Check the positions listed below and apply TODAY ! Merchant Marine, Military, and Scout service appreciated! Ship's Captain - Have command experience? Know how to run a ship efficiently? Sign up TODAY ! Ship's Pilot - Have you piloted a range of space craft? Have no problems docking a ship at high station or landing on the right pad at low station? Apply NOW ! Ship's Navigator - Are you skilled at navigation and astrogation? Familiar with the legacy and current astrogation software? FILL out that application! Ship's Engineer - Can you keep calm while fixing life support so then the crew can enter the cockpit to navigate you away from that uncharted rogue planet? Sign up TODAY ! Ship's Steward - Can you smooth over ruffled feathers of High passage clientele while securing the most profitable cargo at the starport? FILL out that application! Ship's Doctor - Are you board certified as an EMT for the major sophont races? Certified as a nurse or doctor with one of the major sophont races? Apply NOW ! Ship's Gunner - Experienced with multi-weapon turret systems? Able to keep a cool head and only fire when ordered? Sign up TODAY ! Ship's Security - Can you handle yourself in a fight? Can you keep a fight from happening? FILL out that application! Ship's Ablehand - Want to travel the known systems? Looking to learn a trade in the exciting world of interplanetary commerce? Apply NOW ! Think you might be overqualified? When you fill out your application, check the box for "I am interested in filling more than one position for a substantial bonus!". "On the Nebulas Dawn, we don’t just accept difference — we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our ship, its crew, cargo, and clientele. Nebulas Dawn is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace for all major sophont races of the cohabital C-O-CO-N subtypes. We apologize, but due to the limitation of the Nebulas Dawn's life support system, we must keep a safe environment for the ship, crew, cargo, and clientele." (*) See Appendix J ------- Meta-Gaming Info I am looking to run a space sci-fi game that will be on a multidimensional spectrum from Space Opera to Episodic Serials to Hard Sci-Fi. It can include comedic and light hearted tones and/or serious and realistic material. While I would enjoy including horror and survival elements, I am not looking to run a horror survival game set in space. I am hoping for 3 to 5 players for Friday evenings (Eastern US Time zone) with a starting time of 7 to 9pm and ending between 10pm to midnight (GMT -5). This could be a short run of half a dozen sessions or it could be a multi-year campaign. The three game systems I am thinking of are GURPS 4th edition for a more detailed set of game mechanics, FATE Core (or Condensed) for a rules light game, or Classic Traveller for something in between. I will be using Roll20 for the VTT, dice roller, and handouts and to have a repository of information the players collect. It will also be where character sheets (even if just PDF or text of the character's statistics) and inventory will be stored. I have run games that are text chat only, voice, or voice and video. I am open to all three, but if everyone does not have a headset, I find it advantageous to just go with text/chat, as there is less time troubleshooting audio issues, sudden lose of audio or bad sound quality. For voice and video, I am open to Discord, Zoom, or Google Hangouts. I will not use Facebook, MS Teams, or some other product. None of these are perfect, but until those products get much better, I am reluctant to use them. First session or two will be agreeing on the setting, what kind of game everyone is interested in at this time, and character creation. As this is starting as an interview for positions on a starship, only qualified characters will be considered. There will be no Ship's Pilot that does not have any piloting skills, etc. Feel free to ask questions here or DM/PM me. TL;DR: Genre : Space Sci-Fi game with additional genre options of comedy, horror, hard sci-fi, and space opera. Setting : Traveller-esque space exploration, adventure, and trade. Think Firefly/Serenity, Babylon5, Deep Space 9, Farscape, and Picard. Players : 3 to 5, novice to experienced TT RPG gamers, some VTT (Roll20) experience preferred Game System : Consensus for one of these three: GURPS 4th Edition, Classic Traveller, or FATE Core/Condensed Time : Friday evenings, start 7-9pm Eastern USA (GMT -5) Session Frequency : Weekly to Monthly, as Player & GM schedules permit Session Duration : 3 to 4 hours Campaign Duration : 6 sessions to multi-year continuing campaign VTT : Roll20 Communication : Consensus of text/chat, voice, and voice+video, + email Cost : Free
Senjak
Pro
Sheet Author
Hello! I'd saw your posting in FB and would love to play in your game. I've played Traveller in various forms since the days of the Black Box. I'd love to play the pilot or navigator though the other positions would be fine as well!
Cool! Once we have a majority (3 players), we can start discussing game system, which will guide character options. What genre elements would you like to play with in this game? Just a straight Traveller game, or are you open to some other genre mix-ins? :)
Hi interested.
