Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Quality of Life - Macro Subfolders

In the collection Tab - it would be nice to have sub folders for all my Macros instead of one giant jumbo list that takes me a few minutes to find, moreso harder with minor Dyslexia. be nice to sort them with spell macros, combat macros, DM macros, Player macros, this macros, that macros... 
David M.
Pro
API Scripter
This would be super nice, although there is already an existing suggestion that is in the "Researching" phase that would seem to include this functionality. 
Nover C. said: In the collection Tab - it would be nice to have sub folders for all my Macros instead of one giant jumbo list that takes me a few minutes to find, moreso harder with minor Dyslexia. be nice to sort them with spell macros, combat macros, DM macros, Player macros, this macros, that macros...  If you haven't already, I'd highly recommend storing your macros on character sheets, instead of the Collections tab. That way, you can sort as you please (and have different sheets for different types of macros) and easily copy macros from one game to another. I only use the Collections tab now if I have no choice (if a script force-installs a macro on the tab, or if I want the macro to be available on all player tokens).
Jay - not following - eli5
Nover C. said: Jay - not following - eli5 You can create macros on the Attributes and Abilities tab of any character sheet, and choose either to show them as token actions (best for your players) or in your macro quick bar at the bottom of the page (best for GMs). I opt for the quick bar approach, since you can rename the macro in the quick bar to something compact or even use emoji to represent a macro (which is what I do). I find it much easier to access macros from the quick bar at the bottom of the page than having to click over to that mess of a Collections tab every time. I hope that's clear! :)
hrmm, well what I do for myself as the GM is, I make a chat box button macro to organize everything. I am uncertain if I can do some of that stuff if it's in the character sheet.&nbsp; example:&nbsp; <a href="https://imgur.com/a/4rVjBPb" rel="nofollow">https://imgur.com/a/4rVjBPb</a> while those buttons, all but 1 I don't need them to be on the collection - the initiative button is the group initiative api which requires a macro in the collection section. For me to call that macro, I need to do a `#macroname not sure how I would call it if it comes from a character sheet, once I start building more macros
Nover C. said: hrmm, well what I do for myself as the GM is, I make a chat box button macro to organize everything. I am uncertain if I can do some of that stuff if it's in the character sheet.&nbsp; example:&nbsp; <a href="https://imgur.com/a/4rVjBPb" rel="nofollow">https://imgur.com/a/4rVjBPb</a> while those buttons, all but 1 I don't need them to be on the collection - the initiative button is the group initiative api which requires a macro in the collection section. For me to call that macro, I need to do a `#macroname not sure how I would call it if it comes from a character sheet, once I start building more macros You can absolutely throw macros into chat menus, regardless of whether they come from the Collections tab or a character sheet. I use chat menus all the time. My typical practice is to create the chat menu on the same character sheet as the macros called by the chat menu buttons. Then I have the chat menu macro show up on my macro quick bar so I can quickly bring up the chat menu when I need it. As for group initiative, it may throw a macro into the Collections tab, but that doesn't mean you have to use it. You could create a group-initiative macro on a character sheet, containing nothing but the !group-init command. Then have it show up in your quick bar. Whenever you need to roll inish for monsters/npcs, select the tokens and run that macro. But I'm assuming you're using group-init for monsters/npcs only, though. For player initiative, I store a different macro on the Collections tab, so that initiative button can be visible to any player from the menu above the token. As an example, I store all of the following macros on a character sheet called Vision Macros. The first macro brings up the chat menu, and that's the only one I have on the quick bar. The others can be accessed by the buttons from the chat menu. They all use the OGL NPC action template, because I find that the prettiest. :) # Set Light Source chat menu, grouped, with display option /w gm &amp;{template:npcaction} {{rname=Set Light Source}} {{description=**Player Light** [Bullseye Lantern](~BullseyeLantern) | [Candle](~Candle) | [Darkvision](~Darkvision) | [Daylight Spell](~DaylightSpell) | [Hooded Lantern](~HoodedLantern) | [Hooded Lantern, Hood Lowered](~HoodedLanternLowered) | [Light Spell](~LightSpell) | [Produce Flame Spell](~ProduceFlameSpell) | [Torch](~Torch) **Player Light (reduced/none)** [Blinded](~Blinded) | [Dim Light Only](~DimLightOnly) | [No Light Source](~NoLightSource) | &nbsp; **Object Light** [Candle, Object](~CandleObject) | [Daylight Spell, Object](~DaylightSpellObject) | [Lamp](~Lamp) |[Torch, Object](~TorchObject)}} # Blinded !token-mod --set bar3|"Blind" light_radius#3 light_dimradius#=-5 light_hassight#yes light_angle#360 light_otherplayers#no &amp;{template:npcaction} {{rname=Set Light Source}} {{description=**@{selected|token_name}** is now **blind**!