Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

GoFish API

Looking for someone who hopefully has used this to help out. PC's are occasionally on a boat and wanted to fish and I didn't want to improv it everytime. Was surprised to see a Fishing game API. I can't get it to work.  It gives codes !go-fish to start the game, and I get a big list of what codes to put in to start it. The first one is "!go-fish [water-source] [pool-type]" where it gives you the words to put inbetween the brackets. For instance "!go-fish [Freshwater] [common]" it either doesn't work, or when it does it tells me the character needs a dex or dex mod. They have their character filled out, so why doesn't it work? " [Invalid] Supply either a 'DEX' or 'Dexterity' attribute to your character." Ive even added their dex and dex mod to the 3 bars.  The only commands that work is !go-fish to start the game and !go-fish reset, which is pointless because there's no need to reset something that cant be played. I've tried every code with and without brackets. Every API I use is having problems that I can't solve not knowing coding and everything seems to need a large variety of codes to put in chat. I know API is suppose to save time and create a better experience but I am not getting that out of any API. Ive used every recommended API and none of them benefit me at all. A little flustered right now that a simple fishing game API with every !text needed to play it and it doesn't work.
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
Can you link to the script?
Gold
Forum Champion
Good news if The Aaron AKA the Arcane Scriptomancer, is going to look into that for ya. I will respond to Derek's ending paragraph. I've felt the same, but it gets better, be patient with yourself. This thread is a good way to start. The API commands to type in chat are often confusing to me as well. People of the forum can help get the exact right thing to type. There actually are some API that don't need you (The GM or anyone) to type any commands, they just work "out of the box". But yes a lot of them need to be triggered/launched/activated by typing a command for what you need it to do. Believe me the API can become super-useful for someone, even someone like me that does not particularly enjoy or usually get the command words right the first try. Just be patient with yourself, and resolve one desire at a time.  I've never used this Go-Fish, but I have a feeling someone like The Aaron can help you find the exact right code to type in. Then you (GM) can save that/those codes as a Roll20 macro (Collections Tab) and give access to that Macro, to "All Players", allowing them to play it with the push of a macro-button.  API is pretty advanced, power-user Roll20 stuff. Congratulations on dipping your toes in. Keep trying, it sounds like you're the kind of Game Master that will think of a lot of good uses for the API, which your Players will enjoy seeing the "bells and whistles" (fancy features) that you can add to your tabletop. Derek F. said: I've tried every code with and without brackets. Every API I use is having problems that I can't solve not knowing coding and everything seems to need a large variety of codes to put in chat. I know API is suppose to save time and create a better experience but I am not getting that out of any API. Ive used every recommended API and none of them benefit me at all. A little flustered right now that a simple fishing game API with every !text needed to play it and it doesn't work.

Edited 1601356374
Thanks a lot, Gold. I could always just scrap API (Other than GroupInit which is the only properly working API lol) because I know what to do roll20 with no API. The Aaron, I do not know what you mean by Link the Script. It's called GoFish in the Roll20 API Library. The area where you can manually put a code doesn't show anything that I can link to. As for commands in game there is no macro to copy over. They're all rollable tables and the only codes to put in are !gofish codes in chat which I do not think is what you're asking for. Sorry, noob here.
David M.
Pro
API Scripter
From the instructions on the GitHub page  (Github is the place where all of the scripts are actually stored, even the one-click install ones like GoFish), it says that "A user must have a 'Dexterity' (or 'DEX' modifier), a 'RodDurability' attribute (with current and max), and a 'Fishing' attribute supplied to their character." Looks like you will need to add these as attributes to the character sheet in order for the script to function. So, go into the character sheet -> Attributes & Abilities tab -> "+ Add", and enter these attributes to the character. You may already have a "Dexterity" or "DEX" attribute, so scroll through the list of existing ones before adding it again, as this could cause problems. Also, these might be case-sensitive (haven't reviewed the code), so be careful when entering. If that still doesn't work, I'm confident Aaron can point you in the right direction. Hang in there with the API scripts! It can be confusing for everyone when they are first starting out. And some (looking at you, Powercards) can have a steep learning curve. Each script is generated by individuals in the community, and they each have their own idiosyncrasies, syntax, and sometimes setup requirements. You are doing the right thing by asking questions on the forums. There are tons of folks that want to help!
A very helpful bit of information there. Did not know about GitHub, just looked and it seems there's a lot of help in the description. I will test it out through trial and error ... the only thing I can do properly is make mistakes and learn not to make those mistakes again. Thanks for the pep talk, all of you. I get REALLY into things that I like and having to put my creations to a halt and try to figure out a new language brings on a new type of stress, and the bright white background of this site does not help the eyes/head! Regardless of all my problems I will still carry on with trying to figure out scripts and maybe even figure out what some of the coding means and how I can fix,edit,create some my own.

Edited 1601400200
Pat
Pro
API Scripter
For brightness, a quick fix I found is this bookmarklet&nbsp; <a href="https://gist.github.com/arturi/7613099" rel="nofollow">https://gist.github.com/arturi/7613099</a> (open chrome, press [CTRL + SHIFT + O],go to the upper right three-dots menu, select "Add Bookmark" and add the quoted bit of script from the github page as the address of the bookmark. I named mine "Darkness"). Once that's done, open any page and click on the bookmark you named whatever in&nbsp; your bookmarks bar. It might help with the eye-searing brightness.&nbsp; &nbsp; It doesn't stay, you have to re-activate it every time you switch pages - but if you're going to be on the same page a while it might help.
Thanks Pat. I'll have to set that up!