Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Line of sight and sensor radius

So I am running a game of Lancer which is mech combat and each mech in the game has a sensor radius as well as their basic line of sight. I want the players to be able to see everything in their sensor radius, even through walls, not outside of that radius if their line of sight is blocked. Is there a way to do this using advanced lighting and advanced fog of war?
Brian C.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Compendium Curator
Not out of the box at this point in time, Dynamic Lighting lines are all or nothing A workaround may be to add a second character sheet for pings on the sensor. This character sheet would have a nominal sight setting, just enough to cover a mech (so Emits Light 5/blank or 10/blank). When a token representing something the sensor would see is on the other side of a wall, but within sensor range, you can drop that player's sensor token from its linked character sheet onto the This would allow them to see just the object (such as an enemy mech) but would not reveal much of anything else on the other side of the wall. You could further refine this by using the Carry API script to have the other token move the sensor token for you, and you could set up a series of macros that would present a drop down of the sensor token character sheets and then automatically add the sensor token to the selected mech token on the VTT. When a mech moves out of sensor range, you just delete the sensor token.

Edited 1598996407
David M.
Pro
API Scripter
Not a complete solution for you, but I just released a !radar script that can at least give direction and distance to tokens through walls. Check it out here: <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/9137492/script-radar-an-animated-token-sensor-slash-tremorsense-slash-blindsense-slash-divine-sense-etc-solution-with-optional-dynamic-lighting-interaction/?pageforid=9137492#post-9137492" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/9137492/script-radar-an-animated-token-sensor-slash-tremorsense-slash-blindsense-slash-divine-sense-etc-solution-with-optional-dynamic-lighting-interaction/?pageforid=9137492#post-9137492</a> You can run the !radar command with the --LoS command omitted or set to "no" to ignore walls on the DL layer. Won't grant sight through the walls, but at least would give an indication to your players of numbers and location. It spawns invisible default tokens with colored auras at the target token locations from a "RadarPing" character. I wonder if you set the token property to "has sight" if it&nbsp;would work for you, as the script dynamically assigns control of the ping tokens to the player calling the script. This could potentially grant momentary "vision" through walls.The only thing is if there is plenty of light behind the wall, then the token would probably see as far as the external light would allow, which is probably more than you wanted.Anyway, I'd be interested to see if it works for you.&nbsp; EDIT -- OK, I just tried it and giving the RadarPing token sight and having it emit light 1ft / 0ft (for LDL) works! Of course, the caveat for external light sources also still holds, so there's that. If you didn't have any light in the buildings, though, I think it's a pretty nifty solution! I'll add a --HasSight command to a future revision.&nbsp;
That's really neat David! I'm going to have to learn how to use macro's now XD