Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Restricting Player Access to Macros

Edited 1599185912
Hi, I know about the "Visible to Players" option in macros, but it appears not to work. I'm hoping this is because when I rejoin as a player that it is me, the GM signed it.  But here's my issue. Here's a screen shot of a macro, calling one of my API procedures.  You can see that "Visible to Players" has no entry. Here is what I see as the GM.  The token macros shown for the unit (character token) selected are the most of any type of unit in the game.  All, of course refer back to either macros in the macro window, or character specific macros.  All my macros call either The Aaron's tokenmod, Weapon_Arc or my own APIs. Every single one of those macros has "Visible to Players" empty as per my first screenshot. Unfortunately, when I log in as a player, these macros are all accessible and available to me as a player. Similarly, much to my consternation, I've discovered that the attributes and abilities window is open and the abilities are able to be messed with by a player (I've circled the options in the side window to show this is a "player" logged in): Do I have any options?  Or, is what I am seeing in both cases, a result of me being the GM and logging in as a player? Thanks in advance, -- Tim
GiGs
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
This will just be because you're the GM. For testing what players see, the best approach is to create a second account (it's free!) and invite that account to your game. Then you can really see what players see.
Oosh
Sheet Author
API Scripter
You need to make a dummy account to test what players actually see - the GM log in as player is pretty unreliable. Your Collections macros won't be visible to anyone unless you tick that box, and players can't see or open any journal entries (including character sheets) unless you give them access.
Thank you both very much, that seems to address my issue.  Off to make a second account! GiGs said: This will just be because you're the GM. For testing what players see, the best approach is to create a second account (it's free!) and invite that account to your game. Then you can really see what players see. Oosh said: You need to make a dummy account to test what players actually see - the GM log in as player is pretty unreliable. Your Collections macros won't be visible to anyone unless you tick that box, and players can't see or open any journal entries (including character sheets) unless you give them access.
GiGs said: Oosh said: Oh crumbs, I'm glad I did the second player thing.  I've found a problem I would not have realized before unleashing this on my friends soon. Here's what I thought the token macros would look like for one unit.  This is a GM view with the token macros available: Here it is again from an actual player point of view.  Only two macros are showing which are abilities. My campaign is a wargames map exercise meant to set up battles to be played with model tanks, guns and figures on a ping pong table.  I think that's a bit different with different requirements for the players' access.   It appears I might just have to make backups and implore my players not to mess with macros and abilities.  That should be manageable enough. Nonetheless, I am very grateful for the advice on the extra player account.  I'll also use it in a D&D campaign where I am not the GM but had to set things up for a friend who isn't that familiar with computer stuff. -- Tim

Edited 1599193527
Oosh
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Each player needs to set up their own display - you can share your Collections macros, but the player will have to choose whether to display them as token actions or on the macro bar. You can't do this bit for them unless you log in to their account. The exception is character Ability macros set to token actions, which will show up for anyone who can select that token. Also worth noting that players cannot edit the Collections macros you share with them.