Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Checkbox doesn't toggle visibility of div

Edited 1593954930
Loki
Sheet Author
Hi, for my sheet I want to add an option for the players to add containers for their characters in case they need them to store equipment. The players can activate up to 5 extra containers. With checkboxes they can activate/deactivate them. Now I'm currently trying to add the CSS to the checkboxes to toggle the visiblity of the div, but it doesn't work. HTML: <div> <input type="checkbox" class="behaelter1" name="attr_behaelter1" value='1'><b>Behälter 1</b> <input type="checkbox" class="behaelter2" name="attr_behaelter2" value='1'><b>Behälter 2</b> <input type="checkbox" class="behaelter3" name="attr_behaelter3" value='1'><b>Behälter 3</b> <input type="checkbox" class="behaelter4" name="attr_behaelter4" value='1'><b>Behälter 4</b> <input type="checkbox" class="behaelter5" name="attr_behaelter5" value='1'><b>Behälter 5</b> </div> ... <div class="behaelter1"> .... </div> CSS: div.sheet-behaelter1 { display: none; } input.sheet-behaelter1:checked ~ div.sheet-behaelter1 { display: block; } I also tried to make the "path" of the input clearer with div + input.sheet-behaelter1:checked ~ div.sheet-behaelter1 { but that also didn't work. The div indeed gets the display:none but the click on the checkbox does nothing. What is the error here?
The checkbox that controls the hide/show area needs to be in the same container as the div its hiding/showing. Try: <div>    <input type="checkbox" class="behaelter1" name="attr_behaelter1" value='1'><b>Behälter 1</b>    <input type="checkbox" class="behaelter2" name="attr_behaelter2" value='1'><b>Behälter 2</b>    <input type="checkbox" class="behaelter3" name="attr_behaelter3" value='1'><b>Behälter 3</b>    <input type="checkbox" class="behaelter4" name="attr_behaelter4" value='1'><b>Behälter 4</b>    <input type="checkbox" class="behaelter5" name="attr_behaelter5" value='1'><b>Behälter 5</b> </div> ... <input type="checkbox" class="behaelter1 hidden" name="attr_behaelter1" value='1'> <div class="behaelter1"> .... </div> and adding the css: sheet-hidden {         display:none; }
Loki
Sheet Author
Works like a charm, thank you! :) Cheers!
I'd suggest simplifying your hidden input: <input type="hidden" name="attr_behaelter1">
Finderski
Pro
Sheet Author
Compendium Curator
Primal Zed said: I'd suggest simplifying your hidden input: <input type="hidden" name="attr_behaelter1"> Depends on your definition of simplify.  The HTML is simpler, for sure. You do still need a class unless you are always going to use the + instead of the ~ The CSS for the above would look like this: input[value="1"] + .sheet-hidden { display: none; } or .sheet-hidden[value="1"] ~ .sheet-hidden { display: none; } For my money, it's generally easier to use checkboxes so I don't have to remember the different values, etc.  I find it easier to just use: .sheet-hidden:checked ~ .sheet-hidden { display: none; } But there are definitely times the hidden input type is easier and more versatile. I'm using them rather extensively in a sheet right now, just not as much for CSS (though they are finding their way into that, too. I will also note, if the original form area used radio buttons instead of checkboxes, the hidden input field is a lot easier at that point...