Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Spaces in Attribute names doesn't seem to work with Character Sheets

Edited 1402699662
I have a campaign that's been going on for a good year now, and today I made new character sheets for it. Those sheets aren't working properly, because the pre-existing characters all have attributes with spaces in the name, such as "Wound Threshold" or "Armour Soak". When I try to call those stats up on a character sheet, it doesn't work. "Wound Threshold" gets replaced with a new attribute "Wound sheet-Threshold". "Wound_Threshold" doesn't work, and neither does "Wound-Threshold", entering a value in either of those creates a new attribute. Using Wound "Ampersand EnBeEssPeeSemicolon" Theshold (spelled out here because otherwise the forum software turns it into a space) didn't work either. Any of those created a whole new attribute with the exact same name as my previous attribute ("Wound Threshold"), which I imagine is going to create trouble when I try to use my macros. Is there some trick to making character sheets work with attributes that have spaces in the name, or am I going to have to rebuild all my NPCs and monsters to use a new attribute? (Rebuilding them would be a real drag, by the way, because each character has 6 attributes with a space in them, and at least 2 attack macros that reference these values when they automate the damage done to the target. We're talking hundreds of multi-click alterations across dozens of NPCs to fix it at this point.)
Make the sheet attr_'s with the dash's, then just change the already existing attributes in the panel to match. It is either that, or delete them all and rebuild them from filling out the sheet.
Sounds like a lot of work rebuilding or changing everything. I was really hoping there'd be some sort of work-around that didn't require thousands of clicks to implement across dozens of NPCs, and wouldn't screw up my existing macros. Thanks for the advice, though. Can anyone think of a different way to make this work without less effort? I was hoping there might be a way to alter the character sheet master to make it recognize that the attribute has a space in it's name.
You could write a script to change the attributes over. Read in the attributes, call newname=oldname.replace(' ','-'), make a new attribute with the new name and old values, delete the old attribute
Thank you for the idea, Logan. That probably exceeds my scripting ability, though, as I haven't really messed with the API at all. Some fairly basic HTML is about the limits of my programming know-how. So unless the script itself is something simple that you could write up quickly/easily and hand over to me, I'll probably have to fall back on manual replacement.
Don't trouble yourself with it. I've figured out a work-around...not anything that's going to be helpful for other people's campaigns, I'm afraid, but it will work for my campaign. Rather than converting all 67 NPCs en masse and driving myself crazy, I triaged them. I fixed just the PCs, plus the NPCs that recur the most often. Then I copy-pasted a note to the ones that haven't been fixed yet so I can tell what changes they need done, but so that I don't have to go to the trouble of doing them all at once (especially not for characters that only rarely effect the plot). It'll still be thousands of clicks to fix them all, but I can do that piecemeal over time instead of all at once in a tedious block. I actually put the note in the NPCs name, so I can tell at a glance whether or not they've been fixed without even opening up their stats. It'll do for now.