Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Really extended wait times

Is there something I need to know that I maybe missed? Over the last week, there is a general trend of Roll20 to take 5 minutes PLUS to load on mine and my players screens on both Chrome and Firefox. If there is a server outage or other thing, I would like to know. Let me know so I can pass that on to my less-than-impressed players.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Some things to look for: 1. Is this a peak time (i.e. weekend evenings)? Load times can increase then. 2. Is the game very large? It can be deceptively large. Primary culprits are many, many characters and maps. No hard rules of thumb here, but <200 characters (npcs), and <25 maps is a good range to shoot for. Also, on PCs, try to keep the number of spells actually on the sheet to a minimum. 3. Is the page they are opening up on very complex? Very large maps with complex dynamic lighting can make startup difficult. Try bringing them onto a simpler landing page, and the rest of the campaign can load in the background. 4. Similarly, is the map they are trying to come up on extremely large or have many elements? These pages in the wiki have good optimization advice. Optimizing Roll20's Performance Best Practices for Files
1 One is 4-7pm Wednesday nights. One is Friday 6-10 so possibly that one has an excuse. Saturday afternoon is one of my games and yes, while that is a weekend, it is not an evening/night so the flow is "lower". So the quality portion of what I am understanding from this dialogue is that Roll20 still can't handle the weekend flow. If I have to wait overtly long periods, I will just do the game on Discord with Theatre of the mind and quit wasting my player's time, RAM, dataplan, and energy. 2. I'm not that complex. i'm not that cool. I'm not even using PC sheets. If I am, then I paid Roll20 for the privilege by buying a module with Dynamic Subscriber lighting. The disclaimer that it would 10x my wait time was nowhere on my purchase rules and regulations. 3. My landing page is a single graphic in each that takes 5Plus minutes to load. It is a pre-built module in all three cases. So to be honest, 2 and 3 sound like Roll20 designer problems in all cases. 4. I'm adding 4 onto my previous statement about 2 and 3. I am going to read the links for a different purpose later, but as of now, i will assume the the designers of the prebuilt modules know all those tips and tricks as and thus all those tips and tricks have probably already been implemented to make my game run smoother. I wasn't upset about the idea that Roll20 is popular. i understood that there are lots of people on, but my game, my bit of ram, should be mine to use. I shouldn't have to wait 5 minutes in any way possible for graphic image and 6 lousy tokens. No way, no how, not at all. Not when the VTT has been open since at least 2013 when I joined and it was rough. I really wasn't mad until it was implied that it was my fault for wanting to play on discord during times they are most likely to be free. My disappointment was compounded when all the answers kept referring back to the fact I spent money to have these problems. If this was a car, I have had Avernus for less than a year to have this problem. Where would that warranty be? I reached real "anger" status when the case was leaned upon that even the base landing page seemed to be too hard for Roll20 to keep up with and that just has a map and 7 tokens at the largest on it with no stats attached. I guess i will need to start looking elsewhere. It is clear Roll20 is currently getting too big to handle the upflow. That might change later, and you never know. Maybe a startup will have no people on it yet so I can use their server space. I know how to put a map together so the module purposes were admitted laziness.....and yeah, Roll20 has my money, but that is all inconsequential at this point. I wasn't curious to wander until now.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
I think you are drawing conclusions from my suggestions, which were merely common causes of slow behavior, things to check. I personally have a game that I run on Saturday Nights, that usually is reasonably complex that does not have those loading time issues. There's no one single reason that something like this could happen, but only by methodically eliminating possibilities can we attack a problem with any hope of success. I could list a half dozen more possibilities without much effort. You (or a number of your players) could be connecting from countries with national firewalls, or using a VPN, or using a third party extension that is affecting performance. You could be (for all I know) someone who doesn't understand that 15MB map is unusually large (or you could understand even better than I--just saying I can only offer suggestions, and any one of them might be spot on or completely wrong). You might have loaded a campaign such as Waterdeep Dragonheist and ignored the instructions not to load all four seasons as the addons. Your campaign could even have become corrupted somehow, requiring either dev intervention, or just re-creation or duplication. You are a pro user, it's not too tough to rebuild a campaign from scratch--if that's the issue. What I'm saying is, if I suggest that, say, the time of day might be an issue, don't jump to the conclusion that Roll20 can't handle the load at certain times of day. While this was true in the early days of Quarantine, I have not (personally) had those particular problems for some time, not to that degree. I think the very best procedure is to create a game from scratch, using the same module you have already based your existing game on, and see if you have the same issues. If that doesn't help, I'd suggest going through the steps I'll post below and submitting the console log in a  Help Center Request . That log should give the devs the info they need to see what exactly is the issue. A load time of five minutes is very unusual. Could you please carefully work through these steps of our guide to  Solving Technical Issues ? Step 1: Make sure to use the right browser Please check if these issues persist when using both Chrome  and  Firefox. Step 2: Ensure that there are no extensions/addons interfering with Roll20 Please disable  all  add-ons/extensions. Step 3: Clear your cache If none of the above succeeds, please thoroughly work through  Step 4 .  (Don't forget the complete Console Log!) Thank you!