Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

[HELP] PC with Darkvision, who also (currently) glows

Hi! So, I've been fiddling around for hours yesterday, and a fair bit today (when I wasn't taking a break from that, to fiddle with DL instead). So, there is a player in my group who was in a solo mission in a magical wizard puzzle place, and was afflicted by a couple of magical effects (her characters is WAY to curious about EVERYTHING... xD).. So I wanted to simulate some of those effects in Roll20. The easy one is simply just her character's skin tone changing color from the 7 rainbow colors, and on a roll of 8 it will basically pulse/wave around all of them. And... with the exception of the last rainbow one, I can simulate that color change with the Tint Token option, so that was easy (and she liked that! :) But then we have the other effect which her character will have for 2 in-game weeks. Basically, her character literally glows golden for 5 ft, which does give her some bonuses to spot things, but also penalties in not BEING spotted . I've been trying to simulate that in Roll20, and my first thought went to the obvious choice. Emits Light , and that looked great! ...But wait, she has Darkvision... How do I do that?I fix Darkvision? First I tried some stuff myself, but the closest I found was adding 60 feet to Advanced FoW "Reveal Distance" for the token, but... that just reveals the fog, no tokens or anything... so that kinda just gave her... Dark-FoW-NonVision... xD So I searched the forums and Googled around, and the ONLY way I found people doing Darkvision seemed to be with the Emits Light setting. Oh bummer, there goes my glow! (60 ft Darkvision is more important than a 4 ft glow after all). I did like the Darkvision settings I fixed thou, and will add my method in superscript below so it doesn't take too much focus from the Glow question below that. :) (If we had the possibility to just change font size, or even that nifty < Spoiler tag >, that would have been even better ofc :P) I placed 5 Goblin tokens on the map, at 60, 65, 70, 75 and 80 feet away from her, in a line. Then changed the Light Radius and Start of Dim until she could see the first one, but not the other 4, and when it was also pretty dark. I do agree that it might be a bit darker than what's considered "Dim light", but eh... Darkvision is supposed to be grayscale, so I opted for darker instead of more colorful, and.. as a DM I'll tell her what she sees in case the player does not. :P For her 60 feet Darkvision I ended up with 65 Light Radius and -100 Start of Dim. (how the heck do I manipulate images? I wanted to simply resize the In-Post image, but clicking it just gives me a dark-gray box that is... eh... like... partially outside the image, and no size controls and stuff.... Will edit so this is smaller once I figure that out, do to that "less focus" part,, and it's clickable to get bigger anyway... this Post Writing system is really... weird and wonky, but you already know that, I've seen a lot of posts about that already. XD One might wonder why they didn't just opt for the well used and at least a lot less buggy BBCode standard. :P - ---- Back to that golden glow! ----- I still wanted to figure out how to apply the glow effect, and auras didn't do it for me, because they do not actually emit light.. which I want. Even more so since I got Pro yesterday and started to play with Dynamic Lightning (the legacy one, I've seen the posts and know that UDL is still pretty much beta wip, and that UDL is currently recommended in non-actual-game Test games instead) . So... in the end, I realized by best choice was to make a separate token, add Emits Light settings to that one (radius 4, start dim at 1, looked good, i just need to replace the token image with a transparent one, but that's easy, i just need to actually do it :P). But now, after a lot of "story telling"... here is my question. (Sorry for that backstory thing first XD). She's not "wearing" or "carrying" some thing that's glowing. SHE is glowing... So I need the token to be literally stuck to her token, and move with her when she moves her token. Selecting both and moving then works... kinda... but she (and I) will forget to do that repeatedly (we both have ADHD as well which makes it harder to remember), and sure that's a "minor issue, just move the token back to her"... for you.. but for me it really breaks the immersion of HER glowing. So.... how would I go about doing that? I installed a bit too many API's yesterday after fixing Pro, and I really haven't learned them yet.. Especially since some of them don't really have any information about how they work, and many of those that DO have... gives a lot of info on WHAT it can do, and what some of the strings to add to their commands do,, but doesn't always describe HOW and WHERE to add the strings, and if they do, they also often fail to mention where and how to add the values to those strings, so it's been a lof of restarting the API sandbox because of errors when I've been blindy having