Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Requested Script: Target

Hey folks! I don't know nothin' 'bout birthin' no babies writin' no script, so I'm asking someone to make one for me (if it's possible). Basically, I want a longer-lasting PING. I want the players to be able to quickly and easily select a point on the map, which remains readily visible until they or the GM erase(s) it. The current PING is good but doesn't last very long. Drawing tools... a dot is too small, circle and square aren't exact enough, and freehand drawings are ugly. I could create a token in character sheets but that's just one more bit of clutter in a system already overloaded. I can't think of any other ways to do this, besides scripting. A simple token, ideally translucent and/or behind everything else (on the 'ground'), sized and colored to be readily visible at various zoom distances, that is centered on the map at the point at which the user clicks. Something like a gunsight, or concentric circles, or anything along those lines to mark a specific point, would be perfect. Examples: Something like this: Or this: Or this: Or even this: Is this doable? Thanks! -Phnord
Lithl
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
The API cannot detect mouse clicks, but you could create a command to place a graphic at a target token's location, or have a graphic constantly rotating (like your last example), which you could move around and pop to the GM layer.
Can you... hmm. Specify a point NEAR a token's location? Otherwise it has to pop up underneath someone, which causes a little confusion when they then need to move it elsewhere. What about a 'default' location, like the upper-left corner of the map, or offset from there a few 'grid's? The rotation would be nice but it's not needed, just a .gif I found. The idea was to make its placement semi-permanent, but as effortless as possible. Seems like making a token, as a journal entry, is the way to go. Just make it controllable to everyone, drag it onto the map as needed. Thanks. -Phnord