Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

La Petite Mort

Hey all, I'm running a game and came up with a way to handle Death Saves and tracking things which seems to be working out so far. I thought it might be useful for someone else also. Also, "Deth" is intentionally misspelled, just to head-off the grammar geese. Key elements: Deth character token for each Player Character Token macro on the Deth token to report back the successes and failures When a character drops to zero HP, I've limited the MetaGaming by having the players whisper to me any rolls, but this actually puts the work on them to roll and update the token (more time for me to play God). I have a template Character I duplicate and rename for the Player Character like this: It doesn't need to be in proximity to the Player Character, but we've been putting them nearby just for ease of use. For our group, red is success and green is failure. The player rolls (digital or analog, their preference) and updates the appropriate bubble value. You can see in the screen shot the Token macro named "Status" for the Little Deth token. When clicked, it whispers to the DM and shows: The content of the macro is (not sure if the emojis will go through, but you'll get the idea): /w gm **@{selected|token_name}** status: 👍🏽= @{selected|bar3},👎🏽= @{selected|bar1} Things to make sure are set correctly on the token (then save as default):       The Advanced settings for Player Permissions make it so only the controlling player sees the bars. Other players have no idea what progress is going on for the Death Saves. Lastly, be sure to give control of the Deth character to each player and put it in their Journal. With a little practice, the players now can drag the character out, roll, update, and send the status. If you forget the current state you can see the bubbles or select and click the Token macro for a quick summary. I hope that makes sense, and is useful for someone. M
Mike deBoston
Compendium Curator
This is pretty interesting. Savage Worlds has a "bleeding out" state and having a token to track that might be fun. Thanks!
I'm still pretty new, so this is likely old-hat for some people. I didn't see anything similar when I was trying to figure out a simpler way to do Death Saves though. Good luck! M