Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

[Mentors] Which API scripts do you use?

Nick S.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Translator
Hey guys! I've been considering upgrading to Mentor for a while. At the beginning it was for the Power Cards mainly, since i didn't see the use at the moment to copy from different campaigns (i do now!). But with the character sheets available, making a custom one made me wonder again if i should upgrade (since i use homebrew rules and those would work great to put what's needed there). To get the most out of it, i was wondering which scripts you normally use on your campaigns so i can get a better idea of what to add on mine. I'd appreciate any comments / suggestions :) In case it makes any difference, we're currently playing D&D Next. Thank you! Nick.
I chop and change depending on what campaign i'm running. for my dnd next game, i use a temp hp tracker, because so many ways of gaining temp hp in that game, much easier if you just apply damage as normal and let it work it out. I also use a recently created (updated?) script for summoning monsters, it lets players control when familiars, animal companions and summoned monsters are available to them without having to pull them up myself. Another neat one places bloodsplatter on the ground when you run the script around/under the token you target. I currently use that to indicate critical hits, rather than every hit, but its a nice surprise for the player to see a randomised splatter of blood pooling under their targets as they wail on them Dnd Next is fairly simple though, and being a mentor means you can take the character sheets available and truly make them your own. I have added roll buttons to every sheet for rolling with advantage, and disadvantage on all stat checks/saves and attacks (not so much skills, having issues with making them fit nicely there, but working on it.) I can't even remember the amount of scripts I have running for my dnd 3.5 campaign, but there are two rows of them, all used quite heavily. So it comes down to play style, and what you are looking for in a script really.

Edited 1402326994
Lithl
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
One of the D&D 4e campaigns I'm in uses 6 different scripts, 4 authored by me. The Unknown Ponies campaign I'm running uses 3 scripts, 2 authored by me. I'm also midway through a port of Betrayal at House on the Hill which makes extensive use of scripts (but needs some additional card/deck support to complete), as well as midway through creating a Fiasco table which automates many of the facets of the game. Both the Betrayal and the Fiasco games will, ideally, be able to be run without anyone with GM privileges being present.
Sam M.
Pro
Sheet Author
@Brian I'm in the beginning stages of doing the same thing with Castle Panic! Are you treating most of the game pieces as cards?
Lithl
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
I've got a script handling the room tiles, since they're supposed to have different backs yet be in the same "deck," which the current deck system can't handle, and I don't really expect it to ever handle. The rooms are all simply graphics on the map layer, positioned with scripts. It's the items, omens, and events which are treated as cards in decks, but we don't really have means to search or reorganize card decks, which has put my project on hold.

Edited 1402556334
Nick S.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Translator
Wow, thanks for all the answers guys! I'll be taking a look at several of those scripts and see how they fit my campaign. The bloodsplatter one sounds like a nice addition for the players. If you have any other suggestions, please feel free to share, i'd like to hear about as many as possible :) Thanks! ~EDIT I just upgraded and decided to go with the Custom Power Cards, Auto Initiative and Init Highlighter for the moment. I also added Carrying Tokens, but it doesn't seem as practical as ithought it'd be. I'm still all ears for any other recommendations. Thanks again! Nick.
All my own scripts atm. Though I am looking at using the initiative tracker.
Currently im using the 4e D&D another combat script by Alex L which I modified for my Radiance RPG games, The clock timer to time the turns, the turn highlighter to see whos turn it is, the carry tokens script (which stopped working for me bummer), The conditions script for turns so I don't need to remember them. I also mixed set macros from the character sheet fields to work with Alex L's Another combat script so players don't need to know how to use macros. They just need to create powers from a set of drop-down boxes. :) I have a few more but they are mostly filler to work with to see what other interesting effects that can be added. Right now I was trying to work on a "Hit" effect script where when a person was hit they would show some graphical effect but there doesn't appear to be a delete command for tokens or objects right now so I have to figure out a way around it.
Simple way around it... move the hit effect token to the GM layer inside a setTimeout() function and move it to the top left location of the map, out of the way until needed again.
HoneyBadger said: Simple way around it... move the hit effect token to the GM layer inside a setTimeout() function and move it to the top left location of the map, out of the way until needed again. ooo Yeah if its inside GM layer no one would notice it... Clever :))