Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Purchased map wont align to grid correctly

Hi all, pretty new to this so i'm hoping you'll forgive a possibly newb question. I have purchased a digital map pack for Curse of Strahd from Mike Schleys website (not sure if i'm allowed to post the link but it's easy to find) - the site says it is "ideal for virtual tabletop".  But no matter what i do i can't seem to get it to align to the grid in Roll20. i did have to resize the original image (it was a 61mb png file so i've shrunk that by a percentage and re-saved as a jpeg so it doesn't use as much space) but i was careful to maintain the aspect ratio. Anyone got any advice?
Learning to align grids/maps is a skill to be learned, no matter how virtual friendly the claim is for them :) If you haven't read: <a href="https://roll20.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360039243994-Aligning-Maps" rel="nofollow">https://roll20.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360039243994-Aligning-Maps</a> you should. Otherwise: - Make sure the map is placed on the map layer - Manually size it until it's close - Zoom in to 150%, right click and align to grid - Hold alt down while moving the map to fine tune matching artwork with the grid
Thanks, i found a video online and the trick is to make the map a drawing and slowly adjust it until it first correctly.&nbsp; Snap to grid didn't work as the map had a border. I'm sure it will get easier with time.&nbsp; Now to find number tokens so i can setup the GM layer properly.
YubYub191 said: Snap to grid didn't work as the map had a border. If you hold alt down while moving the map, you get to ignore the snap to grid feature, letting you line up the art with roll20 grid lines.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Also, I use the side handles and align it first horizontally, and then vertically, rather than trying to do both at the same time.
keithcurtis said: Also, I use the side handles and align it first horizontally, and then vertically, rather than trying to do both at the same time. That's exactly what I ended up doing.&nbsp; Set the map as a drawing so I can stretch and resize it more easily, then once it's lined up disable the drawing bit again.&nbsp; Takes a bit of fiddling but worth it in the end. Didn't help that the map I was using turned out to the 1 square = 10ft, which is why it looked so squashed up and weird at first.