Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Possible to send whisper and capture message sender?

I know it sounds like an odd question, but my group is messaging fiends, and I was thinking I might be able to make messaging back and forth a bit easier. They're using a Whisper macro named "WhisperPlayer": /w ?{Who|Amie|Barney|Charles|Debbie} &{template:default}  {{name=**Whisper:**}} {{=?{input text of whisper}}}{{[Whisper](~MacrosPCs|WhisperPlayer)}} This currently puts the message into a template and then tacks the call to "WhisperPlayer" at the end so they can just click to bring up the same macro. I'd like to pre-select with the sender's name if possible, just to simplify further. I keep coming across different ways to be included in whispers, or add myself to control sheets, but nothing about grabbing the sender. I strongly suspect it's not possible, but I'm asking just in case someone knows a trick. Thanks, M

Edited 1593915708
GiGs
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
To do this without the API is very clunky. The basic method is to create a separate sender macro for each player, and a separate reply macro for each player-player combination. The reply macros are simple in principle, but for the above you need 16 of them (well, 12, since you dont need replyAmieToAmie, for instance): So, imagine Barnie has sent a message to Amie. There's a reply macro button. he clicks that which launches this macro: /w Amie &{template:default}  {{name=**Whisper from Barnie**}} {{?{input text of whisper}=[Reply To Barnie](~MacrosPCs|WhisperAmieToBarnie)}} So he sends a message, and amie also gets a button labelled Reply to Barnie. That sends the following macro. /w Barnie &{template:default}  {{name=**Whisper from Amie**}} {{?{input text of whisper}=[Reply to Amie](~MacrosPCs|WhisperBarnieToAmie)}} and using those two macros, they can reply to each other pretty quickly and easily. The initial send macro is quite a bit more complicated, and one you need one per player. The following macro is the WhisperFromAmie macro, before html entities are inserted. You'd need one of these for each player.  /w ?{Who| Barnie,&{template:default}{{name=**Whisper from Amie**}}{{?{input text of whisper}=[Whisper](~MacrosPCs|WhisperBarnieToAmie)}}| Charles,&{template:default}{{name=**Whisper from Amie**}}{{?{input text of whisper}=[Whisper](~MacrosPCs|WhisperCharlesToAmie)}}| Debbie,&{template:default}{{name=**Whisper from Amie**}}{{?{input text of whisper}=[Whisper](~MacrosPCs|WhisperDebbieToAmie)}}} The above doesnt work as written, because you either need to insert html replacements as described here , or convert the above into a chat menu. The chat menu approach would use the already created 12 reply macros, which would look like this. The macro below is for Amie. You'd need to create another for each player with the correct buttons. /w Amie &{template:default} {{name=**Whisper To**}} {{[Barnie](~MacrosPCs|WhisperAmieToBarnie) [Charles](~MacrosPCs|WhisperAmieToCharles) [Debbie](~MacrosPCs|WhisperAmieToDebbie)}} If you don't like the chat menu approach, you can use the above macro and insert the required html entities. Restructuring the message so as little as possible is inside the query is best. That gets you something like this: !?{Who| Barnie,[Reply](~MacrosPCs|WhisperBarnieToAmie)| Charles,[Reply](~MacrosPCs|WhisperCharlesToAmie)| Debbie,[Reply](~MacrosPCs|WhisperDebbieToAmie)} /w Amie &{template:default} {{name=**Whisper from Amie**}} {{?{input text of whisper}=?{Who}}} The initial query is put at the start, preceded by an !, a little trick so it doesnt get printed to chat. It includes a html entity to replace the | symbol. That's a bit more exhaustive than I meant to write, but it was interesting to me at least.
Wow, GiGs, I really appreciate the explanation. You are correct, it's clunky. I think I'll hold off unless they really really push for it (don't tell them) Thanks! M
GiGs
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Hehe, I wont.
Oosh
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Communicating with other humans: always requires more effort than it first appears.