}} #Bullseye Lantern !token-mod --set bar3|"Bull" light_radius#120 light_dimradius#60 light_angle#60 light_hassight#yes light_otherplayers#yes &amp;{template:npcaction} {{rname=Set Light Source}} {{description=**@{selected|token_name}** is now using a **bullseye lantern** for light.}} #Candle !token-mod --set bar3|"Candle" light_radius#5 light_dimradius#=0 light_hassight#yes light_angle#360 light_otherplayers#yes &amp;{template:npcaction} {{rname=Set Light Source}} {{description=**@{selected|token_name}** is now using a **candle** for light.}} #Candle (Object) !token-mod --set bar3|"Candle" light_radius#5 light_dimradius#=0 light_hassight#no light_angle#360 light_otherplayers#yes &amp;{template:npcaction} {{rname=Set Light Source}} {{description=The **@{selected|token_name}** now sheds light like a **candle**.}} # Darkvision !token-mod --set bar3|"DarkV" light_radius#60 light_dimradius#=-5 light_hassight#yes light_angle#360 light_otherplayers#no &amp;{template:npcaction} {{rname=Set Light Source}} {{description=**@{selected|token_name}** is now relying on their **darkvision** to see.}} #Daylight Spell !token-mod --set bar3|"Daylight" light_radius#120 light_dimradius#60 light_hassight#yes light_angle#360 light_otherplayers#yes &amp;{template:npcaction} {{rname=Set Light Source}} {{description=**@{selected|token_name}** now sees by the magic of the ***daylight*** spell!}} #Daylight Spell (Object) !token-mod --set bar3|"Daylight" light_radius#120 light_dimradius#60 light_hassight#no light_angle#360 light_otherplayers#yes &amp;{template:npcaction} {{rname=Set Light Source}} {{description=The **@{selected|token_name}** now sheds light like the ***daylight*** spell.}} #Dim Light Only !token-mod --set bar3|"Dim" light_radius#30 light_dimradius#=-5 light_hassight#yes light_angle#360 light_otherplayers#no &amp;{template:npcaction} {{rname=Set Light Source}} {{description=**@{selected|token_name}** can now only see **dimly**.}} #Hooded Lantern !token-mod --set bar3|"Hood" light_radius#60 light_dimradius#30 light_hassight#yes light_angle#360 light_otherplayers#yes &amp;{template:npcaction} {{rname=Set Light Source}} {{description=**@{selected|token_name}** is now using a **hooded lantern** for light.}} #Hooded Lantern (hood lowered) !token-mod --set bar3|"LowHood" light_radius#=5 light_dimradius#=-5 light_hassight#yes light_angle#360 light_otherplayers#yes &amp;{template:npcaction} {{rname=Set Light Source}} {{description=**@{selected|token_name}** has **lowered their hooded lantern** to avoid attracting attention.}} #Lamp !token-mod --set bar3|"Lamp" light_radius#45 light_dimradius#30 light_hassight#no light_angle#360 light_otherplayers#yes &amp;{template:npcaction} {{rname=Set Light Source}} {{description=The **@{selected|token_name}** now sheds light like a **lamp**.}} #Light Spell !token-mod --set bar3|"Light" light_radius#40 light_dimradius#20 light_hassight#yes light_angle#360 light_otherplayers#yes &amp;{template:npcaction} {{rname=Set Light Source}} {{description=**@{selected|token_name}** can now see by the magic of the ***light*** spell!}} #No Light Source !token-mod --set bar3|"NoLight" light_radius#5 light_dimradius#=-5 light_hassight#yes light_angle#360 light_otherplayers#no &amp;{template:npcaction} {{rname=Set Light Source}} {{description=**@{selected|token_name}** now has no light source and can only see via other light sources.}} #Produce Flame Spell !token-mod --set bar3|"Prod.F" light_radius#20 light_dimradius#10 light_hassight#yes light_angle#360 light_otherplayers#yes &amp;{template:npcaction} {{rname=Set Light Source}} {{description=**@{selected|token_name}** can now see by the magic of the ***produce flame*** spell!}} #Torch !token-mod --set bar3|"Torch" light_radius#40 light_dimradius#20 light_hassight#yes light_angle#360 light_otherplayers#yes &amp;{template:npcaction} {{rname=Set Light Source}} {{description=**@{selected|token_name}** is now using a **torch** for light.}} #Torch (Object) !token-mod --set bar3|"Torch" light_radius#40 light_dimradius#20 light_hassight#no light_angle#360 light_otherplayers#yes &amp;{template:npcaction} {{rname=Set Light Source}} {{description=The **@{selected|token_name}** now sheds light like a **torch**.}}
Kraynic
Pro
Sheet Author
