Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Terrible Lag, seems the norm these days...

Trying to Prep for a game tonight and so far the Lag is terrible, I'm waiting and waiting for character sheets to open, for items dragged from the free and paid content to appear, and slow response from the API, how long is this going to continue?
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
I'm not seeing general reports of lag currently, so you could check some of the likeliest culprits: Having Advanced Fog of War and Global Illumination active simultaneously Having autofill and autocomplete turned on in Firefox (possibly Chrome) Having a huge number of characters with many, many spells in a single game Gigantic map Using a non-supported browser (not Chrome/FF) That's off the top of my head in roughly decreasing order of likeliness/amount of lag.
Don't use the AFoW, Don't use Dynamic Lighting, only 4 PCs, largest map is 25X25, Using Chrome. Prep was bad but the actual game session wasn't too laggy, only  a few times did we have to wait for results and did not have to restart the API. Thanks Keith for the quick response.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Hopefully it was just bad timing. Another thing I do is restart everything just before a game session. Just to make sure I don't have any resources mysteriously tied up.
The lag is god awful during prime time. Trying to DM my game on sunday and players were having issues logging in, took ages for me to log in when its normally within 15 seconds... it was 5+ minutes.  Only happening during prime time hours. A few hours later, everything is running normal again.