Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

[Suggestion] Stickied API Master-List Post

Hi again! Now when I have started to dig into API's, I've noticed that many of them have lacking information in the One-Click installer screen, with most info being either in their forum posts, or their githubs. But, there are SO many of them, and if we look outside One-Click there are even more. So... I thought, wouldn't it be nice to have a stickied post up here, where we can have a list of the API's we know of, with a link to their forum-post and to their github? Like, doesn't need much description, that would be a lot of work, just a categorized list of API scripts, and a link to where we can find info about them. It would not only help us finding that specific forum post faster, it would also work as a good post to see WHAT scripts we have out there. Plus, a more situational use I just noticed, is that I was looking for a post for a script, but with the typical perfect timing of roll20, the forum Search seems to have crashed (at least for me), so I can't search anything on the forums right now. xD What do you think of that idea? I think the "layout" could be very simple, maybe even similar to that "Stupid Tricks" thread. Maybe something like this: Name of Script Link to forumpost (if any) Link to github (if any) Name of Script Link to forumpost (if any) Link to github (if any) Etc etc etc I would offer to fix this list myself, but I basically got active here a few dags ago, and got Pro for the first time yesterday, so I'm pretty sure many others here would do a MUCH better job at keeping that list somewhat fairly up to date instead of me. :P Anyway, just wanted to suggest it at least since I think it would help a lot of people, not just myself. :) (But I have no idea how big/small the scope of the task would be, so I understand if people doesn't want to ofc!)
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
We used to have something like that, but there are some problems.  The person who makes the post is the only one that can edit it, so the onus is on one person to keep it up to date.  There's also not an easy way to clean out the clutter people post on it (commentary, off topic posts, redundant posts). We also tried having wiki listings for it.  That had the benefit of anyone being able to edit/maintain it.  I think that's probably a better route to go.
Ah, that's true. And yeah I guess there are pros and cons to both of them. I've heard that many things on the wiki kinda gets abandoned, like started on, and then just not updated, which I think was the reason keith decided not to make a wiki page for that Stupid Tricks thread. But I also see the issue with the forum post only having one person able to edit it. Hmm.. *rubbing that squishy brain thingy* ... This might be just as tricky to manage, but... what about a stickied forumpost, that contains a Google Spreadsheet, that people can edit? ...hmm, pretty sure there are a bunch of cons to that as well thou... just trying to brainstorm here. :P
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
yeah, I don't think there is a perfect solution available.  The wiki is the least bad option, but I don't think individual pages for scripts (what we did last time) is the right way to go.  A single listing page with links to forum posts, github, etc, like what you mentioned above, then a forum post (possibly stickied) that links to it.
Hey, that might be a great idea actually. Like... people do check the forums, but kinda forget about the wiki. But as you said, if the Forum post links to the list.... in the wiki, then people WILL check the forum post, and thus find the wiki, aaand then hopefully people can help keeping it updated (and cleaning up potential formatting mess and stuff). Great tweak of the idea! :)
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
Now we just need to put it into practice..  =D
Yup, who ever wants to do that. I am way to new to point fingers suggesting people :P, and also waaay to new (Pro since yesterday after all) to even know what to add. x)