I have a "character" in my games called ApiMM (API Macro Mule).&nbsp; I have an individual ability macro on there for each tokenmod, chatsetattr, or groupinitiative api command I might want to run.&nbsp; I keep them all separate so that it is easier for me to find the individual commands and edit them instead of finding the command within a chat menu.&nbsp; That "character" also has a couple chat menus that are only there for me to be able to copy/paste them to my macros collection which I then set to be a token action.&nbsp; Having a sheet like that also allows me to use the Bio tab to store set up commands that I might not remember otherwise (like the exact command to set up the initiative bonus and tie breaker for the Pathfinder by Roll20 sheet). For example, part of my tokenmod chat menu looks like this: *Name Plates* [Name On](~ApiMM|NaOn) ~ [Name Off](~ApiMM|NaOf) The ~ApiMM tells it to look at that character sheet.&nbsp; Then the NaOn (turn player permission to see the name plate on) tells it to look for that ability macro, which looks like this: !token-mod --set showplayers_name|yes showname|yes It doesn't matter if it is an api, or if you are setting up regular macros.&nbsp; As long as they are using @{selected| for each attribute call, they work just fine being called from a sheet.&nbsp; Another thing I tend to do as a DM is set up a sheet called "GroupRolls".&nbsp; In that, I create a bunch of macros that will whisper me info on whatever info I find useful:&nbsp; languages known, hidden rolls, notes on certain skills, etc.&nbsp; Some will be singular, but most will be set up to display the whole group with one selection from the chat menu.&nbsp; While you have to hard code in the character names when doing group macros like that, you can still transfer the sheet from one game to another and just use a text editor to find/replace character names in the attribute calls. Also, if you ever get into running a game that isn't supported by a compendium on Roll20, you will find that macro sheets for various types of magic, poisons, etc. are incredibly convenient once set up.

Edited 1602197938
Ok, so I made 2 character sheets, DM Macros and PC Macros. I deleted all my macros from Collection. I then set the character sheet macros to show in bar. when I click on them, nothing happens.
Update - apparently there is some MAJOR lag - as it now shows the macros working after few minutes later........
Kraynic
Pro
Sheet Author
If you are using the macro quick bar, I guess it would work fine to activate them from the macro sheet.&nbsp; I prefer token action buttons, so while I create a chat menu on the sheet, I just copy/paste it into the collections macro and set it to be a global token action from there.&nbsp; Having it as one of the sheet ability macros means that I already have the chat menu written if I use the transmogrifier to bring it into another game.
So what I did was 2 character sheets - one for DM and one for NPC. I put all my macros I can think of there, just in case for future use, to know each one individually and have a place saved in my DM Only Storage Campaign and to transmog them whereever. Within those 2 pages is 1 Macro that sets them all up in a Chat Menu Button. One for myself, One for Players (Spellbook, wild Shape, Saves/checks, short/long rest, etc) So all they need to do or I is activate it to quick macro bar - click it to open menu in chat then click whatever is needed.&nbsp;
Jay - is your macro with light source updated for the new DL or the old one?
Nover C. said: Jay - is your macro with light source updated for the new DL or the old one? The one I posted above is Legacy, but I have worked up a basic UDL version too (fewer light sources, but still tested and correct). I know one could handle vision through a pop-up menu, but I do this because I want to have a chat message that the token's light source has changed, and because I like being able to use bar3 on the token to track light source (clicking a token with darkvision will show "DarkV" in bar3).&nbsp; #Set Light Source chat menu /w gm &amp;{template:npcaction} {{rname=Set Light Source}} {{description=[Blinded](~Blinded) | [Bullseye Lantern](~BullseyeLantern) | [Candle](~Candle) | [Candle, Object](~CandleObject) | [Darkvision](~Darkvision) | [Daylight Spell](~DaylightSpell) | [Daylight Spell, Object](~DaylightSpellObject) | [Hooded Lantern](~HoodedLantern) | [Hooded Lantern, Hood Lowered](~HoodedLanternLowered) | [Lamp](~Lamp) | [Light Spell](~LightSpell) | [No Light Source](~NoLightSource) | [Produce Flame Spell](~ProduceFlameSpell) | [Torch](~Torch) | [Torch, Object](~TorchObject)}} #Blinded Macro !token-mod --set bright_vision#no emits_bright#no emits_low#no night_vision#no &amp;{template:npcaction} {{rname=Set Light Source}} {{description=@{selected|token_name} has been **Blinded**!