Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

NPC Name Generator help

Hello everyone hoping someone will be able to point me in the right direction.  I have a macro which rolls me some details on NPC characters  /w GM &{template:default} {{name=NPCGenerator}} {{Gender= [[1t[Gender]]]}}{{Race=[[1t[Race]]]}}{{Appearance=[[1t[NPCAppearance]]]}}{{HighAbility=[[1t[NPCAbility-High]]]}}}{{LowAbility=[[1t[NPCAbility-Low]]]}}{{Talent=[[1t[NPCTalents]]]}}{{NPCMannerisms=[[1t[NPCMannerisms]]]}} What i now want to do is expand this out by having it roll a random name based off the results from the above macro.  So if the above rolls me a Male Dragonborn i want to be able to include within the above macro a name generated from 2 tables (dragonboard male names and clan names), i'm currently putting together a set of tables for male and female names along with a relevant surnametable  for each race.  What would i need to faciliate this?  I am a pro subscriber so do have access to the API but my skills in creating API scripts.  I will thank you in advance and buy you all virtual cookies.

Edited 1592503362
Kraynic
Pro
Sheet Author
I think I would just do this with a chat menu, so no api required. Once you have all your tables set up, create a character sheet that will hold all your name generation macros.&nbsp; As character abilities, create a macro for each race that will assemble both a male and female name.&nbsp; Create a chat menu with a button that can call each race you have set up a generator for.&nbsp; And then put a button at the end of your race generation macro you included in your post to call up the name generation menu. Let's say your dragonborn ability macro is called dbornnames, the chat menu is called namelist, and it is on a character called Namegen. The button in the chat menu to call the dragonborn list would be: [Dragonborn Names](~Namegen|dbornnames) The button to put at the end of any of your npc creation macros would look like: [Name Generators](~Namegen|namelist) The part in the square brackets is what will be displayed on your button.&nbsp; This is just a combination of the macro character and chat menu tricks from the stupid tricks thread:&nbsp; <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/permalink/5927072/" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/permalink/5927072/</a> <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/permalink/5924364/" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/permalink/5924364/</a> Or you can do what I do, which is have one big name generator for male, another for female and just have each one print out a list of names for each language/style of name you have made tables for.&nbsp; Mine spits out names (first &amp; last) drawn from 10 languages (one per macro line), assembles a "savage" name from syllables, assembles a 2 part tribe/clan name, and then prints out a few possible epithets ("the savage", "the holy", etc.) to append to the name if desired.&nbsp; I like having all the options in view at once because I may mix/match names depending on mood.&nbsp; Edit:&nbsp; Depending on how/where you expect to be using this, you might just have all your macros on a character sheet.&nbsp; I have a "Character Creation Monster" with a token on the GM layer of the world map of my games.&nbsp; All of my name, personality, and various other generators are set as token actions.&nbsp; I archive the sheet so it isn't cluttering up the journal, and just access all the rolls through the token.&nbsp; If a player wants/needs to make use of it, I just temporarily pop the token down to the object/token layer and let them have at it.&nbsp; If you already have a bunch of macros in your collection, this helps keep your list there under control by moving out things that won't see as much constant use.
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
If you do want to use an API, RecursiveTable could be used to generate all of this.
Thank you both for your suggestions.&nbsp; I do have the recursive table script installed already.&nbsp; just haven't really dived in to how useful or what it can do.&nbsp; I know i could always just have another macro which let's me pick from the tables i've created.&nbsp; so i'll look in to the recursive script stuff and then use that/namegen charactr sheet when all else fails and i'm too dumb to put it all together. :)