Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Bug Report - NPC_AC

I just dropped 2 Hell Hounds into my map and their AC is mis reported as lower than it is. I amended the token to use NPC_AC and it worked. I assume the entry in the MM needs optimising. Wanted to let you know. 
Andreas J.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Translator
Roll20 have started to transition bug reports to be done through their web form . I submitted on your behalf the report on this through the web form. To quote Roll20 directly : Ashton(Roll20 Team) says: Hi folks, Roll20 is transitioning away from the community forums for bug reports on licensed content. For all future bug reports on licensed content, please report them through the following  web form .
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Hellhounds are NPCs and should be using npc_ac, not ac on tokens. This is not a bug but the way the sheet works. Many MM creatures have an arbitrary AC rather than a figured AC (like player characters) so they can't use a formula-generated attribute, but a static one. Accordingly, PC and NPC tokens need to follow different rules for token setup. The standard practice is to set up token defaults to work with NPC attributes, since they vastly outnumber PCs. Unless I am misunderstanding and Hellhounds have an incorrect npc_ac listed?
Andreas J.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Translator
are you telling me I wasted time reporting this due to an misunderstanding...? *sigh*
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Maybe, we haven't heard back from Colin. :)
Oosh
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Hell Hounds are dropping with 15AC from my Compendium, which matches their npc_ac. Do you have bar2 linked to @{ac} as a default token setting in your game, perhaps?
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
I think the confusion is that the attribute is npc_ac, but is labeled as Armor Class in the statblock display, which is correct, of course.
Thanks for coming back to me and submitting it as a bug.  For clarity as I have been imprecise.  When you drop a Hell Hound onto a Roll20 map , the token appear with fields predefined and by problem is with Bar2. I use it for AC or NPC_AC and to date have reliably found that the number it shows is representative of AC. I believe this to be accepted "industry standard".  In the case of the HH , this number : 11  is not representative of anything I can see as an attribute for the HH.  It's natural armor / NPC_AC is 15 and I see nothing that is 11.  My assumption is that the field has been arbitrarily filled in , when the creature was added to the MM and so i see this as a bug to be corrected - either by clearing the field, adding the actual value 15 as a free text option, or - my preference, adding NPC_AC to the Bar2. 

Edited 1598190929
Oosh
Sheet Author
API Scripter
If you have Bar2 automatically filled with the Attribute @{ac}, then a Hell Hound will have 11, yes. This is because AC is calculated - generally 10 + DEX, which for the Hell Hound gives 11. Even though NPCs use @{npc_ac}, and not @{ac}, they still have the calculated @{ac} Attribute on their character sheet - you can find it on the Attributes & Abilties tab. You're right that @{ac} is the incorrect Attribute to be using for an NPC, and linking Bar2 to @{npc_ac} will give you the correct AC for an NPC. However this is not a bug - the game is just doing what it's told and assigning Bar2 to the Attribute @{ac}. Unfortunately it has no way of discerning between player and NPC tokens. You can fix the AC problem by changing your default token settings (accessed from the launch page, not from inside the game) and linking Bar2 to @{npc_ac} by default. New NPC tokens dragged onto the tabletop should now have Bar2 linked to @{npc_ac} by  default, giving you the correct value. This does mean that player tokens will now have the wrong Attribute linked by default - however you should only have a few of those to adjust back to @{ac}, significantly less work than changing every NPC in a campaign. Just make sure you re-save the default token on any character sheet after you make changes to the token, otherwise they won't stick for any future tokens you drag onto the table.
Thank you Oosh. I wasnt aware that bar2 defaults to @{ac}  or that I can default it in the game options. Appreciate the advice. 
Ive made the amendments you recommend but when I drop in a new hell hound from the MM, it stays unassigned to npc_ac - what am I doing wrong?  Showing I do not have the HH in my game files :  And showing where I am getting Hell Hound from : 

Edited 1598201930
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Regarding changing the defaults: Make sure you have used the "Apply Defaults" button in-game (near the bottom of the settings tab). It may take a while to finish on large games, there's a very narrow, easy-to-miss progress bar. This will take care of everything but saved default tokens. I.e. tokens in play should have been changed. Default tokens must be re-saved with the new settings (see Oosh's last sentence). You can drag a new one to the table top and change it or use one already in play that was changed by the Apply Defaults button. Save that one as the new default token for the sheet. See last point, though. If you drag in a fresh copy from the MM, it will not overwrite the one already in game; it will be the same as if you dragged in one already from your journal. This is to protect you from accidentally overwriting any customization you may have done. Depending on your set up, it may be easier just to delete any monsters in your journal you want to "fix", and drag in a new MM copy. With no existing creature to prevent an overwrite, Roll20 will just add a brand new Hell Hound to your journal with your new, preferred, settings.