Senjak
Pro
Sheet Author
I'm open to all sorts of mixing.  It is more important that the group continue to have fun. I don't think that I've run a vanilla Traveller game since the days that Traveller and D&D were about the only two role playing games out there. With so much fun SF out there, it would be a shame to limit the players's imagination. I'm partial to GURPS Traveller and FATE simply because I like crafting characters rather than relying on random rolling.  I'm still getting to know FATE, so that system is very appealing to me.
Hello Eric! Do you have any experience with Traveller? Any other space set RPGs?
Hello Perspective Players, There are a few things that players need to come to a consensus on, such as the frequency of sessions (weekly, biweekly, monthly), game system, starting time, and any particulars elements that you would like to see and any elements you would like to avoid. For frequency, just put them in priority order. Might as well do the same with game systems and starting times. Elements could be genres, concepts, or even particular story telling methods that rub you the wrong way. Just let me (or the group) know and we can discuss it and make sure I understand the concern or the enjoyment for these elements. The goal is for everyone to have fun, enjoy the story and the experience.
I have no experience with traveler but would like to join.
I have no experience with travelor but would love to join as well.  My TTRPG experience is largely dnd, shadowrun and cthulu based.  I've always wanted to play a space adventure.  Interested in Engineer or steward roles
Senjak
Pro
Sheet Author
First off, I'd like to say that there is always room for Cthulhu horrors in Traveller.  They are lurking there at the edge of known space. Most of the games that I run tend to slip into madness/Cthulhu mythos regardless of the system :-) That said, I want to directly address some of the questions Lloyd has for the group. A weekly or biweekly game would be really nice, partially it would depend upon how much time Lloyd needs for prep time.  If he wants to run once a week, that would be fantastic. Friday evenings are great for me. Sadly my GF has to work then, but that does mean that the gaming lamp is lit. I'm in the Central time zone, but with the current state of the world, my sleep schedule is just weird. Generally a 4 hour session gives the group enough time to get into trouble, but shouldn't lead to burn out. Both FATE and GURPS allow for lots of customizing of characters; however, FATE games can be more easily (IMHO!) be set up to have the group interconnected. I'd really like part of the first session involve *why* our characters are travelling together. Some Traveller games I've been involved with have devolved into pencil pushing and paychecks.  More effort is spent buying and selling cargo than actually adventuring. That can get dull fast.  The 'solution' that I've seen work the best is when the players have the loan of a scout ship, either a 100 ton ship, or even better a larger scout ship with slightly longer jump drive legs. Having a ship on loan allows the players to adventure on their own, and have the Imperial authorities request assistance for more interesting jobs or leads. I really don't want to play a murder hobo game where the only solution is to kill everything. I'd like there to be interaction with NPCs. Beyond that, there is so much adventure to be had in a space opera game.  What does everyone else think?
Hello, If you have never played FATE Core or FATE based game, here is a website of resources. (Not Fate Accelerated, that uses slightly different mechanics) <a href="https://www.evilhat.com/home/fate-core-downloads/" rel="nofollow">https://www.evilhat.com/home/fate-core-downloads/</a> There is the option to buy a 'Pay What You Want' PDF for FATE Core that can be gotten from the link above. If you have never played GURPS or specifically GURPS 4th edition, there is a free 'lite' rules here: <a href="http://www.warehouse23.com/products/gurps-lite-fourth-edition" rel="nofollow">http://www.warehouse23.com/products/gurps-lite-fourth-edition</a> If you have never played Traveller before, especially Classic Traveller, then you can get some of the main books for free at this link: <a href="https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/80190/CTSTStarter-Traveller" rel="nofollow">https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/80190/CTSTStarter-Traveller</a>
I have played in all three system but don't have lots of experience with them, like two to six session each so don't have strong feelings on one or another of the the systems.&nbsp; I love the idea for the game and very much would like to be apart of it if you still have player slots open&nbsp;
Hello, I do not expect any prior knowledge, but I know sometimes if I am starting a new game even as a player I will want to start learning about it, even if it is just the basic game mechanics. My max number for players is 5 and we are at 4 so far.

Edited 1590447357
I am free during game time and would love to join if you would have me on the crew as far a voice system goes I am cool with all but prefer voice on discord&nbsp;
Senjak
Pro
Sheet Author
Discord's voice is so much nicer. v&nbsp;
Hello, Seems like game system is pretty open and given the ease of learning FATE, I would go that way, unless a majority of the players vote for a different system? I would like to meet this Friday to discuss the game, even if just via Roll20 chat until we have selected the voice or voice/video platform we will be using. Maybe set the parameters for character creation and the game 'world'. Say 8pm?
