Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Donating to the group's kitty

Here's an odd one for you.  Feel free to skip to the TLDR at the bottom. I've been playing with the same group of players for about 5 years now - ever since I moved to the States, in fact.  At that point they'd already been playing for 20 years, as they'd known each other since high-school.  In order to afford books, maps, dice and other assorted supplies the group had a kitty.  Every week, before we played, everyone put a dollar into the kitty.   So far so what. A couple of years ago, one of us moved from New York to Florida.  We moved to Roll 20 and everything went swimmingly, except of course we had one less person paying into the kitty.  Well, that and I started hosting, because he wasn't in town any more and while NYC has pretty good public transport, commuting from NYC to Florida once a week would probably kill us. Then a few months ago my wife and I moved out of state.  As I was the only one in the group able to host, we moved to be entirely digital.  And it's worked out great.  Except for the kitty. Well, everything being digital is simple enough.  We buy tile sets and pdfs instead of maps and books.  But it's time for us to start collecting for the kitty again.  We figured paypal to be the simplest solution, with a google docs spreadsheet to keep track of how much is in the kitty and who paid when.  TLDR: If I generate a donate button in paypal and place it on the title page of my campaign, is there a way to have it actually behave as a donation button?  Can a token element link to html?  Or is a handout the best way to handle this? I realize that there are really good reasons to NOT allow money transfers through roll20.  But is it possible? (edited because bad grammar is bad)
Is "Kitty" the equivalent of "piggy bank" in other parts of the world? You write kitty all over the message with a kind of casual expectation that readers know what you're referring to, but it took me a bit of reading to understand you meant a money jar and not funding for a pet. For anyone who was similarly confused by the huge backstory for a money jar, the entire summary of the OP is: Would it be possible to have a group donation button in the web UI that allows players to donate to the game session they're playing?
(Kitties?) You can have your players chip into a GM subscription here:&nbsp; <a href="https://app.roll20.net/gift" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/gift</a> There is no planned support for exterior fund raising.
Sorry - the Mary Poppins thing coming through. &nbsp;yes, a kitty is a group pot. &nbsp;Every week, we ante up a dollar for the pot. &nbsp;I use the word freely because everyone else in my group (and I'm the only non-Us citizen in said group) had been using the word prior to my arrival, so I assumed it was a known phrase in the US. (Better?) Thanks for the reply, Nolan. &nbsp;Makes sense, just thought I'd check
Konrad J.
Pro
API Scripter
Yann said: Sorry - the Mary Poppins thing coming through. &nbsp;yes, a kitty is a group pot. &nbsp;Every week, we ante up a dollar for the pot. &nbsp;I use the word freely because everyone else in my group (and I'm the only non-Us citizen in said group) had been using the word prior to my arrival, so I assumed it was a known phrase in the US. (Better?) Thanks for the reply, Nolan. &nbsp;Makes sense, just thought I'd check Its a very common expression I've always heard. &nbsp;Its even in the dictionary.... KITTY &nbsp;noun: a pool or fund of money. 1887, money pooled by players in a card game to defray expenses, probably formed from English ‘kit’ a container or collection of necessary supplies (1833)&nbsp; KITTY &nbsp;noun [1815-25; ‘kit’ + ‘-y’]: 1) a pool or reserve of money, often collected form a number of persons or sources and designated for a particular purpose specified by the contributors. 2) ‘Cards’: (a) a pool into which players in a game put a certain amount of their winning for some special purpose, as to pay for refreshments. (b) the pot, or special pot, for the collection of forfeits or payments from certain high hands.&nbsp; KIT &nbsp;noun [1325–75; ME ‘kyt,’ ‘ kitt’ from Middle Dutch ‘kitte’ jug, tankard]: a wooden tub, pail, etc., usually circular.&nbsp;