Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Create an ability command button that can only be seen by the GM

I currently have a scenario where my player will use a macro that ends up with a whispered ability command button to me (the GM), for example:  " /w gm [Damage](~selected|weaponDamage); ". This currently works as intended but what I would like to have happen is to have that ability command button only show up to me (the GM). Is this possible using a macro? Or do I have to use the API. If so, could you provide me an example...and I know this will sound a little salty...that doesn't require me to go on yet another scavenger hunt across 7 years of information? ( Don't get me wrong, I greatly appreciated all who contribute here and hope to do the same once I get rolling...).
To my knowledge there is a couple of consideration you need to keep in mind when using macros. 1. it will depend on whom is executing the /w gm. if its a player, the player who executes see's it and the GM does.  No one else does. So in theory you and that player would see the macro. If it is just the GM whom sends it, and that macro/ability is not from a player controlled character, no one should see it but the GM. 2. It maybe possible to create an api to give players access to certain "menu's" but the gm will have only access to others. It will depend on your intended design goals how that could be accomplish. Keep in mind I'm not a scripter but my understanding believes this is possible to some degree. Other more experience scripters maybe able to provide you examples.
GiGs
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
There's an API script called blindroll which might do what you need.
@ Mark & GiGs - Thank you both for your response! GiGs, I had looked at blindroll and attempted to apply some of the logic in that script to my scenario but that did allow me to create a "blind" button as desired. I do believe that I could redesign my combat management system and use that script directly but was hoping to avoid that situation. One constraint that I have is that I wanted my players to still have the feeling that they are rolling their own dice/pressing their own buttons. Here is what I am trying to do from a combat management perspective: 1) Player/creature attacks creature/player using "Attack" macro, which allows the player/creature to select their attack weapon and also ascertains what attack number is occurring (i.e. first attack, second attack, offhand, etc). 2) That "Attack" macro creates the ability command button that allows me (the GM) to determine if the attack is a miss, normal hit, or critical hit and roll the associated damage (which is a blind roll in case I need to do some GM magic to alter that damage roll). I should also mention that I am playing D&D 3.5 so many of the recent scripts or even PowerCards are not usable. All of the above works currently. I basically wanted that command button to only appear to me for 2 reasons: 1) My players are a bit older, not "application savvy", and in many cases do not follow directions well...so they just start clicking buttons "because they are there"... and 2) I did not want a bunch of buttons cluttering up the chat pane. So my other thought was around being able to delete chat entries after reading/use but I see that there is a thread on that topic where everyone wants it but it has still not been implemented after 2 years.