Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Can't select freehand / shape drawings on map layer with an image in background

Steve
Plus
Sheet Author
I have drawn using the hand tools on the map layer to modify another image. I want to move where I drew a wall, but I can't select my drawing. No matter where I click on the image it only selects the background picture (even though it is sent to back). The two black areas pointed at by the arrows are drawings, either a 'shape' or 'freehand'. If I move the background image away, I can select the drawings, but I don't want to mess with rest of the layer by moving that.
Brian C.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Compendium Curator
First double-check the line is actually on the layer that you are currently interacting with. Cycle through the layers and try to grab the line. In some cases, you can zoom in all the way to grab the line. You could also send the map images to a different layer long enough to grab and move the lines and then move the images back to the original layer. That will keep everything in the same positions, although you will have to "Send to Back" some of the images until the order is correct again. In general, you want to avoid making short, straight lines when possible. Even a small tail will make a line much easier to select. As an outside chance, I seem to remember that there had been a bug where UDL was making drawn objects difficult to select or turn (I forget which). If you have UDL on, you might want to temporarily turn it off and see if you can then select the drawings.
Steve
Plus
Sheet Author
Thanks for the workaround suggestions Brian. I am not using UDL (too buggy still), and the lines were definitely drawn on the map layer. There must be some issue here with selection of drawn objects, which is why I put it up in the bug report section. These aren't super thin lines either, they're made using a box shape with thickest possible line size, they're certainly larger objects than many of the furniture items and tokens I use yet I can always select those just fine. I did end up moving the background image out of the way, and was able to select the upper of the two lines, but the lower (the one with the tail sticking out and the chunky wedge shape, which are actually two different objects overlapping) weren't able to be selected by directly clicking, I had to area select in the end in order to grab them.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
There is a trick that will partially solve this. Drawing a selection rectangle around multiple objects will only select drawn objects (lines and shapes) if you hold the Alt key down while selecting. The drawback is that the initial click must be on an area without a drawing. So it's useful mostly on the token layer, to clear just drawings, but not as useful on the map layer where a map typically covers the whole screen. So you could move the map over one square with the arrow keys, use an alt select rectangle (starting on a blank spot) to grab just the drawings, delete them and then move the map back.
Oosh
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Another option - right-click the map image and send it to GM layer temporarily. Set GM layer opacity to 0. Should be much easier to see & select things now.