Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Copying & cropping maps from added module

I've bought a module to add to my campaign, but the maps are large, and at 35 pixel per unit resolution.  For various reasons I need them at the default 70 pixel per unit res.  So I copy the map to a new page, and change the resolution, but this makes it unwieldy and very slow to load, and it won't load on some player's lower spec machines.  The answer is to crop it. This is sort of achievable just by making the page smaller, and dragging the map so that only the right part of it shows (actually doing this on several pages, each with a different part of the map).  However, it still seems to take an age to load - I assume because it is still loading the full-size graphic in the background. The map is a bought asset from the Marketplace, and I can't see any way to cut and paste it into an external editor to cut it up into smaller chunks/crop it (for understandable commercial reasons, protecting copyright & revenue streams...). So, is there any way of cropping the map in Roll20?
Brian C.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Compendium Curator
You can select the map, press the "Z" key to show it zoomed to fit the window, and right-click to copy or save it. Then you can load it into a the GIMP or image editing software of your choice to crop down to a part of the map. Once you have your maps done, you can upload them again.

Edited 1598514389
deleted comment - Brian has a better way then my ghetto way
Brian C.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Compendium Curator
Nover C. said: deleted comment - Brian has a better way then my ghetto way Yeah, well, I have to have something that I am good at since I didn't make a completely automated API demonstration game. :) <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/9117273/to-non-pro-subscribers-who-are-curious-about-api-features-i-made-a-tutorial-campaign" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/9117273/to-non-pro-subscribers-who-are-curious-about-api-features-i-made-a-tutorial-campaign</a>
Brian C. said: You can select the map, press the "Z" key to show it zoomed to fit the window, and right-click to copy or save it. Then you can load it into a the GIMP or image editing software of your choice to crop down to a part of the map. Once you have your maps done, you can upload them again. Brian, thanks.&nbsp; That's worked a treat.&nbsp; Had to be Ctrl-Z for me, and then it copied fine and I was able to split it up.