Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

D&D 5e OGL sheet - Thieves tools macro.

My player currently has to click on thieves tools, select an attribute from the drop down.  I would like to set a default macro for thieves tools to use dex.  I tried "recording the macro" by following the above steps and then selecting the macro language from chat, but I can not see how to have it automatically select dex as the attribute. any help is welcome. thanks,
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
It would help if you were to post the macro code you are currently using. It should be an easy fix, but with the exact macro code, you'll get a better final macro.

Edited 1592160999
This will roll Thieve's Tool adding Proficiency Bonus and your dex mod. Add it to their 'Attributes & Abilities' tab as an Ability. &{template:simple} {{rname=Thieves' Tools}} {{mod=@{dexterity_mod}}} {{r1=[[d20 + @{dexterity_mod}[DEX] + @{pb}[PROF] ]] }} {{always=1}} {{r2=[[d20 + @{dexterity_mod}[DEX] + @{pb}[PROF] ]] }} {{charname=@{character_name}}}
keithcurtis said: It would help if you were to post the macro code you are currently using. It should be an easy fix, but with the exact macro code, you'll get a better final macro. Good point next time I will be sure to post the macro that is not working. MarkOfTheDragon said: This will roll Thieve's Tool adding Proficiency Bonus and your dex mod. Add it to their 'Attributes & Abilities' tab as an Ability. &{template:simple} {{rname=Thieves' Tools}} {{mod=@{dexterity_mod}}} {{r1=[[d20 + @{dexterity_mod}[DEX] + @{pb}[PROF] ]] }} {{always=1}} {{r2=[[d20 + @{dexterity_mod}[DEX] + @{pb}[PROF] ]] }} {{charname=@{character_name}}} This worked great!  Thanks for solution.  I really need to sit down and learn how all these are written so I can start writing my own.
Why are you all making this overly complicated? Go to the Thieves' Tools, click the edit symbol, and change the stat from Query to Dexterity.
David M.
Pro
API Scripter
Dakota H. said: Why are you all making this overly complicated? Go to the Thieves' Tools, click the edit symbol, and change the stat from Query to Dexterity. The simplest short term solution, yes, but aside from answering the OP's specific question, if this gets the OP and their group more comfortable with and thinking about macros and other Roll20 features, it can enhance their gameplay experience in the long term :)