Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Use a macro for a critical hit table

I have a D% critical table (well, 4 of them actually, for hits, fails, spells etc) that we would like to use in our games. I know that rollable tables are the way to go with these BUT I am not currently the DM, and our current DM, whilst he uses Roll20 out of necessity (COVID and all that!), is not all that familiar or comfortable with using it, so I can guarantee he wont know how/want to implement 4 rollable tables! I also know that using the API would be an option, but we are not fully subscribed members of Roll20, since we are only using it during lockdown. Yes, I suspect many people will say something along the lines of "if you aren't prepared to pay for a subscription, then it's your fault you cannot do what you want", which is fair enough, but I am just asking if the following is possible.... I would like to implement the crit tables in a way that all the players and the DM can easily use them, but I will need to be the one to actually write the table/macro since I am the only one familiar (and interested) enough to write it in Roll20. I'd love to be able to create the rollable tables(s) and send them to my DM to include in the game so we can all use them. But I don't think I can cut-and-paste a rollable table in any way. I would happily create a macro that implements a crit hit roll (i.e. the macro rolls a d% then writes out some flavour text and a mechanic text based on the result). I could then cut the text from that macro and instruct my DM on how to paste it into a new macro and make it player accessible. But I don't know how to write a macro that will roll a D% and output text based on the result, especially where the results are a range of numbers. Any ideas?

Edited 1595156902
Oosh
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Which game/sheet are you using? The easiest way would be to ask the GM to promote you to GM (similar powers to the creator of the game) temporarily while you add in the Rollable Tables, then demote you to Player when you're done. If they're unwilling to do that for whatever reason, you could go into your own game, and do this (use a better template if available): &amp;{template:default} {{name=Critical Effect}} {{ your crit flavour text here }} send that to chat, then screengrab it and save it as CritEffect1.png Repeat with all your crit effects. Let's say you have 25, so we have CritEffect1.png to CritEffect25.png. Upload these to an image host which has embed links. Let's call it imagehost.com. Now you create the attack macros to use in game, and in the critical damage output you put this: [[ [img](<a href="https://imagehost.com/CritEffect[[" rel="nofollow">https://imagehost.com/CritEffect[[</a> 1d25 ]].png) That will give you a random number from 1 to 25 appended to your filename and display that image. As long as the image host hasn't done any resizing, it should look pretty much like it's come from a template, since that's where the screengrab was from. Pretty convoluted, but it's an option if the GM is being difficult about sharing power :)
Both great answers, thanks Oosh. In fact, after posting my original request I wondered if promoting to GM was an option in Roll20 and discovered it was! Thanks for confirming it is a possible solution. Definitely could be an option - I'll talk to my GM. Really appreciate the detail on your second option - I can definitely check that out. We're playing D&amp;D 5e using the Roll20 5e chr sheets (though actually our chr sheets are held in DnDBeyond, and we use the Beyond20 app for our rolls to link the two)
Oosh
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Ah ok cool - sing out if you need a hand with any 5e macros or templates. Hopefully the GM is happy to let you do your thing.... it's much easier than option 2 :)