Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

What do you do if the PCs go left when you prepped everything to go Right?

Not sure if there's a forum for this. And while I know this is a classic DM issue, it does relate to Roll20. So with Roll20 you need to have designed your maps, built your NPCs with macros, etc etc. You do a lot of pre-sgame prep. Which means that your players can do exactly what players do and utterly ignore all the content you've created and run off in their own direction. With Roll20, that means no matter whatever they get into, you have no map and no macros to whatever happens next. Are there any resources or methods to deal with this situation specific to Roll20?

Edited 1603717428
For this i have the random battlemap and it’s improvisation time! Most of the times i fire up kobold fight club, quickly enter the party and drop in a deadly encounter with monsters from the compendium. Then player T (it’s always him) starts to howl ‘oh no.... we should have gone left!!!’ And the party will try to follow the story again for a few sessions. if you like to improvise: - buy monster compendiums to drop in monsters on the fly. The kobold press ones bring in 400 nasty monsters each. - or base your games on modules like Curse of Sthrad or Tomb of Annihilation, which both bring 300-ish monsters and a lot of maps - or upgrade to pro and transmogrify maps and monsters in from other games on the fly If you don’t want to spend money, create a single random battle map with for example a parchment background and some generic monster tokens and then wing it.
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Never forget about the illusion of choice... they go left when you planned right? Just put everything you had planned for the right on the left instead, might need to introduce a narrative corridor that doubles back after a short distance to handle the fact that your maps are left to right but meh, get creative and throw a skill check in there somewhere to justify the corridor ;)

Edited 1603721037
Empty Flip mat, good idea. Oh I'm familiar with that "The door you opened is the one I wanted all along", but it's harder when it's the equivalent of "Everything points you guys to the spooky manor including a big neon sign" "Nah, can't be that, we're going to the swamp cuz two sessions ago you mentioned something about a witch there"
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
It's a tough problem with a VTT, because so much time has often already been spent making the go right choice optimal fun. Maps and monsters are laid out, and so forth. As a player who spends a good portion of time also being a GM, I realize this and do my best to pick up on clues dropped by the GM to follow the optimal path. It's part of the social compact we follow to make the game work at all. Otherwise, we'd all be in the town running taverns and bakeries. In this particular case, if you are the designer of the adventure, try to design for choice. Don't eliminate it; that would remove player agency. Have content both left and right. Ideally, either way could further the adventure, but in a perfect world, they would need to go both ways, and the choice becomes not "which way do we go?", but "which way do we go first? " If you are comfortable with the approach, there is a method that can work very well with Roll20. Instead of mapping out an entire dungeon, map out individual rooms or short room complexes. The corridors in between are theater of the mind. That way, you can arrange the order they are encountered on the fly. Was the last encounter a brutal meat grinder? The next room they encounter is empty and defensible, suitable for a rest. Do they need a clue as to how to proceed That abandoned study with the bad guy's orders to his lieutenant left carelessly on his desk is next. It's also suitable for mega dungeons. Frodo and Co. would never have made it through Moria if it were laid out like Undermountain. Instead, the adventure is laid out in set pieces: The Watcher fight at the West Gate, The few rooms around the Durin's Tomb, The bridge of the Balrog, and so forth. Everything in between is narration. I did this recently with a "lost city of the drow that became an abode of monsters" adventure and it worked quite well on Roll20. It also allowed me to keep all the maps of manageable size and to reinforce the feeling of being lost underground.