Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Random Suggestions

Edited 1401275633
1) The controls on the left should have better default behaviors based on the next action of the user. For example: When you reveal or hide areas but subsequently left or right click on a token the select control should auto work. This prevents a user from having to onerously choose the select control before working with tokens again. This is VERY much needed behavior. In fact clicking on a token should always auto select. 2) When a turn order is added for a token, this absolutely should not affect the current (green shaded) turn location. A new combatant enters the field and everything gets mucked up. No. Leave the current token the same. This is also true for re-sorting default behavior. Leave the green currency unaffected. 3) There needs to be a select group function somewhere. This allows the GM to choose a cast for the evening or different casts of journal entries as scene sets. Then, when the GM is on a page, a cast set can be chosen and all of them are added to map at the same time. 4) Journal entries should have a set of flags for initial visibility. If this flag is set to false the associated token comes onto the map (and turn order - see 5 below)visible only to the GM. 5) Anytime a token is placed on the map by default is initiative should be rolled and an entry created in the turn order. If the initially visible flag is set to false, players should not see that token's initiative entry. 6) The Path functions should have a relationship to the right click menu for a token. Show Last Turn's Path should be an option. That would move the token back through its last move (as long as the player moved it properly using the pathing). Like a replay button. 7) Journal entry and cast sets should be storable and retrievable and absolutely NOT stay junking up the currently viewable journal. This is a general case pattern needed for any list of things. There should be storable and retrievable macros, not just a giant list. 8) The visibility of a token to players should be a right click token menu item so the GM can quickly make a token disappear while maintaining its location. 9) When the GM left or right clicks on a token the pulldown menu for the chat (who is speaking or acting) should auto-change to that token's journal entry. 10) When a token is pulled from a journal entry to the map, its ownership, name, and as much of the rest as can be datawise should go with that. Having to re-assign the token to the player is ridiculous.
There are some that I agree with (1 and 2 mainly), some that I disagree with. Number 5 (auto roll initiative), I don't agree with... there are many times I place people on the map in non-combat situations, so why would I always want initiative rolled. This sounds like more of a personal use case than generalized use case, so I personally can't relate. Number 9, I don't agree with... because there are many times during a fight where a boss is talking while the mooks are acting... this would constantly change who is "speaking". I could see maybe an option to set it with right-click dropdown, but otherwise this again sounds more like a personal use case. Number 10 already happens, but it can be confusing to setup the first time. Essentially you need to make sure the Journal Entry is configured how you want it, particularly who can control the token, and then saved. Then modify the token exactly how you want it in terms of name, ownership, stat bubble assignment, and dynamic lighting settings on the advanced tab. Once this done and saved, go back to the Journal Entry, edit the entry and set the token. If you ever need to update the token, then you need to remove it from the Journal and reset the token link to the Journal.

Edited 1401278791
Most of that might help you but would cause issues for others, perfect example using tokens for boardgames auto initiative and such would be troublesome. 8) Visibility can be easily changed just move the token to the GM layer. 10) This already works that way. You just have to set everything up correctly on the token before you establish it as the default token for the character.
