Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

[Suggestion] Multimonitor support for

Dev Team, is there any way this could be possible? Currently all the popup windows/views are limited to the current browser window. It would be great if there was a way to drag these windows/views outside of the browser. This would allow the character sheet/journal to be on one monitor while the map is viewed on another. This would give easy interaction with the sheet (all those buttons for powers and such) rather than constantly opening/closing the character sheet. Currently the workout is to open a duplicate browser window for the campaign and keep the sheet open there, but this workaround provides it own issues.

Edited 1401478547
Bump +1 I would also enjoy having it all there and open.
You're going to run into serious browser limitations on this I think. The popups are all CSS driven, not actually sub-windows. Have you tried expanding the window to cover multiple monitors? It would basically give you a bigger map area, so then when part of the map is covered by handouts it isn't such a big deal.
you can double click the sheet and it minimizes to the tabletop, a good way to have a sheet up and ready and still be able to pull it out. Another option could be just to shift double click a token to open the sheet when you need to.
Lithl
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Logan P. said: You're going to run into serious browser limitations on this I think. This. All of Roll20 takes place in a single window; all of the dialogs are just that -- dialogs. They are not windows. On the other hand, they could potentially implement a "pop out" button, similar to the Google Plus chat dialogs, which opens a new window containing the chat when you click it. Chris N. said: Currently the workout is to open a duplicate browser window for the campaign and keep the sheet open there, but this workaround provides it own issues. What issues are those? I'm not aware of any issues with having multiple instances of the VTT open. Hell, I've had 6 instances of Roll20 open in three different windows across two screens before.
Logan P. said: You're going to run into serious browser limitations on this I think. The popups are all CSS driven, not actually sub-windows. Have you tried expanding the window to cover multiple monitors? It would basically give you a bigger map area, so then when part of the map is covered by handouts it isn't such a big deal. Actually, yes, I do this a lot. While my set up is a 32" HDTV on the left, and a 23" LCD on the right, they are both running in 1920x1080. Game grid tends to stay on the left and I keep info on the. I wish I could drag tokens "off-grid" to that area to use special objects. Is there anyway to use tokens as UI elements? Such as a spell book filled with macros for spells known, blah blah.

Edited 1401480192
You could do something with token actions maybe, but I doubt it would be clean.
Logan P. said: You're going to run into serious browser limitations on this I think. The popups are all CSS driven, not actually sub-windows. Have you tried expanding the window to cover multiple monitors? It would basically give you a bigger map area, so then when part of the map is covered by handouts it isn't such a big deal. I'm not sure why there would be such serious browser limitations. Perhaps for mobile devices? The ability to provide popout windows as Brian mentioned is not that uncommon and all modern browsers should support such an option. Even if a browser didn't support it, nothing is lost by having the option there. They would still have the current view. Running across multiple monitors is an option, but not very convenient. If all of the window portions were movable/arrangeable, then I would agree this would likely be a fine solution. Brian Said: What issues are those? I'm not aware of any issues with having multiple instances of the VTT open. Hell, I've had 6 instances of Roll20 open in three different windows across two screens before. I too often play with multiple instances. One monitor serves as my API reset if needed along with having multiple maps open. Here are a few that I could think of. If you have a good way to solve them I'm all ears as that would do me quite well :) Bandwidth to site increases unnecessarily, but perhaps this isn't really an issue. How would you handle using the voice/video functionality? I don't currently use it, but I'm not sure how that would work with 6 instances open. Every Time a chat message is received a notification noise is played when an instance is not in focus. The last one is more of an annoyance. I like the notification when I don't have the roll20 instance focused, but while i'm paying attention I would rather not have it play (just as it appears to work).
Michael P. said: Actually, yes, I do this a lot. While my set up is a 32" HDTV on the left, and a 23" LCD on the right, they are both running in 1920x1080. Game grid tends to stay on the left and I keep info on the. I wish I could drag tokens "off-grid" to that area to use special objects. Is there anyway to use tokens as UI elements? Such as a spell book filled with macros for spells known, blah blah. I've got a suggestion for you that I often use. When I create the map canvas, I make it a bit larger than the map (with a 3 square or more border around the map) I then make the background a different color (usually black). You can make the area of the map much bigger than the actually map if needed. On my campaign map for the area, I actually have a chart next to the map that shows travel times so the players can use it as reference. And when a token is killed I often drag it off the map rather than deleting it. Now you can put stuff over in that area and just use Fog of War to prevent anyone from seeing anything. If you don't want something to Snap-to-Grid, just hold ALT while you drag it.
Josiah B. said: you can double click the sheet and it minimizes to the tabletop, a good way to have a sheet up and ready and still be able to pull it out. Another option could be just to shift double click a token to open the sheet when you need to. That's awesome, thanks for the tip, I think I'll be using this quite a bit. The shift double click also works on macros which I often use, but I'm not sure it's quite the best solution, the minimize feature is quite neat though.
Lithl
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Chris N. said: How would you handle using the voice/video functionality? I don't currently use it, but I'm not sure how that would work with 6 instances open. Every Time a chat message is received a notification noise is played when an instance is not in focus. The last one is more of an annoyance. I like the notification when I don't have the roll20 instance focused, but while i'm paying attention I would rather not have it play (just as it appears to work). Set only one of the tabs to transmit/receive the video/voice. And you can turn off the chat beep, as well.
@Brian Interesting, I didn't realize the video/voice could be set per instance. The background chat beep can't be set per tab unfortunatly.
Chris N. said: Michael P. said: Actually, yes, I do this a lot. While my set up is a 32" HDTV on the left, and a 23" LCD on the right, they are both running in 1920x1080. Game grid tends to stay on the left and I keep info on the. I wish I could drag tokens "off-grid" to that area to use special objects. Is there anyway to use tokens as UI elements? Such as a spell book filled with macros for spells known, blah blah. I've got a suggestion for you that I often use. When I create the map canvas, I make it a bit larger than the map (with a 3 square or more border around the map) I then make the background a different color (usually black). You can make the area of the map much bigger than the actually map if needed. On my campaign map for the area, I actually have a chart next to the map that shows travel times so the players can use it as reference. And when a token is killed I often drag it off the map rather than deleting it. Now you can put stuff over in that area and just use Fog of War to prevent anyone from seeing anything. If you don't want something to Snap-to-Grid, just hold ALT while you drag it. Yes, this I know. But what I was talking about is more like having an element that stays on the screen. Like a macro button, only not a macro button. I guess the best way to do this for my purposes is to use that CSS wizardry and make a spell sheet on the character sheet that has casting macros. I just thought it would be nice to be able to things like a spell book, or a potion bottle on the screen you could click. Maybe we can bug Riley for icon support for macros and abilities. I think my players would much rather click a sword icon, then the boring off white button that says "basic-attacks."