Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

5e NPC Attack Rolls Not displaying text description

Edited 1602469150
Hoot
Pro
Rolling NPC Attack with "Show" description turned on, the attack rolls but the descriptions do not show. Have proven this across four different games. Closed Chrome, restarted, same issues.  Anyone Else seeing this behavior? edit: screenshot added... second edit:  Further testing - 5 games, whisper on or off, one game is not running any api, cleared cache/cookies...no change in behavior. Tried Firefox, it did same. rebooted machine (and walked the dog) all to no avail. Either I have a setting wrong or something is funky
Okay, found the focus of concern. If I have Auto Roll Damage and Crit set to "On", I get text output as expected. If I turn Auto Roll Damage and Crit to "Off" the text output does not happen. Happens every single time I have tested across games. Now, this would be fine since I prefer Auto Roll Damage on for my NPC's, every NPC in Rime is set for "Off". ung.
All creatures in official content are set to off by default. It's a pain, but just correct it as you go and it'll be fine. Yes, I think they should do the opposite too, but...
Oosh
Sheet Author
API Scripter
The attack description was changed recently so the description only outputs with the damage, not with the attack roll. Unfortunately there's nothing you can do on the sheet to change it.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
To expand on this, the change was made in response to multiple requests, since many users found it confusing to list effects of the attack on a miss. I.e. a creature with a poison effect on a bite would list poison damage and saving throw regardless of the to hit roll. You can mass change all of the characters in the campaign by changing the setting on your Campaign Settings page, and the using the "Apply defaults" button in the settings tab while in-game. There's a very narrow progress bar, so be sure to look for that and give it time. It can take several minutes.
Thanks to all for the input. For a module with so very many Creatures, it would be nice to have a script to turn on Autoroll damage for all sheets. Oh well. I guess I will change them as I add my macro's to them. Thanks again all.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Did you read through my post above? I gave the instructions for converting all sheets.
keithcurtis said: Did you read through my post above? I gave the instructions for converting all sheets. Apology. i was multitasking on the phone at the same time and misread what you wrote. I tried to change the option in the settings of the game last night to no avail and thought that is what you were suggesting. The "In Game" apply default button wasn't registering in my head. Heck, I didn't even know that was there and could do that. Clearly, I need to drink more caffeine and not less. I have tried. It was successful. Thank you my friend. Saved me a lot of clicks. Much appreciated!
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Cool! I hate seeing people banging their heads against the wall needlessly. (Does this mean I do like watching them do so as long as there is a good reason?)