1) I disagree entirely, unless it can be made a toggleable option. There's too many times where I might need to reveal something in the same space as a token, for example, and it would be a HUGE pain to have to continuously re-select the Reveal tool over and over until I'm finally done revealing everything I intend to reveal. It takes literally three seconds to try to click something, remember you're not on the selection tool, and then ya know, select it. 2) I don't have a problem with the turn order system, except that annoying bug where everyone tries to add their token at once and some people get skipped. If you've never had that happen, you've got a more disciplined group than I! 3) This is a brilliant idea. Expand it slightly and it allows one to create groups of 'mooks' to add to the board at once; doing this, then, one could easily include the ability to re-name the mooks, ie give each one a number, for easy identification. I imagine something like a journal entry, with individual areas to which one can drag-and-drop, or click-and-select, any number of varied tokens from either the character sheets or just simple token groups; then one would simply hit the button to add the entire group to the map at once, sorted, named, and arranged as desired. 4) Good idea, that would be nice. 5) Eh... naw. Unless, again, it were toggleable. Note: As Kevin said, it would be useful some of the time, not all of the time. 6) Good idea; it would be nice for the players to have SOMETHING in their right-click menu, instead of that annoying empty box we get now! 7) As the Roll20 program gets more and more sophisticated, something is going to have to be done about the way we access different features, whether it be tagging/folders, or hidden storage like the archive, or whatever. The current system works but it won't last forever. 8) If you mean 'move to GM layer' then, yeah, it already is that. If you mean a more sophisticated system whereby some players can and some cannot see a given token on the token layer (for invisibility etc) then I'm all for it, please do this Roll20! 9) Meh, that'd mess me up. I'd never remember to set it back to 'myself' again! 10) Maybe if I make this a YouTube video more people will read it. (ps: Yay, I have ten nickels now!) </inside joke> Note: What Kevin Said, only as a wiki. -Phnord
Gauss
Forum Champion
1) That is what the hotkeys are for. When you want to switch tools (such as to the select tool) hit Ctrl+S and you will now be on the select tool. 2) Could you explain what you mean? Your description does not match any behavior of the turn order that I am aware of. 3) You use the tag system to have only certain character sheets be visible. Your other half of the idea is interesting though. :) 4) You can do this by switching to the GM layer and dropping the token on the GM layer. If you use the hotkeys (as mentioned earlier) will make this easier.. 6) You can see a token's last move by clicking on it and then hitting the space bar. 7) Again, this is what tags are for. You can also archive journal entries. 8) As already stated, you can move a token to the GM layer to make it vanish from players. 10) As Phnord already pointed out, this is a problem with how you set up the token to begin with.
1) Default behavior is superior to additional keystrokes. It makes what people want to do and do by accident the correct thing to do. It is the best form of subtle programming. When I left click something I AM selecting it. I see no need for a select mode. :) 2) I add combatants to the turn order all the time during a fight. This is normal as summoned creatures are new and such. If you add new stuff to the turn order, the green currency tracker gets lost and I have to flip all the way around again to the correct turn and maybe even figure out what turn it actually is. I also have to add an initiative for that token and resort, none of which should be needed. The add process should add, roll, and sort; all while keeping the same currency. 3) I don't understand how a tag system helps. I know of no way to take journal entries off the list without deleting them entirely which is crazy. 4) Yeah I keep forgetting the GM layer. 6) I will try that! Thanks! 7) I still don't understand how tags work that way. That means the interface is not making the functionality obvious. I think that last sentence means a change is in order. Do you? 8) Yup got it. 10) I'll have to look into that youtube entry, ty. I can tell that my journal entries, some very filled out, do NOT carry the info with them. I spend a lot of time re-entering the same data.
Gauss
Forum Champion
1) There would probably going to be problems with auto-selecting a token. If a person wants to draw in a square containing a token or measure something they would be unable to if it automatically selected the token. By using hotkeys people have control over what they are doing when they are working on something. 2) I am not sure how the green highlighted turn gets lost. It should be at the top. Could you provide screenshot examples of before and after? That may help explain it. 3) You can tag a character sheet and then bring up only those character sheets with that tag on it. How to do this: Edit the character sheet. Under "Tags" type in any tag you want to use. For example, "Group A". Save the sheet. At the top of the Journal tab is a tag search. Enter "Group A" and it will show only those character sheets with "Group A" tags. Also, you can Archive sheets that are no longer needed but you do not want to delete. How to do this: Edit the character sheet. Click the "Archive" button. To restore an Archived character sheet Click "Archived" (at the bottom of the character sheet list) and hit the "Restore" button on any character sheets you would like to restore. 10) The problem is your tokens are not carrying the info because when you set them as "Default Token" (in the character sheet) you did not set them up completely. Set them up completely and then make them the default token in the character sheet. In short, "Default Token" saves a copy of the token at the time you made it the default. It will retain any settings it had at that time. Here is the wiki on how to do this properly (Phnord wrote this): <a href="https://wiki.roll20.net/Linking_Tokens_to_Journals" rel="nofollow">https://wiki.roll20.net/Linking_Tokens_to_Journals</a>