Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Getting other user's input on custom changes to Community Contributed Sheet

Edited 1592937606
I really like the aesthetics of this sheet which is why I continue to use it. I have made some changes from the original sheet (updated it with Artificer levels, made some fields auto-calc, expanded options for spells points... etc.. and I was just curious other people who use this sheet (if you exist) what are some things that you have done that you feel has improved the sheet. My next goal is to have a button that is like a roll button, but will activate a sheet worker to update abilities that are long rest/short rest mechanics. Feel that should be somewhere on a digital character sheet and is a dramatic part of the game. (I already have API macros that do this, would like to perform this without API if possible). So look forward to anyone else suggestions on the matter. At some point I will get around to making a github account and posting the changes I've made. (not looking to publish this sheet, but I also like the concept of a "community sheet" that everyone adds on too :) ) As a unrelated side note. if there was a way to have a button on ANY character sheet that simply changed the sheet format while keeping the same html code/sheet attributes (user chosen .css O.o) I might abandon the community sheet if that is possible/on the horizon :) my HTML, ccs and javascript are rudimentary at best so if this isn't possible that is fine, just sheet dreaming. Edit: Sorry its 5th ed D&D Community Contributed Sheet (one that can be loaded by all players) I've loaded the sheet in a sandbox game and have made adjustments.
David
Sheet Author
What sheet are you talking about?
GiGs
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
I second david's question. Also: J.C said: As a unrelated side note. if there was a way to have a button on ANY character sheet that simply changed the sheet format while keeping the same html code/sheet attributes (user chosen .css O.o) I might abandon the community sheet if that is possible/on the horizon :) my HTML, ccs and javascript are rudimentary at best so if this isn't possible that is fine, just sheet dreaming. It's possible to create a button that will change the sheet format. But it can be a LOT of work, and lead to a lot of duplicated code. At the very least you'll have to edit a lot of a sheet's existing CSS. At worst, you'll also have to duplicate a lot of the html code, and set up the code to show or hide different elements depending on which format is in use.
I edited my original post.  It just occurred to me that other game systems, other than 5e dnd could be using "Community Contributed" Character sheet as their name :)
GiGs said: I second david's question. Also: J.C said: As a unrelated side note. if there was a way to have a button on ANY character sheet that simply changed the sheet format while keeping the same html code/sheet attributes (user chosen .css O.o) I might abandon the community sheet if that is possible/on the horizon :) my HTML, ccs and javascript are rudimentary at best so if this isn't possible that is fine, just sheet dreaming. It's possible to create a button that will change the sheet format. But it can be a LOT of work, and lead to a lot of duplicated code. At the very least you'll have to edit a lot of a sheet's existing CSS. At worst, you'll also have to duplicate a lot of the html code, and set up the code to show or hide different elements depending on which format is in use. So if I loaded the OGL and the Shaped sheet's codes and went through each and every sheet and created a "master attributes" for each attribute that the every sheet would look at for their value(s) that they were all pointing at and had a button that would switch between the aesthetics of each one that would work? and had each section under a "radio" button like mechanic where only one format is showing at a given time? Drools.
GiGs
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Ah, we are talking about two different things. The underlying data contained in a sheet (attribute values) are separate from the presentation of the sheet (html and css) You can change the look of a sheet without changing the attributes. You could create a style for the community sheet that looks like the shaped sheet, and vice-versa, without changing the attribute names and values.  You could also set up a sheet worker or script that had a masterlist of both attributes, so when you switch from the shaped to community, or vice-versa, the attributes could be transferred from one to the other. There'd be problems if each sheet has things that dont exist on the other sheet, so its not always posisble to match up the attributes. Both would require a lot of work, but they are each very different kinds of work.