Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

[Script] Short Rest

Edited 1592578803
Werner D.
API Scripter
Hi  I wanted the ability to more easily simulate a Short Rest for the 5e OGL character sheet, that not only uses the Hit Dice to increase the character's health but also reset resources for classes that gets reset on a short rest. The script can be found in the  Roll20 Repo  or from the one-click drop down. The original script was found here  in the forum, unattributed. So if anyone knows who made it originally, please let me know and I'll add it to the authors list. In a nutshell Allows Hit Dice, Class Resource and Spellslot tracking for Short Rests on the 5e OGL Character Sheet. The script can be used in 2 ways, either by clicking on Hit Dice on the 5e OGL Sheet or by selecting a token and running the  !shortrest-nohd  command (if you want to do a short rest without expending any Hit Dice.) The script will then check if you have any Hit Die to spend, if you aren't already full health it will update the character's health with the rolled amount. Further to this it will check whether the class has any resources or spell slots that resets on a short rest and reset those. Classes currently supported If there's any I missed, please let me know and I'll add them Resources Class Ability Cleric Channel Divinity, Visions of the Past Druid Wild Shape, Spirit Totem Fighter Action Surge, Second Wind, Superiority Dice, Arcane Shot Monk Ki Bard Bardic Inspiration from level 5, Enthralling Performance, Words of Terror, Unbreakable Majesty Ranger  Detect Portal, Etherreal Step, Magic User's Nemesis Sorcerer  Favored by the Gods, Wind Soul Wizard  Blade Song, Arcane Abeyance, Illusory Self Spell Slots Warlock
does it prompt to see how many hitdice the players wish to expend? i had done something earlier with varying results
No, this is run from the 5e OGL Character Sheet. So you click on the Hit Die link on the sheet, this automatically rolls the Hit Die in the chat. The script grabs that value, checks if you have any hit die available, check if you aren't already full health and then grabs the rolled value (otherwise it prompts and says that you can't due to whatever reason). After that it checks if the class on the sheet is one of those that has a resource or spell slot that resets and resets those to max. If you want to use another dice, you'll click on the Hit Dice on the sheet again to do the roll again.
The command  !shortrest-nohd  does the resource resets without rolling the Hit Dice (and that means no dice is subtracted but health also doesn't increase)
5th level and higher Bards recover their Inspiration dice after a Short Rest.  Superiority Dice (used by Battle Master fighters and provided by certain Feats) are also recovered after a Short Rest.  I don't know that it's practical to try and automate the spell slot recovery that Wizards and Land Druids get, since the player decides how those get distributed.
Thanks Bill.  I'll add the Inspiration dice for 5th level and higher Bards and check the Superiority Dice for Battle Masters. Will do some investigation on which Feats give you those dice too. The Arcane Recovery (and whatever it's called for Land Druids), I agree shouldn't be automatic as that's something they decide whether they want to use. Will update this post once I've updated the script.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Werner D, I'll extended the same offer I made to Magnar. If you would like to check for any missing class features, feel free to look at the list in  my script . I intentionally left a few sourcebooks out, but that may have been personal preference speaking. I was shooting for AL legal.
Thanks Keith, that will really come in handy. One always misjudges how many there actually are.

Edited 1592578840
Werner D.
API Scripter
New version has been released to the one-click dropdown. I've updated the original post. Version 0.1.2 includes: Classes and abilities that I missed have been added Multiclass checks - if you've multiclassed into one of the classes that gets resource resets on a short rest, those will now also reset. Fixed the one-click's markdown.