Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

I cannot open macros created by a player that I promoted to GM in my game

So, a few weeks ago, one of my player decided to run a one-shot on a game system that I created, I usually am the only GM - although he already did a one-shot one year ago - and thus the only one to edit/write macros.  Note : this system uses a lot of macro, each character has at least 15-20 macros for each of their spells, we use scripts, etc... but these should't interfere. Last time I gave him the GM rights, he didn't have to create the macros, he had never done any of this and it was his first time GMing, so I wanted to let him enjoy the "creative process" alone.  This time however, we were both interested in him learning how to write macros, so we set out to do just that. Apparently as the game-creator, even if I give him GM privileges, I can still create and edit stuff which was nice to guide him around. However, when we were designing macros for a specific class and I realized that : He cannot open and edit macros that I created before he was a GM I cannot open and edit macros that he created as a GM We had to do some screensharing shenanigans to get it to work but still, is this normal? I am the creator of the game and there is stuff that I cannot access ? Maybe I am missing some permission rule or something. Btw this is all in the "Collection" tab, we had no issues with Character Sheet macros whatsoever. Thanks in advance for your answers, and thanks for your time.
GiGs
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
I think Macros are locked to your account. If you're a GM, you can share them - which lets people roll them, but they cannot edit them. If you want to get around this limitation and have macros you can both edit, it's a good idea to switch to using a Macros Character. In this case, you set up a new character, call it Macros, and use its Abilities section instead of macros. You can make the character Editable by All, so players can use its abilities, but dont add the players to the characters Visibility. That way they cant see the character in their Collection, and so cant actually access the character sheet. For other GMs, just add them in the Visibility action and they'll have access.
This is a great idea ! It requires some work around for me but well, thanks!

Edited 1592744681
GiGs
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Also, you can create universal macros to launch the abilities, so as far as the players are concerned, there is no change. You'll find a wealth of ideas like that in the Stupid Tricks thread.