Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Building Meaningful NPCs - Relationship Tracker

Hey gang! I am looking for any suggestions on a good universal system that DMs use on tracking relationships with NPCs. Basically, my players have a good circle of NPCs that they have encountered up to this point and I'd like to start incorporating more nuances other than just "friendly." So I working on system I could make on a scale from -20 (Reviled) to +20 (Consummate Love), 0 being blasé. Players would be awarded or deducted points based on their action in game on a (-10) ----(-5)----0----(+5)---- (+10) scale. Meaning being docked -10 points for ULTIMATE BETRAYAL or +10 for the ULTIMATE SACRIFICE or something to that effect. Yeah, the skeleton seems solid, but their are a couple distractors that will require a bit more fleshing out. Such as: A) I'll have to track each characters relationship with each individual NPC , not generally a problem though because IMO a healthy range of 10 VINPC (very important NPCs) is what i shoot for. B) the point system will have to be skewed one way or another as they get close to polar ends on the relationship scale. I mean Gadra the Elf is not going to be able to murderize all the Boars in Elwynn forest to make Tom the huntmaster fall in love with her, even if she is awarded a + point on the scale when she completes a small quest for Tom. However it has some merits and a partial system is better than none at this point BUT before I start fleshing this out even more - Does anyone have a successful system they use? Or have some thoughts on fleshing this skeleton out.
This thread is off-topic for our site. We only permit discussion that is specific to Roll20 (which you can read about in our Code of Conduct ). Since this is a general RPG question, you'd be better served posting it on a general RPG site, like reddit.com/r/rpg.