Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

UDL + Dungeon of the Mad Mage lvl 3 = completely broken

Sargauth Level (lvl 3) in Dungeon of the Mad Mage is basically non-functional with updated dynamic lighting. The map is so big the client keeps throwing warning about big maps not loading at all. When it loads, if it loads, I can't even touch my characters tokens or chrome goes completely black (even the tabs/backbutton/home button, etc) then when it reloads there is no map, no nothing, and I need to close chrome.  I cannot even express how angry I am that a product ROLL20 made is not supported by ROLL20. This is literally a crime. If you sell a content pack in needs to be runnable. 
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
The fault is more likely to be with UDL, which still is in development and has a list of bugs that are being worked on. I would suggest reverting to Legacy for the time being. Roll20 has not done a great job in stressing the developmental nature of UDL, I'm sorry to say. As an aside (this is not an excuse, but point out some realities), Module writers do not consider the needs of Virtual Table Top systems when designing their products, and many "megadungeon" experiences are difficult to convert. Roll20 attempt to account for this whenever possible. That being said, my recommendation about UDL stands, even for small dungeon experiences. It is not complete.
Well, the problem there is that I took their threat that old DL was being depreciated seriously and "Converted Lighting." Now, even if I toggle everything off and set it up to be like old, the dynamic lighting lines are just completely ignored by the old DL and my players can see in every direction through walls. So I'm either cutting the map in two parts or starting a whole second campaign just to run one level. 
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
I agree that the UDL conversion tool was not well-presented. It should not have been pushed as "ready". At this point, it might be better to cut your losses and switch to a new LDL installation of the game. With the Transmogrifier, you can move any unique assets you have added. I am curious about the problem with DL lines not working under LDL, though. That seems wrong. Lines are lines. Have you converted player tokens back to LDL as well as maps? I haven't run tests of that sort, so I haven't encountered some of the issues that can arise.

Edited 1601260601
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
I just ran a test, converting a new module to UDL. After making sure that a token could be used and seen through by a player (using a  Dummy Account ), I converted the test page back to LDL. I turned off the Page's UDL settings and turned on basic LDL. I then did the same with the PC token. All DL lines were respected and LDL behaved normally. Can you give me repro steps so I can try to duplicate what you are experiencing?
Brian C.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Compendium Curator
It sounds like "Enforce Line of Sight" might be off. Could you please post screen shots of the page's lighting settings?
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Good point. Since "Enforce line of sight" can affect both LDL and UDL, it's separate from the other LDL settings, requiring you to scroll down in the dialog box.It's easy to miss.
Brian C.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Compendium Curator
keithcurtis said: Good point. Since "Enforce line of sight" can affect both LDL and UDL, it's separate from the other LDL settings, requiring you to scroll down in the dialog box.It's easy to miss. No, that's Restrict Movement. Enforce Line of Sight is buried under LDL's Dynamic Lighting tick box. UDL does not seem to have an equivalent, with Enforce Line of Sight essentially always on.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Sigh. You're right. Trying to go through the forums too quickly this morning...
Brian C.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Compendium Curator
keithcurtis said: Sigh. You're right. Trying to go through the forums too quickly this morning... Eh, it's okay. Even you are allowed to miss something from time to time. It lets us know you are human :)
My bad. The lines for DL where working for both legacy and updated. The confusion was that they had been turned off for a brief time and that had caused them to be able too see through walls for just a second - filling out their map in AFoW/Explorer and making it look like they had perma x-ray vision till we started moving them a good distance. The original comment about Lvl3 being unplayable in UDL is still true. The problem is linked with what range of map is being reveled in both LDL and UDL. A map reveal range of anything above 20 is just damn near unplayable no matter what system you are using.