to try some syntaxes.... which means I haven't checked all the API's I've installed yet. One example that MIGHT help me with this glow token, I think, might me Token Mod, but... I haven't looked into it yet and have no idea how it would work. Bump may also work, maybe? I did watch Nick O's video on how to use Bump for invisibility, and that one did have some kind of system where he moves 1 token and the other one automatically follows it. I also found a post yesterday (but haven't installed it yet) called Carrying Tokens v2 which I will look into more, I just had so many things spinning around my head yesterday so I couldn't take anything more in at that moment. But yeah, how would you go about doing this? Just by the name I guess CT v2 might be the best pick, but if you have better options let me know, while I'll go right now and start reading the post about that script! :P I also want to make sure that only the DM can attach/detach the glow token, just to make sure there are no accidents happening there. So.. yeah, I'm asking for ideas and suggestions here, but I will keep looking and reading script posts while waiting for answers here. I won't just write this post and then wait for answers without researching myself. :) I can also add non-one-click scripts ofc. I don't -understand- coding myself, but I do tinker and tweak macros and stuff now and then even if I have no idea how it works... learning by doing.. kind of. x) But yeah... if you have suggestions, assume that I know NOTHING about api, scripts, programming and stuff, at all! Because.. that's basically the truth. :P And I do want to learn, so in addition to answers, I would be even happier if it also contained an explanation of how it works and so on! :) Thanks everyone! (And sorry for yet another very long post. I know I could say "That's just how my brain works", because.. it's true, but... I don't want to use it as an excuse, only an explanation, and .. I do work on trying to write shorter, get to the point faster without missing crucial info, derailing less often, and most of all... trying to write in a way where it doesn't get misunderstood. So... if anything I write sounds weird, wrong, stupid, or bonkers, just let me know. I can sometimes write a bit clumsy, so if that happens it's un-intentional, but do let me know so I can correct myself! ^^)
Gawd this writing things is weird... just adding those picture was...... weird... Like... when writing the post I was struggling a lot with that one, and the first line of the "how the heck" section was to the right of the image instead of below, and clicking at the start of the text and pressing enter, to simply have that line jump down below.... yeah... it might look in this post like that worked, but... for me... if didn't move the text at all, instead it added a a second copy of that image instead below that one.... what? xD And scaling it was literally impossible...xD I just crossed my fingers and clicked Post,, and fortunately it looks a bit better now when it's posted,, but yeah no, this text editor is for sure no WYSIWYG editor. xD
Brian C.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Compendium Curator
You currently cannot have light that is visible to other players (the glow) and not visible to other players (the darkvision). I think the best way to do this would be to use the "Carry" API (don't remember the real name) to carry a glow token under the PC. The API links tokens together so that one moves with the other (useful for torches, mounts, and the like).
Yes, I tried to write that, but reading your response I guess I wasn't very clear on that. (wouldn't be the first time xD). That's why I created that token in the picture. So her own token can have the Darkvision light, which is set to All Players See Light: Off (gonna call that APSL from now, because long), and then the glowy token has APSL set to On so they can see HER glow, but not her darkvision. :3 I just need to make sure that token stays with her. But I didn't know about the Carry API, so I will totally take a look at that one compare it to Carrying Tokens v2! (which I still haven't started reading because I got distracted... xD) Thanks for the tip! :)
Oh, if you have a link to a forum post of that, that would be amazing! <3 Apparently the Search has broken down and just gives me errors now when I'm trying to search for -anything- on the forums. xD Seems to happen everytime I'm about to do something.. Like... I got Pro yesterday, but I was GOING to get Pro two days ago, but that was JUST when their subscription page broke for a couple of hours XD Brian C. said:
Brian C.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Compendium Curator
Go to your game's API page (Settings->API) and add the "Carry Tokens" script.
Ah, it WAS the Carry Tokens... When you wrote Carry I thought that Carry was one API, and Carry Tokens was another one. :) (did I mention how new I am to this ^^) Thanks for the clarification! :) Brian C. said: Go to your game's API page (Settings->API) and add the "Carry Tokens" script.