}} #Bullseye Lantern !token-mod --set bright_vision#yes emits_bright#yes bright_distance#60 emits_low#yes low_distance#60 has_directional_bright_light#yes directional_bright_light_total#90 night_vision#no &amp;{template:npcaction} {{rname=Set Light Source}} {{description=@{selected|token_name} is now using a **Bullseye Lantern** for light.}} #Candle !token-mod --set bright_vision#yes night_vision#no emits_bright#yes bright_distance#5 emits_low#yes low_distance#5 &amp;{template:npcaction} {{rname=Set Light Source}} {{description=@{selected|token_name} is now using a **Candle** for light.}} #Candle (Object) !token-mod --set bright_vision#no night_vision#no emits_bright#yes bright_distance#5 emits_low#yes low_distance#5 &amp;{template:npcaction} {{rname=Set Light Source}} {{description=The @{selected|token_name} now sheds light like a **Candle**.}} #Darkvision !token-mod --set bright_vision#yes night_vision#yes night_distance#60 emits_bright#no emits_low#no &amp;{template:npcaction} {{rname=Set Light Source}} {{description=@{selected|token_name} uses their **Darkvision** to see.}} #Daylight Spell !token-mod --set bright_vision#yes night_vision#no emits_bright#yes bright_distance#60 emits_low#yes low_distance#60 &amp;{template:npcaction} {{rname=Set Light Source}} {{description=@{selected|token_name} now sees by the magic of the spell **Daylight**!}} #Daylight Spell (Object) !token-mod --set bright_vision#no night_vision#no emits_bright#yes bright_distance#60 emits_low#yes low_distance#60 &amp;{template:npcaction} {{rname=Set Light Source}} {{description=The @{selected|token_name} now sheds light like the spell **Daylight**.}} #Hooded Lantern !token-mod --set bright_vision#yes night_vision#no emits_bright#yes bright_distance#30 emits_low#yes low_distance#30 &amp;{template:npcaction} {{rname=Set Light Source}} {{description=@{selected|token_name} is now using a **Hooded Lantern** for light.}} #Hooded Lantern (hood lowered) !token-mod --set bright_vision#yes night_vision#no emits_bright#yes bright_distance#5 emits_low#yes low_distance#5 &amp;{template:npcaction} {{rname=Set Light Source}} {{description=@{selected|token_name} has lowered their **Hooded Lantern** for reduced light.}} #Lamp !token-mod --set bright_vision#no emits_bright#yes bright_distance#15 emits_low#yes low_distance#30 night_vision#no &amp;{template:npcaction} {{rname=Set Light Source}} {{description=The @{selected|token_name} now sheds light like a **Lamp**.}} #Light Spell !token-mod --set bright_vision#yes emits_bright#yes bright_distance#20 emits_low#yes low_distance#20 night_vision#no &amp;{template:npcaction} {{rname=Set Light Source}} {{description=@{selected|token_name} can now see by the magic of the spell **Light**!}} #No Light Source !token-mod --set bright_vision#yes emits_bright#no emits_low#no night_vision#no &amp;{template:npcaction} {{rname=Set Light Source}} {{description=@{selected|token_name} has no light source and can only see by daylight or by the light sources of others.}} #Produce Flame Spell !token-mod --set bright_vision#yes emits_bright#yes bright_distance#10 emits_low#yes low_distance#10 night_vision#no &amp;{template:npcaction} {{rname=Set Light Source}} {{description=@{selected|token_name} can now see by the magic of the spell **Produce Flame**!}} #Torch !token-mod --set bright_vision#yes night_vision#no emits_bright#yes bright_distance#20 emits_low#yes low_distance#10 &amp;{template:npcaction} {{rname=Set Light Source}} {{description=@{selected|token_name} is now using a **Torch** for light.}} #Torch (Object) !token-mod --set bright_vision#no night_vision#no emits_bright#yes bright_distance#20 emits_low#yes low_distance#10 &amp;{template:npcaction} {{rname=Set Light Source}} {{description=The @{selected|token_name} now sheds light like a **Torch**.}}
Nover C. said: So what I did was 2 character sheets - one for DM and one for NPC. I put all my macros I can think of there, just in case for future use, to know each one individually and have a place saved in my DM Only Storage Campaign and to transmog them whereever. Within those 2 pages is 1 Macro that sets them all up in a Chat Menu Button. One for myself, One for Players (Spellbook, wild Shape, Saves/checks, short/long rest, etc) So all they need to do or I is activate it to quick macro bar - click it to open menu in chat then click whatever is needed.&nbsp; That's great! I hope it improves your quality of life when gaming.
Thanks for the suggestion! After 30 days, Suggestions and Ideas with fewer than 10 votes are closed and the votes are refunded to promote freshness. Your suggestion didn't build the right momentum this time, but feel free to submit it again! We find that the best suggestions describe the problem you are having, and the solution you want. You can learn more about the process of making suggestions on the Roll20 Wiki! More details can be found here .