Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Way to whisper Death Saves to GM

I am using the 5e OGL sheet by Roll20 with access to api and the ability to make custom sheets if needed.  I just want a simple way to roll death saves to the player rolling and the GM. If there is a way to do this that ONLY affects death saves I can't find it.  Thank you in advance for your help.
/w gm %{selected|death_save}
While technically correct it does not fit the scope of the (poorly defined) question. I am searching for a way either through API, sheet edditing, or a simpler way that when someone clicks the death save option of the character sheet it rolls as a whisper to the player and dm without turning on always whisper, toggle, or quarry. Thank you though.
just make a macro for them to click on their character sheet / token
Oosh
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Well it's an extremely basic sheet edit. But you'd be using a very old version of the sheet (if this is 5e) since it was made proprietary a long time ago. An existing API script could catch death saves and stop them displaying publicly. But really... if you're looking for "simpler", why not just make a token action button from Dakota's suggestion? That will take all of 30 seconds.
Which API script would that be? I'm not able to find it with several cursory google searches.
Oosh
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Whoops sorry, that was meant to be "There's probably an existing API script which could be modified to..."... but now that I think about it, I don't think it will work without changing the sheet, which kind of makes it pointless. You could edit the Attribute death_save_roll and put "/w gm" at the start to replace @{wtype}, but anything that triggers the sheetworker will reset it. You could use ChatSetAttr to keep setting death_save_roll to "/w gm", but you'd either need to manually run it, or you'd need a listener of some kind to trigger it. When a PC drops to 0 HP, maybe? I don't know, it all sounds over-engineered to me - I'd just go with the token action button and what Dakota posted.
Roll20, why you gotta make the simple stuff so hard.  I run for a lot of new people who struggle with macros and token actions so am willing to do more work on my end to make it easier on them.
Kraynic
Pro
Sheet Author
"Simple" stuff isn't always so simple.&nbsp; The whole point of the whisper toggles/queries is so that it will support how various people run the game.&nbsp; Dakota's solution is pretty simple as long as you make sure their tokens are available to them any time they are likely to be needing to make those saves.&nbsp; If you want to edit the sheet and use custom code with that specific change made, the publicly available version can be found here:&nbsp; <a href="https://github.com/Roll20/roll20-character-sheets/tree/master/DD5thEditionLegacy" rel="nofollow">https://github.com/Roll20/roll20-character-sheets/tree/master/DD5thEditionLegacy</a>
Oosh
Sheet Author
API Scripter
28 characters of code seems reasonably simple to me. If you paste that into each player's character sheet as an Ability macro and click the Token Action checkbox, all they have to do is click their token, then click the Death Saving Throw button that pops up. Two mouse clicks for the player... only one mouse click if they already have their token selected. Having a separate whisper setting for every single button and ability on every single character sheet for every single game on Roll 20 would be the absolute polar opposite of the "simple" you're looking for.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
The easiest solution would be to place Dakota's macro in a collections macro, set permissions to "All Players" and click "show as token action". It will automatically appear as a token action button for all selected tokens, player or not. You can make the name short so that it does not take up to much space. You can even name it with a one character emoji.
I've tried to find a simple way to do this also, and have come up with a more convoluted solution than I'd like. Looking at the 5OGL sheet, there's a "death_save_roll" attribute (which looks like it's fired when the sheet area is clicked on), a "deathsave_succ1" attribute, and finally the "deathsave_fail1" attribute. But those last two don't seem to report the actual successes and fails on the sheet. Am I correct here? I'm really checking to see that there's no attribute I totally missed which would more easily lend itself to reporting successes and failures than my own klunky method. M
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
I believe reporting on the sheet requires the API.
Thank you all for all of the help, really.&nbsp; I know its easy to make a token action, its really not hard at all.&nbsp; The hard part is getting the players to use them.&nbsp; I have a group of roughly 15-25 players that all play on different days in different campaigns, sometimes on different characters in the same campaign.&nbsp; Half of them are so knew to the game and roll20 that we have to explain most things to them each time they play. I was honestly hoping for a simple pointer to an api script that would help, or baring that changing the sheet.&nbsp; I know all about the whisper toggles, and token actions, and making a macro dummy sheet and linking that to each character through through the tick boxes.&nbsp; I don't want to have a different whisper toggle on each button of each sheet. I just wanted to have a way to, by default, whisper the death saves to the gm and the player rolling it without having to make a macro and explain over, and over, and over, and over again how to use a token action. It looks like there isn't an easy solution to this issue at this time that fits the needs of my use case.&nbsp; Thank you all.
Oosh
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Rigel W. said: Thank you all for all of the help, really.&nbsp; I know its easy to make a token action, its really not hard at all.&nbsp; The hard part is getting the players to use them.&nbsp; Well.... the old "if you roll publicly, you get 2 auto-fails" method should speed up their learning :)
Thats the kind of evil I like.