Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Opinion check - sci fi space RPG

I decided that if I run a second campaign it will be Sci-FI/Space orientated.  I have my initial, relatively short (several sessions) campaign idea and other ideas yada yada yada... What I need is a rule set.  Way back in the dark days of the last millenium, we ran Space Opera and Traveler.  We didn't really like Traveler all that much but liked Space Opera.  However, that rule set is extremely complicated and I don't want to subject people to that.  The other one we had was Star Frontiers. Star Frontiers could work and I own it...but are their others?  I see StarFInder?  How is that?  Any others that people enjoy? I have a peaked interest in StarFinder as it is relatively NEW and not dug out of a dusty old box that you youngins never heard of.  So, I will tend to look at suggestions of more new/flashy/popular with more interest but older systems are still up for consideration...
I like Fragged Empire. Rules and setting are a union, so if you already have a setting in mind, modding will take a lot of work. Starfinder should be easier, just inventind your own species. Though Cutting magic out of it would hurt (dunno if your spacesetting has magic). Also, it has that DnD feel of begin weakish, get ever more powerfull at high levels. Hell, even weapons have levels and highlevel weapons are just that much stronger. I never touchted StarsWithout Numbers. But it got a certain popularity. If you like narrative style games, you could talk a look at making your own PbtA hack: <a href="http://buriedwithoutceremony.com/simple-world" rel="nofollow">http://buriedwithoutceremony.com/simple-world</a>
Thanks!&nbsp; I will look at it.&nbsp; I don't mind 'magic' in my Space worlds though it usually takes the form of psionics...so more like Star Wars than Star Trek.&nbsp; However, I don't think I want it the dominant form of combat and just realized in a flash of stupidity...StarFINDER...PathFInder...probably related :D WIll look at STarfinder but might not be what I am looking for.&nbsp; Star Frontiers is my plan B.&nbsp; Starswithoutnumbers...hmmmm not heard of that one..

Edited 1598967013
There are a number of very good Sci-Fi RPG's and the very best I think are Traveller and Stars without Numbers. None of them are overly complicated or can be as complicated as you feel your game should be. Anyway, traveller would be my go to sci-fi RPG since I personally think its alot of fun to play plus I am not one of those DM's who is a stickler for RaW.
yes, Starfinder is from Paizo and is Pathfinder in space. They changed some things, Magicusers not being as oppressive being one of them. But if you dont like Pathfinder, you likely will not like starfinder either.
I would check out Stars Without Number, it's free, it has mech/space ship building, rules for making empires and tons and tons of random roll tables for making stuff as you go.&nbsp;
*cough* Star Wars Sagas *cough*
Starfinder, Stars Without Number and Coriolis are all ones I've read good things about
Ok, I will check out the others but pick up the Starfinder core rulebook soon

Edited 1599001184
For what you're looking for, Stars Without Number is the best system. It has mechanics that do most of the work for you. It's an OSR system that is built around the Space Opera (genre, not the game) narrative format. To see exactly what the system is capable of, you can check out Adam Koebel (co-creator of Dungeon World) GM it with a couple of other high profile streamers/pro gamers here:( <a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iofsg3hqZjo" rel="nofollow">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iofsg3hqZjo</a> ). That particular campaign is 1st Edition. There was a 2nd Edition printed that streamlined things.
Bran...you had me at OSR :)
Savage Worlds has a few good options for SciFi.