Still looking for more crew? &nbsp;Ship Ablehand here, certified GURPS credentials upon request. &nbsp;Had some Traveller experience as well but that was probably before some of the other crewmen were born.
Hello Ben, You would be player number 5. Could you provide your feedback about game system (Classic Traveller, GURPS, FATE), Start Time (7 to 9pm Eastern time), frequency of sessions (weekly, biweekly, monthly), and any particular elements you would like to see or avoid for the game?

Edited 1591889288
Hello Potential Players! Below is the roster of players I have so far with any feedback you have provided (summarized; if I got your intention incorrect, let me know). Player 1: Senjak Game System: FATE, then GURPS; Start Time: ?; Session Frequency: Weekly; Campaign Duration: ?; Communication: Discord. Player 2: TheInfamousNerd Game System: ?; Start Time: (has hard out time of midnight EST); Session Frequency: ?; Campaign Duration: ?; Communication: ?. Player 3: Jacob Game System: GURPS; Start Time: 7pm; Session Frequency: 2 weeks; Campaign Duration: 24+; Communication: Discord. Player 4: Buzz Start Time: ?; Session Frequency: ?; Campaign Duration: ?; Player 5: (open) Start Time: ?; Session Frequency: ?; Campaign Duration: ?; Alt. Player 1: Erpman Game System: Traveller; Start Time: 7pm; Session Frequency: Weekly; Campaign Duration: ?; Communication: Discord. Alt. Player 2: Eric Game System: ?; Start Time: ?; Session Frequency: ?; Campaign Duration: ?; Communication: ?. Alt. Player 3: Mumbles Game System: ?; Start Time: ?; Session Frequency: ?; Campaign Duration: ?; Communication: ?. Alt. Player 4: Ben Game System: GURPS; Start Time: ?; Session Frequency: ?; Campaign Duration: ?; Communication: ?. I will update this post as potential players provide information. I would like to start preparing, especially around what game mechanics will be used, so please let me know ASAP.
Player 3: Jacob Game System: GURPS; Start Time: 7pm; Session Frequency: every other week (bi monthly); Campaign Duration: 24 or more sessions; Communication: Discord. Note: I am free at all start times and I could do every week as well&nbsp;
I'm down for sure.&nbsp; I'd prefer Traveller system but open to any. Weekly at 7pm works perfectly for me.&nbsp; Would also prefer a voice campaign on discord
Hello Potential Players! I DM'ed the link to the game to all those who responded on this thread as being interested in playing. We had a pre-Session 0 and got a few things worked out. If you are still interested, great! We are having a Session 0 for character creation and helping link up character's back story (so each PC has had a previous encounter with at least one other PC) this coming Friday (June 5th). If you are no longer interested or cannot make it, I understand, just let me know so I can open the spot up if another person is interested in playing! Thanks, and hope to see you on Friday, June 5th, 2020 at 8pm Eastern (GMT-5)!
Hey, interested in the game. It would be running on the late side for me since I work super early in the morning. Should be good as long as it doesnt go past 12 am EST
Senjak
Pro
Sheet Author
I had a lot of fun working on my character and am looking forward to playing.&nbsp; As I mentioned during the game, although my CHARACTER has secrets that she is keeping, I'm happy to talk about them with other PLAYERS -- I've always had fun talking about the various characters I've been playing. Next I need to work on the character's equipment!
Senjak
Pro
Sheet Author
Giant drop shipment of GURPS V4 books arriving tomorrow!
Hello! Session Zero is scheduled for this Friday, June 5th. I sent the link to the game via DM to all potential players! If you cannot make it, just let me know as I have two alternate players wanting to join the game. If you have any questions, feel free to ask here, DM via the forum or log into the game and ask there. Looking forward to getting this going!
Senjak
Pro
Sheet Author
How are prices and items adjusted when going from TL-9 to TL-11?&nbsp; Specific question for various guns and armor (okay armor is TL-10 to TL-11)
I have been thinking about this and the most common option is that earlier TL stuff (TL9 armor in a TL11 system) will be cheaper, but the same stats. This makes it very easy and cheap for someone to manufacture TL9 armor (or gadgets) in a TL11 system, then turn around and sell them in a TL9 system for 'full' price. Another option is to actually upgrade the armor to the current TL, which usually involves making it lighter or more durable. Besides no gravitic weapons, there will also be no portable or mobile anti-matter powerplants, weapons, etc. I will be available at points on and off today and several times tomorrow.